A VISION FOR PROVIDENCE

Cotuit

Cotuit, last night would of been perfect to wear an urbanplanet.org T-shirt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How sad that several people from this forum went to the meetings and didn't make plans to meet each other. A perfect opportunity to meet other members wasted. And I'm not surprised to hear that residents from the east side/fox point/college hill were vocal. They are the biggest whiners and cry babies in the city when it comes to development projects downcity or in their neighborhoods.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone please remind me when my hair turns blue that the youth are the future, please. The blue hairs are a problem (excuse me while I paint with broad brushes for a second)...

I'd like to think that whatever age you are, as long as you look beyond yourself and are plugged into the issues, you still realize what's important. I'm about 10 years removed from the nightclub thing and the late night partying/drinking thing, but I sure as hell recognize the importance of those activities in a place like Thayer St. and downtown and how they create a sense of place.

I was talking briefly with Ed Bishop (who wants to do the hotel on Thayer) who implied a lot of anger at how he was going to have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to "fight the NIMBYs" (his quote, not mine) and agreed with my assertion that Thayer needs to be reimagined and expressed some frustration that such plans have been proposed before but never acted on.

The mayor has a lot of work ahead of him educating the older people why there are no trees along 95 in Providence (and why there shouldn't be), why tall buildings are not a threat, why young people are important to the city's economy, and how the city will protect the elderly population's quality of life, while catering to a younger crowd. Tough job, but he needs the youth to build the economy as much as he needs the old peoples' votes.

The thing I don't understand about the militant AARP crowd is why they live here in a city and why they care. If they don't want restaurants, and don't want nightlife, and don't want anything other than the most achingly conservation cultural options, and they don't want retail, and they don't want street activity, etc. etc., what do they get out of living in Providence? Is it just that their house is paid off? Does it feeds some self-satisfied idea that they are better than their peers in Century Village or they outlasted their friends who've fled to Las Vegas or Flagstaff? What is their interest in being in an urban environment?

- Garris

PS: The audience member comment of, "They didn't build skyscrapers on the lake in Chicago" had me laughing out loud... I don't know what Chicago he's seen, but...

How sad that several people from this forum went to the meetings and didn't make plans to meet each other. A perfect opportunity to meet other members wasted. And I'm not surprised to hear that residents from the east side/fox point/college hill were vocal. They are the biggest whiners and cry babies in the city when it comes to development projects downcity or in their neighborhoods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To clarify, there really wasn't any East Side/College hill talk whatsoever... It was all Fox Point, all the time...

- Garris

How sad that several people from this forum went to the meetings and didn't make plans to meet each other. A perfect opportunity to meet other members wasted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Herb Weiss from Pawtucket has offered to lead a tour of the city for us. I have to confirm that he is interested and then we can come up with a time if members are interested.

I've thought about facilitating some sort of group meet, of course the cloak of anominity is nice sometimes. If there's interest in having a meeting, we certainly can.

:unsure: what is wrong with C-town Cotuit ;):wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hee hee, :silly:

Herb Weiss from Pawtucket has offered to lead a tour of the city for us. I have to confirm that he is interested and then we can come up with a time if members are interested.

I've thought about facilitating some sort of group meet, of course the cloak of anominity is nice sometimes. If there's interest in having a meeting, we certainly can.

Hee hee,  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a new relatively member of this forum, I find inspiring that this many people can get together on a regular basis and share thoughts, and ideas. As a member of the audience in the 2020 program, I also seen that with the fox-pointers. What we have missing with our online community is the ability to have a voice. We can email officials to death with our plans and thoughts, but what if we could have a weekly/bi-weekly or more fees able would be a monthly open forum in person. We could invite guest speakers. I think what im trying to get at is that were all from different backgrounds but we come together on issues and debate in a very personal way. I know I

So, I was there tonight. I was (as usual) the one yapping about affordable housing - which, by the way, they completely bypassed, but are supposedly working on for the followup report. They pulled out "shared parking" as a critical issue, but not affordable housing? C'mon...

Overall, I found it interesting, but, as others have said, definitly lacking in details and action. I like the Dorrance Park concept (especially since it will obliterate the building Inspections and Standards is in!), but other than that, everything was pretty much the same old same old. I especially liked the slide that showed about a dozen plans already done, just for the study area! The mapping graphics were very impressive, though. Some intern in their office has been very busy at their GIS workstation...

The fox pointers were again out in force, though I imagine less so than last night. Pretty funny. I'm betting that Sasaki is really wishing that they left India Point out of the plan!

Some intern in their office has been very busy at their GIS workstation...

Hehe, that's hilarious! I was thinking nearly the same thing myself. It was quite impressive that every map also had correct geography and elevation. I was thinking to myself that someone in their office was very proud of that touch...

The fox pointers were again out in force, though I imagine less so than last night. Pretty funny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Darn, oh well...

