Who will get naming rights to the Charlotte Arena?

Who will get naming rights to the new Arena  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get naming rights to the new Arena

• SunCom
    • SunTrust
    • Duke Energy
    • Wachovia
    • Cingular Wireless
    • US Airways
    • Continental Tire
    • Lowe's
    • Lending Tree
    • Piedmont Natural Gas
    • BellSouth
    • BET
    • None. It will remain "Charlotte Arena"

why not the "food lion" arena....that way charlotte could keep up it 's silly obsession with felines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because Lions are tougher cats the the host Bobcats....

Since this is the Bible belt, so why not the Billy Graham Ministries? They could call it "the Chappel"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another key benefit to Felton and May, is that they are not likely to cause embarassment to the team through character flaws.  They are both relatively humble and disciplined.  That will be another key to winning fans in charlotte, as the NBA does not have that image overall.  Few in charlotte want to pay 30-80 bucks to go see millionaire hoodlums show off... but when your stars are hard-working, humble guys who play their hearts out, that is when people around here will round up the kids and support the team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're right about May, but I hope you're right about Felton. He was pretty cocky at Carolina.

I think you're right about May, but I hope you're right about Felton. He was pretty cocky at Carolina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"relatively" humble and disciplined. I think cockiness is a staple of athletes, but among athletes those guys are in the top tier when it comes to character. That was a staple of much of the sports journalists assessments of them, and what they bring to the bobcats.

are there any examples of jointly named places? Like the Belk-Wachovia Arena or the Continental-Goodrich Arena?

i'd imagine it be too much risk for a company to associate so closely with another company... but gives both companies the benefit of the exposure without having the put up the full amount.

Nooooooo Steve!  I can't handle the "Big B" arena.  Even their employees make fun of the curly Q "B".  Besides,  UNCC already has the Belk Arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Davidson College has the Belk Arena; UNC Charlotte has Halton Arena...UNCC does have the Belk Gym though :thumbsup:

There is an article in todays Observer talking about the naming rights for the arena. It says they are looking for a deal worth $2.5 mil. - 4 mil. a year depending on whats included in the deal. The Bobcats don't seem to be worried if the arena opens without naming rights in place, they feel the buzz of the arena opening will attract interest. Also, Bank of America and Wachovia have both said there not interested in putting their name on the arena.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/12045500.htm

i think its gonna remain the new charlotte arena or just the charlotte arena because charlotte is a city thats gonna get noticed and trying and it is develping fast. the charlotte bobcats were mentioned several times at the bet awards though you never know

Thanks S&Z.

I read that article too. I doubt that Mr. Weiler would tell us if they were really in a hurry to get a name on the arena. Being pushed for time definitely gives the companies that are interested the upper hand when haggling over price. If the 'Cats act like they don't care about getting the arena named before opening day, then they can act like they don't have to take whatever offer is on the table now. However, I do think that they should resolve the issue now. They need the positive business publicity to counterract the C-SET fiasco. Drafting the Chapel Hill Alums will help the sports fan, but they need to exhibit stability to increase the belief in their company from the viewpoint of other possible sponsors. They need to sell sponsorship for the arena's many interior placements.

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/Corporate_Partn...otte_Arena.html

i think its gonna remain the new charlotte arena or just the charlotte arena because charlotte is a city thats gonna get noticed and trying and it is develping fast. the charlotte bobcats were mentioned several times at the bet awards though you never know

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it was mention every year by Bob Johnson at the BET Awards, prolly will be mention again at the BET 25 Years Special with Bob Johnson. The last 2 years it was, Welcome Bob Johnson, CEO and Founder of BET and owner for the NBA Charlotte Bobcats and WNBA Charlotte Stings.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived