Has fate of the old library already been decided?

bobliocatt

Several problems with the DRC and DDA, having been through several of them, is attendance of the board is meager at best. so votes ate 3:2 or 4:1, and right now the DRC doesn't even have an architect on it's panel. They quibble over issues that are outside of the realm of what the DRC is supposed to focus on and neglect the ones that they should be enforcing.

Having said that, if a zoning code/ordinance is in place it is the responsibility of the developer/designer,whoever to follow that ordinance. Just because the DDA/DRC neglects to enforce it at the beginning of a project and enforces it closer to the end, does not let the developer off the hook. It is the same thing as submitting construction docs to the fire marshall, if he misses something or neglects to enforce something, the responsibility is still on the architect to make sure everything is to code.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, with that said, the last thing I want to see go on that site is another single user, with one main entrance, leaving large sections of two main streets, dead as a doornail.  At this stage, I'm all about street vibrancy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^ A very important and critical point, IMO. Creating some street interaction is a "must-have" from whichever proposal is accepted.

Question to the forumers that want to preserve the existing building: Would you support demolition if a modern high-rise with multiple uses were proposed?

Not trying to make a statement, just curious.

good question, don't know... to a certian sense is that we have enough modern highrises (of course you end up with the effort of defining Modern?? for example the Duval Street? project by the unbuilt courthouse that started off as a ultramodern building and then became a modern building, but with a very classical definition??) i think that the fear is that here is a modern building that already exists, with the likely hood of it becoming ruble to be replace with some "psuedo" traditional such as the new library>> a building that has no street interatction. it comes down to the struggle of a few people in this city to see a modern city, a city of the future, not trying to recreate some "disney"-esque Main Street USA or Rome during the empire.

Urabn Legend>> i understand your point, but i think i was little surprised at the personal attack on Hardwick and Morgan... most of Frank LLoyd Wrights designs leak and had previous buildings demolished... should they be demolished?? it is an architect's job to build, can't fault them for that>>> but don't worry, your dream will come true, since most of Hardwick's designs are being demolished... have a nice day.

^^ A very important and critical point, IMO.  Creating some street interaction is a "must-have" from whichever proposal is accepted.

Question to the forumers that want to preserve the existing building:  Would you support demolition if a modern high-rise with multiple uses were proposed? 

Not trying to make a statement, just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another question? How do you feel about a new building that incorporates portions of the existing facade into its design?

Another question?  How do you feel about a new building that incorporates portions of the existing facade into its design?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A number of the FAMU students attempted this and it just didn't work very well, i think that the building is a all here or all gone situation. as for the multi-use highrise, i think it is a wonderful concept, but if the multi use is only at the base, it becomes much like what we have now>>> how about a pool on the 30 floor, now that's gutsy!! the Peninsula has a pool deck on the 10th floor and a roof top lounge, and the building is still bland.

I still think that dynamite is the only thing that will truly work with the building. However, if we keep the building, then since there is about a full story difference between the Forsyth frontage and Adams frontage, if Peterbrooke (or anyone, for that matter) redeveloped the building, the Forsyth St side (save the metal parking garage across the street) would be perfect for a sidewalk cafe.

I still think that dynamite is the only thing that will truly work with the building.  However, if we keep the building, then since there is about a full story difference between the Forsyth frontage and Adams frontage, if Peterbrooke (or anyone, for that matter) redeveloped the building, the Forsyth St side (save the metal parking garage across the street) would be perfect for a sidewalk cafe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building also can have a floor or two added to it without altering the current structure tremendously. Because of the current loading (boks... lots of books) the structure is beefier that it need to be for a more dynamic load.

Archived