- Garris

To finish this thought I going to say that I am willing to shed to the screen and have U.P. – Providence meeting. I would find amazing if we could nail down a guest the likes of Herb Weiss. It could only leave us with at the very least a political presence. Who knows, the fox – pointers and the all NIMBY’s for that matter could be talking that crap about us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've maintained for a while that Providence could use a "Citizens for Urbanism in Providence" (CUP!) group that would counter the NIMBYs and promote smart growth of higher density, more pedestrian, more street oriented life. It could meet from time to time and push a public agenda (newspaper editorials, ads, etc.). I also would too certainly be willing to shed the screen...

- Garris

For anyone that went tonight, I was in the back-right corner. I have a beard. It was an interesting affair. I thought it was pretty informative. Their gonna put a park where Peter Griffin stadium was supposed to go! It's good though. I agreed that development near a park is a wonderful idea.

For anyone that went tonight, I was in the back-right corner.  I have a beard.  It was an interesting affair.  I thought it was pretty informative.  Their gonna put a park where Peter Griffin stadium was supposed to go!  It's good though.  I agreed that development near a park is a wonderful idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the park idea very much so... (Thats Proposal one of the park) I really enjoyed the WBRU concert seris when i was younger and i hope a park like this could house these and other local cultural events. Even just bringing family down to the area, who knows go fly a kite... I like it. I also like the idae of fox point river walk connecting with already existing river walk, do you think that would directly connect The east bay bike path with providence?

I also like the idae of fox point river walk connecting with already existing river walk, do you think that would directly connect The east bay bike path with providence?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It definitely should. RIDOT hired a consultant last year to see how to connect all the bike paths to downcity. This would be a good option and a great start.

It definitely should.  RIDOT hired a consultant last year to see how to connect all the bike paths to downcity.  This would be a good option and a great start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mind is blown! Im not up-to-date on other bike paths such as the east bay bike path, are there any links to them?

My mind is blown! Im not up-to-date on other bike paths such as the east bay bike path, are there any links to them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Head over to the Skating Center on May 20, 7am til 10am, it's Bike to Work day and last year they had tables set up with a wealth of information about bike paths, etc. (all the latest stuff). Might even be me behind the RIDOT table again....although its not lookin good so far.

Here's my idea for a Redesigned Dean Street Interchange.

The ramps on the Federal Hill side of the interchange are replaced by a new slingshot ramp bringing traffic from the north side of the bridge down to Route 6 Eastbound. Traffic from Route 6 Eastbound goes straight up to Dean rather than having to swing around the on-ramp. This frees up this large amount of land for redevelopment.

DePasquale Plaza is extended through to the highway's edge, with mixed use structures lining it in similar style to the existing plaza.

West Exchange Street is realligned to meet the ramp from 6 East. Traffic Coming off Route 6 can turn left or right onto Dean or go straight down W. Exchange into Downcity, or to the Convention Centre Garage.

Sasaki proposed making Acorn Street the focal point of a redeveloped Promenade area, so Acorn is extended over the highway to reconnect it with Federal Hill. The ramp up to the new bridge from the north will be tight between the buildings at Harris Ave., and one may have to go to make room for the ramp and allow space between the building and the ramp for a pedestrian walkway to Harris Ave.

From the north side of the Dean Street Bridge a pedestrian ramp would lead down to Harris Ave.

Buildings would be added to the empty parcels north of the highway, creating a streetwall along Dean, on-street parking can be added in this area.

The ramp from 6 West that now parallels Dean Street would end at a right angle instead, there would be a traffic light here.

Cedar Street is extended through the area where the ramps were. The western end of Cedar Street would feature a courtyard at Acorn Street.

The Dean/Atwells intersection would be narrowed and realligned slightly. The right turn lane from Dean to Atwells would be realligned to feed into a one-way Weeden Street, with a traffic light and pedestrian crossing. The triangle and a thin strip beside the roadway would be park space, making the intersection into a square like area.

Spruce Street would be made two-way to allow for residents north of Atwells to not have to use Atwells, reducing traffic stress on Atwells.

Between Cedar, Dean, and DePasquale is a large building with a parking structure in it's core. This building could be relatively tall, up to 15 stories perhaps. Retail at the street level, and residential above. Beside this building is a small pocket park, with an extension running south from Cedar to Spruce, allowing pedstrians coming from the north to walk straight down to the retail zone on Spruce.

At the western end of Spruce Street, smaller scale multi-family homes would fill in the space where the ramps used to be.

Alternately to the slingshot ramp for traffic heading to East 6, the ramps for East 6 could be centered on Acorn Street, with ramps straight up and back down. Ramps to/from West 6 would be on the north side of Dean and ramps to/from East 6 would be on the south side of Acorn. Service Roads would connect Dean and Acorn to each other.

EDIT: Alternte without sligshot ramp.

Here's my idea for a Redesigned Dean Street Interchange.

West Exchange Street is realligned to meet the ramp from 6 East. Traffic Coming off Route 6 can turn left or right onto Dean or go straight down W. Exchange into Downcity, or to the Convention Centre Garage.

Sasaki proposed making Acorn Street the focal point of a redeveloped Promenade area, so Acorn is extended over the highway to reconnect it with Federal Hill. The ramp up to the new bridge from the north will be tight between the buildings at Harris Ave., and one may have to go to make room for the ramp and allow space between the building and the ramp for a pedestrian walkway to Harris Ave.

