Dead Sea Scrolls Coming to Charlotte

Donation helps bring Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit

One of the Carolinas' most charitable families is helping bring to Charlotte one of the city's most highly anticipated museum exhibits.

Leon and Sandra Levine, through their foundation, are donating $200,000 to Discovery Place for a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit opening Feb. 17 at the science and technology museum on North Tryon Street uptown. The exhibit is expected to draw more than 200,000 visitors during its run of at least three months.

The Levine gift has helped Discovery Place make inroads toward raising the $1.5 million museum leaders figure it will take to put on the exhibit.

Leon Levine, founder of Family Dollar Stores, said he's proud to play a part in bringing some of history's most sacred objects to Discovery Place.

"I've read about it and heard about it," Leon Levine told the Observer. "I never thought Charlotte would be able to get something like this."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it was at the Mint and I remember waiting in line for it. I still have my authentic imitation ancient Egyptian vase that I purchased from the event. I wonder if they will be selling plastic Chinese made deal sea tablets at this time around?

Archived