Kroc Center

gs3

Interesting news story just on WYFF.

Seems Greenville has been selected as only the second city in the nation to receive a Kroc Center. Ray Kroc, founder of the famous golden arches, and his wife set-up all their millions and millions of dollars to go toward helping people upon their death.

Last year in San Diego, the first Kroc Center opened. It's run by the Salvation Army (all money donated by the Kroc Foundation) and is a community center for the general population. It's multi buildings and includes aquatic, ice arena, skateboard park, educational rooms, performing arts center, school for performing arts, gymnasium, Lacrosse field, climbing walls, internet based library, weight rooms, fitness, etc, etc. The photo WYFF showed of the San Diego facility was pretty spectacular. Very modern, state of the art. I believe it said the San Diego facility cost something like 70 million.

I found a rendering of the San Diego facility: www.playitagainsd.com/kroccenter.html

Also check out the venues of San Diego's center at: www.kroccenter.org/venue_map.html

So......Greenville was selected from a large group of competing Southern cities. The facility is suppose to be in West End, right off Academy, on the vacant land right by the viaduct.

Knox White was on the news and stated this will be close in size to Riverplace. The Greenville Kroc Center is suppose to be around 60 million. This is yet another huge, quality of life investment in downtown Greenville! Way to go!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when I had asked myself what would go on that site this comes up. I saw the story on www.carolinachannel.com I like what I saw. If I'm not mistaken it would cost more than RiverPlace making it the largest single private investment downtown. Not sure though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice that they picked this site. It's one of the last large undeveloped tracts in downtown.

That is a 25 acre site. I wouldnt be surprised if what they did, only takes up a portion of it. They said that it would be able the size of riverplace adn that is like 10 acres and didn't it say somewhere the one in San Diego is 12 acres? I am just thinking that they have room to do this and still do a dozen office and condo buildings or more.

This seems to me like big news. Anybody else find it odd that the Greenville News had made no mention of this yet in the paper. I was hoping they would have an article on it this morning. I was disappointed that they did not.

This seems to me like big news.  Anybody else find it odd that the Greenville News had made no mention of this yet in the paper.  I was hoping they would have an article on it this morning.  I was disappointed that they did not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was expecting to see something in the paper also. The night WYFF aired the story, they said they had the exclusive, but that doesn't rule out a newspaper story.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see anything in today's paper; however, I did find the following article posted on the Greenville News Web Site listed under today's (Sunday's) local news for Greenville County:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2005/01/3...05013057660.htm

The odd thing about this article is that it was posted on "Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 8:02 pm;" however, it is listed under today's local news articles.

The article says that the meeting is going to be on "Monday" but doesn't give a specific date. It's a bit confusing.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2005/06/1...05061666228.htm

Greenville to get $46 million from the Salvation Army to build Kroc Community Center

The Kroc Center will be built on land bordering Academy and Hudson streets.

It will feature the following:

- a skateboard park

- a junior golf course

- indoor and outdoor recreational facilities

- a performing arts area

- a family enrichment center

- an ice rink built to National Hockey League standards

- more

There is an article in the Journal on this too.

The Boys and Girls Clubs and Christians in the Arts will be in the center. It will have an education center with computer labs, and a water park as well as the other items listed above.

Other cities getting a Kroc Center are Charlotte, Atlanta, Louisville and Biloxi

Is the west side of town an area that could particularly use such a facility as the Kroc Center?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is. This will definitely be a shot in the arm and should allow the Boys and Girls Club to do some things it wants to do for the community.

WSPA-7 did a good piece on it the other night. Here's a link to the video clip and story:

http://www.wspa.com/servlet/Satellite?page...&path=!home

Archived