Who will get naming rights to the Charlotte Arena?

Who will get naming rights to the new Arena  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get naming rights to the new Arena

• SunCom
    • SunTrust
    • Duke Energy
    • Wachovia
    • Cingular Wireless
    • US Airways
    • Continental Tire
    • Lowe's
    • Lending Tree
    • Piedmont Natural Gas
    • BellSouth
    • BET
    • None. It will remain "Charlotte Arena"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What made it so that The Coliseum and the old Coliseum never got named? Was the city in such good financial times then that they didn't need any money or was it just something that wasn't done back then?

Even though Johnson owns BET, I don't think it would take on that name. It would be too racially divisive to name an arena after one racial group.

What made it so that The Coliseum and the old Coliseum never got named?  Was the city in such good financial times then that they didn't need any money or was it just something that wasn't done back then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Coliseum(s) were built before corporate naming rights became a national trend of increased revenue. Of course later Independence Arena became Cricket Arena so I don't know why the current Coliseum wasn't re-named. Maybe it had something to do with Shinn, since he and the city couldn't really reach an agreement on anything.

What exatly is the difference between a "coliseum" and an "arena"? Just a play on words?

I picked SunTrust, but there needs to be an option to say "none of the above".

(SunTrust would have the most to gain out of the choices given I think, though it is a regional bank).

Wachovia: already has arenas in Philly.

BofA: too much confusion with the stadium

BellSouth: too much of a regional name

Piedmont Natural Gas: "ooo, let's switch gas companies because of their naming rights"

Lowe's: too much confusion with the race track

BET: wouldn't gain from paying for naming rights (unless he put name on it for free)

Could be Sony (ie Atlanta's arena is Philips).

The official name (and the name that is going up on the green highway signs), right now, is "New Charlotte Arena". Yes, the word "New" is an official part of the name given to the NCDOT.

What exatly is the difference between a "coliseum" and an "arena"?  Just a play on words?

I picked SunTrust, but there needs to be an option to say "none of the above".

(SunTrust would have the most to gain out of the choices given I think, though it is a regional bank).

Wachovia: already has arenas in Philly.

BofA: too much confusion with the stadium

BellSouth:  too much of a regional name

Piedmont Natural Gas:  "ooo, let's switch gas companies because of their naming rights"

Lowe's: too much confusion with the race track

BET: wouldn't gain from paying for naming rights (unless he put name on it for free)

Could be Sony (ie Atlanta's arena is Philips).

The official name (and the name that is going up on the green highway signs), right now, is "New Charlotte Arena".  Yes, the word "New" is an official part of the name given to the NCDOT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amercian Airlines has naming rights to two different arenas. Miami and Dallas

BellSouth is the third largest telecommunications company in the Americas

Duke does more than sell electricity to Carolinians. One of the largest energy conglomerates in the world.

Lowe's Motor Speedway reaches an American tv audience four times a year. Compare that to the amount of NBA games.

PacBell has the baseball stadium in San Francisco, SBC has the one in San Antonio, RBC Centura in Raleigh. Regional names work, especially when you need to get your name in the market, i.e. Cricket Arena in Charlotte. SunTrust and SunCom are very strong candidates.

The difference between the Original Coliseum, the present one off Tyvola, and the new Bobcats arena, is the city approved (by voters) and constructed the first two without the influence of the NBA. Hence the city did not have to sell the name of the first two arenas as civic projects normally don't get named for corportions.

The bobcats arena on the other hand, was approved specifically for and for the exclusive use of the NBA. And even though the taxpayers paid for it just like the first two, control was turned over to the money grubbing NBA which has no problem selling the rights to the highest bidder. This is the big difference between the the 3 venues. I will remind the reader the Charlotte voters voted against building the arena for the NBA, but the city council did it anyway.

Personally I think DT Charlotte would have been much better off it they had snubbed the NBA and instead spend the $400M on something for downtown that would have appealed to a much bigger audience. I guess it was too much to hope for.

I think it will be SunCom (how I loathe their commercials) just because they are on a huge campaign to increase brand awareness here. The same could be argued for SunTrust (plus they have reason to loathe First Union and spite might even be an incentive)

Why SunCom?  Because they're SunCom...and they get it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, if they "got it", they would not be using the proto yuppie, lets do my hair to hide the receeding hairline, Harry Connick Jr, as their spokesman in this area. :P They could have at least used his Independence Day persona.

Does anyone actually buy his music?

Haha, if they "got it", they would not be using the proto yuppie, lets do my hair to hide the receeding hairline, Harry Connick Jr, as their spokesman in this area.    :P  They could have at least used his Independence Day persona. 

Does anyone actually buy his music?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I confess, I own a few of his CDs :blush: ...they are actually very good.

Those commercials are so annoying though. And I can't get that stupid jingle out of my head.

• 1 month later...

The Observer has said that the Bobcats are ceasing operations of CSET!!! IMO, this is a great move for them, seeing how they pissed people off being so private.

Bobcats pull plug on C-SET network

Team will air more games on basic cable, free TV

11:40 a.m. C-SET, the regional sports and entertainment network created by Charlotte Bobcats owner Bob Johnson, is ceasing operations on June 30.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/12005543.htm

As a TWC employee the idea was good for the company, but I'll be happy if they get rid of it. A great way to start a fan base is for bars and restaurants to air the games. Its nice to go to a bar and watch a game with other fans. Plus some people who might not normally watch the game at home would watch at a bar.

Archived