From the north side of the Dean Street Bridge a pedestrian ramp would lead down to Harris Ave.

The ramp from 6 West that now parallels Dean Street would end at a right angle instead, there would be a traffic light here.

I really like the idea of a route 6 exit going right into West Exhange, that would take some traffic off of the Memorial Blvd/Francis Street intersection to get downcity.

How bad is Dean for pedestrians? I know it has sidewalks, they narrow and scary or discontinous or what? I've heard that people hate making that crossing in this forum before.

It'd be cool if they decked over Route 6 and the Amtrak line, that'd really connect Promenade with Federal Hill. Is that possible over Amtrak?

I really like the idea of a route 6 exit going right into West Exhange, that would take some traffic off of the Memorial Blvd/Francis Street intersection to get downcity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would also eliminate a traffic light on Dean (though my plan would likely add traffic lights at Spruce and Cedar). Currently there is a light at Dean and W. Exchange, and a light at Dean and the highway ramps.

How bad is Dean for pedestrians?  I know it has sidewalks, they narrow and scary or discontinous or what?  I've heard that people hate making that crossing in this forum before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a nightmare. Coming from the north the issues are:

The Dean and Valley intersection has turning lanes merging into it, traffic is heavy and fast moving, crosswalks are placed at odd areas where pedestrians can't see oncoming traffic and oncoming traffic can't see pedestrians.

The area south of here is devoid of anything, You literally feel like you are walking on a highway, there's nothing to look at, it seems like you are walking forever.

The ramp to 6 West angles off in a highway-like configuration. The crosswalk is again set so pedestrians can't see on-coming traffic and traffic can't see pedestrians, grating to protect from the Amtrak wires exacerbate this. In order to see traffic, pedestrians must cross a very wide area where traffic moves very fast, and is very heavy. Turn signals on on-coming traffic are little help in determining if it is safe to cross.

Across the bridge at the ramp to 6 East, there is a similar highway like configuration, the sight problems of the other areas aren't a problem here though.

Crossing the traffic coming from Route 6 East is done via a ramp that traffic is only required to yield at, again turn signals are little help in determining which way the traffic goes.

On the East side of Dean Street, there is no sidewalk at all, even though there are less places to cross, the sightline issues are not present, and most pedestrians would be coming from or going toward the East at the northern end.

It'd be cool if they decked over Route 6 and the Amtrak line, that'd really connect Promenade with Federal Hill.  Is that possible over Amtrak?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's certainly possible, but probably not economically feesible on the foreseable future.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at this presentation. It seemed like they rehashed Cianci's New Cities, except replaced Westminster Crossing with the I-195 Relo... The park ~ Ship Street was nice..

I thought the most startling thing was the flight of "yuppies" (24-35 educated workforce)... Why is that? You have very good colleges in Providence, and cheap housing.. The city is a nice place to live..

But.. there are no jobs.. Downtown is a shell of a past jewelry/munfacturing/financial district, and now it is going residential??? Where will people work if jobs do come to RI? The vacancy rate is low, and the only new development is residential.. In fact, 2000 new units to hit the market in the next couple years.. There is no need for residential down town.. I think that is a huge mistake.. People should work downtown, and live in the surrounding hoods.. Otherwise, the city will not function properly, and the hoods will be further cut off from the core...

In my opinion, jobs don't follow people; people follow jobs.. The niche client these developers are going for is Empty Nesters and people like me who live in Prov, yet commute to Boston.. That is not a huge niche..

That needs to change.. The push needs to be for a highly skilled wokrforce living and working in the city.. And until new jobs come here, Prov will just be an attraction, not a living city or destination..

Making the business climate better should be the #1 driver for the city, hands down... More high paid workers and tax paying business, and Prov will offset the "cost" of having non-coffer paying education institutions.. And the moves the city has been making to improve quality of life will start to reap benefits..

The city has SOOOO much potential.. I'd hate to see it wasted.. Again..

I understand that without more businesses in Providence, the only taxpayers will be the residents.. and taxes will stay high.. right? That is how I understand it. (I'm probably completely wrong ;) ) but even if that is true.. (that residents will pay very high taxes..)the cost of living is still considerably cheaper here in providence than in surrounding competing areas such as boston, correct? So we still have time to attract these businesses before maybe someday.. we won't be much cheaper than boston.. and other desireable places.

I understand that without more businesses in Providence, the only taxpayers will be the residents.. and taxes will stay high.. right?  That is how I understand it. (I'm probably completely wrong ;) ) but even if that is true.. (that residents will pay very high taxes..)the cost of living is still considerably cheaper here in providence than in surrounding competing areas such as boston, correct? So we still have time to attract these businesses before maybe someday.. we won't be much cheaper than boston.. and other desireable places.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boston is actually cheaper to run a business I believe.. I'm not sure though.. Gets a bad rap, but Prov is actually a worse biz climate..

But no question.. Living.. Prov is SOOOOOO much more affordable..

I lived in both, and I'd say you need to make roughly only 2/3s the salary here to have your quality of life stay the same.. And if you make Boston $$, and live in Prov costs.. Well... Its doubly beneficial..

Archived