Best Newspaper in SC?

Jerseyman4

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the ones I've read I guess I would have to say The State gets my vote, I've only had the privalege of reading a few papers, The Greenville News is good, Anderson Independant Mail isnt that great in my opinion. I've read the Post & Courier as well, and the Beaufort Gazette, but yeah The State in my opinion is the best.

The State usually wins awards for that sort of thing, I know its the largest circulating paper in the state of SC you can usually find it all over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The State is mostly in the Midlands and the Pee Dee. We don't see it much in the Upstate, and I doubt they see it much around Charleston.

Free Times in Columbia. The State is way too conservative, as are the News and Piedmont and the Post and Courier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. The State is staunchly anti-conservative. They are always bashing Sanford and I believe they endorsed Alex Sanders and Inez Tenenbaum. They did endorse Bush in 2000 and 2004, but I think that is because they knew the SC would go Bush regardless.

Here is a list of newspaper circulation around the state. The Morning News (Florence) wasn't on this list for some reason.

State------------------------------ Columbia ----- 117,595

Post and Courier----------------- Charleston----- 98,793

Greenville News ----------------- Greenville------ 91,714

Sun News------------------------- Myrtle Beach--- 60,931

Herald-Journal-------------------- Spartanburg--- 50,386

Anderson Independent-Mail----- Anderson ------ 43,248

Item------------------------------- Sumter----------21,990

Times and Democrat------------- Orangeburg---- 18,923

My local favorites are The Greenville Journal and GSABusiness Journal. Although both are called "Journals," they offer as much news and imortant business info as The Greenville News, IMO. Of course one is a weekly publication and the other merely bi-weekly, so naturally you'll find more to keep yourself occupied within The Greenville News. The little I've read The State left me with no greater feeling than reading The Greenville News. They seemed to be very similar in both style and coverage of imortant issues, though The State did have more on the statewide level.

The State is mostly in the Midlands and the Pee Dee. We don't see it much in the Upstate, and I doubt they see it much around Charleston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't speak for Charleston but I'm pretty sure I was able to get a copy of the state" at BILO off of Pleasantburg near University Center in Greenville when I lived there? I may be mistaken though?

I disagree. The State is staunchly anti-conservative. They are always bashing Sanford and I believe they endorsed Alex Sanders and Inez Tenenbaum. They did endorse Bush in 2000 and 2004, but I think that is because they knew the SC would go Bush regardless.

We may have to disagree. I hardly think Alex Sanders and Inez Tenenbaum qualify as liberal.

Can't speak for Charleston but I'm pretty sure I was able to get a copy of the state" at BILO off of Pleasantburg near University Center in Greenville when I lived there? I may be mistaken though?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Over the years, everytime im reading " The State " , im always in the Charleston area (mainly Mt. Pleasant). Nine out of ten times, im reading " The State " over the Post and Courier.

We may have to disagree. I hardly think Alex Sanders and Inez Tenenbaum qualify as liberal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I didn't say "liberal." ;)

They are Democrats though, and The State, at least as far as I have experienced, is generally in support of these candidates. Of course none of this matters when it comes to which paper is the best in South Carolina.

I didn't say it earlier but I think The State is the best in terms of statewide news coverage (not availability/circulation). The Post and Courier does a decent job. I never read the Sun on any regular basis.

The theme we wil probably see emerging is The Greenville News, The State, and The Post & Courier are the best, which stands to reason.

The Herald-Journal is a good paper I think, but its hardly perfect. They lack the statewide coverage that these other papers have. I mean, they have it, but its not at the same level.

Well, I didn't say "liberal." ;)

They are Democrats though, and The State, at least as far as I have experienced, is generally in support of these candidates. Of course none of this matters when it comes to which paper is the best in South Carolina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The State endorsed Sanford against Gov. Hodges in 2002, David Beasley against Hodges in 1998, and Bob Dole over President Clinton in 1996. I also believe they endorsed Bush-41 over Clinton in 1992.

While the State is very much opposed to Sanford's proposals on Education(ie Putting Parents in Charge), they are very supportive of his government restructuring proposals and other issues.

The State supports the middle-of-the-road to slightly right of center candidate most of the time.

They run about 50-50 between the two parties in endorsements.

The State is available in the Upstate, but not extensively. Greenville proper probably has a dozen-20 outlets for The State. The State seems to be more available in Charleston that the Upstate, from my experience.

The Sate is the best paper in SC, but they are really bad about trying to "CREATE" news rather than just report it.

The Charleston Post is better than the Greenville News, IMO, but not by too much

My local favorites are The Greenville Journal and GSABusiness Journal.  Although both are called "Journals," they offer as much news and imortant business info as The Greenville News, IMO.  Of course one is a weekly publication and the other merely bi-weekly, so naturally you'll find more to keep yourself occupied within The Greenville News.  The little I've read The State left me with no greater feeling than reading The Greenville News.  They seemed to be very similar in both style and coverage of imortant issues, though The State did have more on the statewide level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haven't read the Greenville News in years, so don't know how relevant this comment is, but I grew up reading the State and the now defunct Columbia Record (evening paper). When I went to college in Greenville and started reading the Greenville NEws on a semi-regular basis, I was struck by the shortness of their articles. My friends and I would joke that we'd always look for the (continued on page x....) at the bottom of an article and it was never there. It was like their layout artist was their editor - If there wasn't enough space for an article on a page, he would just chop the last three paragraphs off, so he wouldn't have to worry about carrying something over to another page.

I continue to read the State online and think they have a great website and do a very nice job on special sections and features. Have no familiarity with other papers in the state, other than memories of reading "Dondi" in the Florence Morning NEws comics, and seeing my trip to visit my grandmother written up in the Barnwell paper, where she lived.

Greenville used to have the Piedmont, then Greenvilel New bought it and got rid of it and it was the Greenville NEws Piedmont but then they dropped Piedmont from their name and became the Greenville NEws again. I wish they would bring the afternoon paper back.

Iv'e always seen "The State" as a middle of the road with a slight lean to the left post. There are certain things they hate such as "USC" for instance, but the are liberal enough to discuss issues out of everyday "lets not rock the boat clone journalism". Writers do give an opinion about were they stand on certain issues which is usually somewhere in the mid-left IMO.

Archived