Southeastern Festivals

microtuskegee

I'm lookin for festivals in the Southeast the are good for the entire family. Can Any one help me out? :D

Here are some Festivals that are in Alabama:

Jubilee City Fest- Montgomery May 27-29 2005

Auburn City Fest - Auburn April 30 2005

George Washington Carver Arts & Carfts Festival- Tuskegee Alabama May 7, 2005

National Peanut Festival - Dothan

Rattle Snake Rodeo- Opp & Andualsia

Bridge Crossin Jubilee- Selma

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charleston, South Carolina

May 27 - June 12

Spoleto Festival USA

Spoleto Festival USA produces its own operas, which are often rarely performed masterpieces by well-known composers, as well as traditional works presented in new ways. The festival also presents theater, dance, and music theater with a strong emphasis on music ranging from chamber and symphonic to choral. The festival conducts nationwide auditions for its resident ensemble, the Spoleto Festival Orchestra. Spoleto permanent fixtures include distinguished chamber music, new music and jazz series.

Spoleto Festival USA is the only American arts festival hosted by an entire city. The festival takes place throughout the heart of downtown Charleston, South Carolina, in its historic theaters and churches, in front of City Hall, on the early 19th century campus of the College of Charleston and in the gardens of the 18th century Middleton Place plantation.

Charleston, South Carolina

May 27 - June 12

Piccolo Spoleto Festival

Piccolo's mission is to provide access to the Spoleto Festival experience for everyone, regardless of their economic, social or physical circumstances and to provide the opportunity for excellent local and regional artists, writers and performances to be presented in Piccolo's "local venue." Piccolo Spoleto offers something wonderful for everyone - from classical to contemporary, from traditional to cutting edge. One of the unique aspects of Piccolo Spoleto is the accessibility to the Spoleto Festival experience. Half of Piccolo's events are admission-free, and the rest are offered at very modest ticket prices.

Piccolo Spoleto continues its dynamic series of free outdoor concerts and events including Sunset Serenade concert featuring the Charleston Symphony Orchestra behind the U.S. Custom House, the Children's Festival, Reggae Block Dance, Piccolo Spoleto Finale, Piccolo Sideshow and the Petite Performance Pavilion. New this year will be a Salsa on the Market Block Party and an outdoor film screening called Charleston Goes Hollywood. Piccolo's outdoor activities bring even greater excitement and magic to the city during Spoleto Festival USA. But most of all, audiences become captivated by the imagination, spirit and vitality that characterize Piccolo Spoleto.

The Barbarque Festival will be sometime this Oct. in Lexington,NC. Amtraks Piedmont and Carolinian will make a special stop there so if you want to take the train you can.

Athens usually has several multi day festivals during the spring and summer

the twilight criterium(big bike race. the big ones are through downtown and then there's other things throughout the weekend, as well as music)

human rights festival(dirty hippies dancing in the street. pretty small)

athfest (lots of music. usually two outdoor stages and plus just about every bar in town is involved and it goes over three or four days)

I didn't know that Columbia had enough residents in the area for a Gay Pride Parade. Atlanta has a big one. We have I believe the third largest gay population in the US.

I'm not gay myself, though.

By the way, Columbia seems to have a nice skyline from what I saw in your pictures.

Raleigh has Artsplosure! in mid May, the 20-22nd this year. It is a big street festival downtown. A lot of is also held in Moore Square, which is basically a big park in the middle of downtown. There are artists from all over the country, and carnival-type food. Its pretty fun, and you can find all kinds of neat art.

www.artsplosure.org

I didn't know that Columbia had enough residents in the area for a Gay Pride Parade. Atlanta has a big one. We have I believe the third largest gay population in the US.

I'm not gay myself, though.

By the way, Columbia seems to have a nice skyline from what I saw in your pictures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Columbia has a metro population of about 700,000.

Merlefest in Wilkesboro NC rules. Somebody else mentioned it.

But you can't do much better than the Plant City Strawberry Festival in the first week of March every year in Plant City, FL. It's very much a family-friendly event. The weekend before, there's usually a strawberry festival in Citrus County, not too far to the north.

The Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, Virginia, is also a great--and enormous--family festival. I know we don't have VA on this forum, but it's still a Southern state in my eyes.

There was some horrible little festival every year in Del Rio, Texas, but I can't exactly reccomend it. The carnival came to town about four times a year, too, if you'd like to risk your and your kids' necks on some poorly maintained carnival rides. Lots of fun; buy insurance first.

• 4 months later...

Too many to list for a whole year, but October in Tuscaloosa includes the annual week-long Native American Festival in Moundville (smallish event, geared largely to school groups, but public welcome) and the Kentuck Folk Arts Festival in Northport (considered one of the better festivals of its type, has been featured in Southern Living, Smithsonian Magazine, etc). There's also UA homecoming, which is always a pretty big deal, and the West Alabama State Fair.

Fall For Greenville is an awesome festival! Imagine Main Street packed with people from top to bottom, shoulder-to-shoulder, and every kind of food you can imagine along the way. Add several stages playing some of the best musicians anywhere, and you'll find yourself a part of an unforgettable regional masterpiece. Turner South makes it a point to film the festivities each year. Last year's event brought more than 300,000 people into downtown over the 3-day weekend. :)

Fall For Greenville.org

Some more in Tennessee, specificall West:

Soybean Festival - Martin (Weakley Co)

FallFest - Union City (Obion Co)

Lauderdale Co. Tomato Festival - Ripley

Depot Days Fall Festival - Dyersburg (Dyer Co)

Reelfoot Lake Arts and Crafts Festival - Tiptonville (Lake Co)

Doodle Soup Days - Bradford (Gibson Co)

Trenton Teapot Festival- Trenton (Gibson Co)

Brownsville Blues/Fall Festival - Brownsville (Haywood Co)

Rockabilly Festival - Jackson (Madison)

Shannon Street Blues and Heritage Festival - Jackson (Madison)

The Fish Fry (Paris) and Strawberry Festival (Humboldt) that were already listed are also in the Western Grand Divison of Tennessee outside of Memphis.

RIP

Banana Festival- Fulton, KY/ South Fulton, TN - A grand old festival rembering the towns' shared history as the Banana Capitol of the World and railway heritage. No more world's largest banana puddings! :(

Archived