The Downtown Tour of Homes

doormanpoet

I went to all of the properties and I must say I was absolutely blown away! The Worthan Lofts were the most esquisite of all of them. I was also amazed at the rental prices for some were actually more expensive than my house note! Although I would love to live downtown, living on the outskirts of Bellevue give me the best of both worlds. The prices to buy were resaonable to extravagant. The square footage was rather small for the price, but as more buildings are renovated, the more prices may stablize. I am looking forward to the Harrison Lofts of 9 and 16 stories to start. They are very close to downtown, not as far away from the central business district as I had imagined.

Now I can safely predict that The James Robertson Apartments may eventually be condos. The location is superb and the market is right for them to be converted. MDHA and Health and Human Services can find nice assisted living homes for these elderly and mentally ill people. The lazy ones who just don't want to work will be put on the street I guess until they start to work like the rest of us.

There was talk of lots more high rise buildings from the 10-30 story range since all these projects are selling out so fast. :D:w00t:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to hear the tour went well. I planned to go but didnt make it out.

Did you learn anything about the progress of the Stahlman man building? I believe I saw it on the list in the Tennessean.

I was also thinking about how expensive downtown living is right now and thinking it would gradually drop after more and more buildings are built and renovated. I was wanting to buy downtown but it dont look like theres much I can afford at this point.

Did you hear any other good info today?

Sure wish I could have made it; but the trip to my nephew's graduation in Chattanooga was non-negotiable.

I guess by the time the tour rolls around next year, we should see some pretty dramatic additions.

The paper said Tony Giarrantana just bought another parcel across from the Symphony Center...two more to go and he and Novare will own the entire block. This will be an interesting development to look forward to I'm sure.

Glad you had a good time dp, I look forward to what more you have to say about it.

Side note: Chattanooga still is coming along very nicely. They were opening that wonderful big piece of the riverfront ... very cool, I'm very jealous. I was tempted to make former Mayor Corker an offer to come to Nashville. He was the main speaker at the ceremonies. He seems to have so much interest in city redevelopment. His efforts are very evident. Chattanooga is such an interesting town. Even with no high rises built lately, the city just oozes with cool. It reminds me of a large Asheville...but with fewer monks and poets. lol

He got his Doctor of Physical Therapy from University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

The nieces and nephews are doing great. Makes the uncle proud. I've still got a nephew finishing his Ph.D. at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill this year, a niece doing an M.B.A. at Vandy before heading down to LSU for law school, a niece graduating next year at Austin Peay in Clarksville, a nephew at Middle Tennessee, both with graduate degrees on their minds. That's 5 or 5 for a bunch of good kids.

Me? I feel a bit "underachieved." lol

There was a mix of people looking to buy. Same sex couples, Hetero couples, People with kids, Retired couples, Singles, Asian, African American, White, Hispanic, Indian, Everyone! It shows the diversity of those wishing to live downtown. It breaks the suburban stereotype of black vs white neighborhoods etc...

It shows the diversity of those wishing to live downtown. It breaks the suburban stereotype of black vs white neighborhoods etc...

The suburban stereotype is just that - a stereotype. It was never black vs. white. It was poor vs. not poor.

Yeah, there are neighborhoods where all the faces are the same color. Really, most of Nashville is like that. But I think it's a result of economic inclusion/exclusion than anything else. And probably, that situation was enabled by prejudice.

Seems to me that non-whites aren't employed in decent paying jobs at a ratio equal or close to their population. (Just guessing here, as I have not checked the numbers). Any thoughts on Nashville's job market and local equal opportunity employment practices with regard to the demographics in these emerging neighborhoods?

Yeah, there are neighborhoods where all the faces are the same color.  Really, most of Nashville is like that.  But I think it's a result of economic inclusion/exclusion than anything else.  And probably, that situation was enabled by prejudice.

Seems to me that non-whites aren't employed in decent paying jobs at a ratio equal or close to their population.  (Just guessing here, as I have not checked the numbers).  Any thoughts on Nashville's job market and local equal opportunity employment practices with regard to the demographics in these emerging neighborhoods?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, more neighborhoods have a better mixture than many believe. i live in south nashville and there is a good mixture of whites, blacks, hispanics, middle eastern, asian etc. now i will agree that there are pockets of places where there are just one race, but i wouldn't say that most of nashville is like that.

Moving to Nashville from Knoxville is very instructive with regards to integration. Nashville may not be the 'poster-child' of integration but it is decades ahead of Knoxville. In Knoxville unless you actually drove to the East side your chances of encountering any Black neighborhoods or culture was miniscule.

I think Nashville is integrated very well. Sure there are some spots that are made up mostly of one race or ethnicity, but some of the best neighborhoods in other cities are the little Italy's and Chinatowns...sometimes i think people worry a little too much about creating a perfectly integrated society.

GaTech, that's a great point, actually. I rather enjoy the concentrated areas -- for the good points, of course. An example: I've been trying to learn Spanish. To get some real practice in, I head to Nolensville road. Yeah, I know it sounds goofy, but I can stroll from a taqueria to a grocery store, and sort-of experience a mini-emersion...and the food is good, too.

Archived