Who will get naming rights to the Charlotte Arena?

Who will get naming rights to the new Arena  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get naming rights to the new Arena

• SunCom
    • SunTrust
    • Duke Energy
    • Wachovia
    • Cingular Wireless
    • US Airways
    • Continental Tire
    • Lowe's
    • Lending Tree
    • Piedmont Natural Gas
    • BellSouth
    • BET
    • None. It will remain "Charlotte Arena"

Yes more chances for me to see how the new arena looks without setting foot in it. Hopefully I'll will be able to see it for the CIAA even though my school is no longer an official CIAA school anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not meaning to jump off topic but haivng the CIAA is definitely a plus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the major metropolis areas the arenas acting as billboards are more important than mentions of their name on television. The Coliseum is nowhere near anything way out on Tyvola so noone was interested in naming rights. Schinn would have taken any money thrown at him.

I vote for SunTrust Arena. It will eventually be named, so it might as well be named for a good, solid company that needs the PR.

Whose arena will it be and why is it taking so long to name the arena. Why can't we just get a solid company to invest in long term advertising. I think that it would be stupid for SunTrust not to take advantage of their great timing. They are trying to break into the 2nd largest banking center with a few commercials and billboards, come on. They need an advertising anchor to compete with BofA and Wachovia. And the brand new arena is just sitting there in uptown for everyone to see. What are they thinking by dragging their feet? They should pay the money and establish themselves unless they are looking for a merger in the near future and hope to be swallowed up by on of the big guys.

Apparently Bobcats management is holding out for the average price that many other NBA teams get for naming rights. However, being that this is a smaller market of sorts, this is a foolish strategy and they may never get that price. It's also stupid to wait because once the lustre of the spanking new arena wears off and its had its initial honeymoon with the public, the value of those naming rights will drop fairly precipitously. Most of the "value" of the name is baked into the attention the arena will get as it opens.

They must be driving a hard bargain, I agree that a name should be in place well in advance of the grand opening. I think that it would look like bad business practice to pay for New Charlotte Arena signage only to change the signs quickly thereafter and fott the bill while also losing the value and prestige (as prevously stated) that goes along with a new arena

with UNC point guard Raymond Felton just drafted to the bobcat's, interest may instantly increase with all the local UNC basketball fans. If Sean May is picked, that would further enhance that interest....

That may have been a major factor in the Bobcat's choice.

In other news, the Bobcats selected Tar Heels Raymond Felton and Sean May in the draft tonight!!! This should definitely help their turnouts and bring many Tar Heel fans into the mix, bringing more people to the street and uptown facilities.

Bobcats go for Heels

Felton taken at No. 5, May at No. 13

The Charlotte Bobcats took North Carolina's Raymond Felton with the fifth pick in the draft. They added teammate Sean May at No. 13.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/12008013.htm

Remember though, basketball is a game of money...Don't expect Felton, May, or Okafor to stay around for long.  Especially if this team doesn't produce within 2-3 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very true... BUT it was a great move for right now, when they are trying to create a fan base in a college basketball state. There are significant numbers of Tar Heel fans in Charlotte who are very proud of May and Felton for their performance this past march madness... and i'm certain that the [who the heck cares about the] Bobcats got some instant fans tonight. I know a few people who are already talking about getting tickets for some games this fall that previously had zero interest in the Bobcats.

I'd say they actually have some chance of getting some tar heel fans from other parts of the state and region to go out of their way to come to a bobcats game. It is a good strategy. It may not help them win, as they are just rookies and all that... but fan interest is crucial... and they just tapped a big keg of it.

While it may help attract fans in the short run there were definetely better picks (for the bobcats) that were available at 13. Not to say Sean May will make a bad pro, but having Rookie of the year at power forward already, I hardly think we needed May, especially considering who was left in the draft. But yeah, I was at the Bobcats draft party and everyone there went crazy because we got two UNC players, so in the short run it probablly will help attendance.

Remember though, basketball is a game of money...Don't expect Felton, May, or Okafor to stay around for long.  Especially if this team doesn't produce within 2-3 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they'll be around for a while. No one expects the team to do well since it's an expansion team. With Okafor and now Felton and May, they have 3 guys who have won a national championship. It's all about branding and image. A few mock drafts had the high school kid taken by Boston as higher than either of Charlotte's picks, but you knew Charlotte wasn't going to take a high school kid. We need polished guys who can go into the community and create some good will.

another key benefit to Felton and May, is that they are not likely to cause embarassment to the team through character flaws. They are both relatively humble and disciplined. That will be another key to winning fans in charlotte, as the NBA does not have that image overall. Few in charlotte want to pay 30-80 bucks to go see millionaire hoodlums show off... but when your stars are hard-working, humble guys who play their hearts out, that is when people around here will round up the kids and support the team.

I think that this draft has been one of the best drafts of any team ever. Both picks are low-risk picks that not only bring winners to the team, with three years of college experience, they can be physically and mentally competitive.

But the biggest plus of course is that it will really bring interest to the team. I agree 110% that this will do wonders to fill the crowds....I foresee this bringing lots of people to Uptown that may never have ventured there regularly before.

Now the mission is to make sure that these people are easily able to navigate Uptown to find parking, and maybe they will be compelled to visit for other events if the "confusing Uptown" stigma is gone.

Archived