Acosta Bridge Jumper?

Captain Obvious

I was just checking the news4jax.com webcams. There appears to be a man standing on the wrong side of the pedestrian guard-rails of the Acosta bridge downtown!!!

I hope this is just some foolish person who doesn't understand the danger, rather than a suicide attempt. (On the bright side - sort of - the Acosta bridge isn't too high. Hopefully a jumper wouldn't do fatal harm to themselves)

None of the local websites have any info on this at all as of 4:30pm ... but the "Bank of America" webcam is pointing right at him

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

acostalunatic3.jpg

It looked like the above two pictures for several minutes. All the way up to 4:39pm. Then at 4:44 the picture refreshed ....

acostalunatic4.jpg

I have no idea if he jumped, the police talked him down, or maybe there were never police, and he just walked off? (Im assuming there were police there, because the wjxt tower cam showed orange cones on the bridge, and there appeared to be no traffic.)

This isn't the first time. A couple of months ago, while on the Skyway, crossing the Acosta, on my way to the Landing, and noticed a guy attempting to jump and a police trying to talk him out of it.

For the next two hours I watched from my seat at Southend as this guy held up both, boat and vehicular traffic from moving in the area. He also caused the Skyway to get shut down, which meant I had to sit at the Landing much longer then planned.

It got to the point, where we just wanted him to make a decision, even if it included jumping, since the bridge isn't that high anyway.

In the end, I think the guy just wanted some attention or else he would have jumped long before the police got there.

ok, i thought i would be considered insensitive or angry, but half the time i think the person just wants some attention, because if you really want to kill yourself, you would just do it!!! and i mean, come on>> there are so many other ways to do it that isn't so public! so i tend to think that if in most cases you just ignored the person, they would get down and move on with their day! you know, we all have choices, and well>>> decisions, and we have to live with the consequences of those decisions...that's all there is to it.

CC

i think the person just wants some attention, because if you really want to kill yourself, you would just do it!!! and i mean, come on>>  there are so many other ways to do it that isn't so public!  so i tend to think that if in most cases you just ignored the person, they would get down and move on with their day!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly correct. Very few suicides are public. Those that are public usually request a message or leave a message behind and attempt to use their death as a form of statement.

Speaking of suicide, anyone remember the jumper at 11E? It was last year, I think.

Also, speaking of the Skyway, anyone remember when the first opened the Acosta crossing, the Skyway car stopped on the bridge, opened its doors and said "Now arriving at San Marco Station". Those poor people sat in the car with the doors wide open, overlooking the river. I read about it in the Jacksonville.com archives somewhere.

had the pleasure of seeing the body on the ground something like 10mins after she jumped from the top of 11E. a sight i could have done without. as for the skyway incident... well, the train was a little confused and probably didn't want to go over the bridge in the first place, needs some therapy???

I too had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing the jumper (post jump) at 11E. One of colleagues was sitting in his truck, facing 11E, on the top parking deck across the street and actually saw her fly by.

Heh Heh, it is kinda sad that everyone has been wrapped up in the suspected demise of a fellow Jacksonvillian because there hasn't been to much development to talk about.

There may be good news on the Shipyards though...(read the newest thread)

Archived