Which State is the Best?

Claws

Which State is the Best?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which State is the Best?

• Georgia
    • North Carolina
    • Tennessee

I just thought I'd see what the general opinion is on these three states and how they compare to each other. All of these states have at least 3 major pro sports teams, something I see as a sign of prosperity, so that's why I'm grouping them together. Obviously I'm going to pick Tennessee; I live there and enjoy the Memphis-Nashville-Knoxville/Chattanooga rivalry and the (in my opinion) awesome Nashville skyline. Also, what do you see in these states' futures?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are too many factors that this could be judged on to determine a "best". Each state has a diverse array of regions/geography and cities/towns.

Economically, Georgia & North Carolina will continue to parallel each other. Population projections also have them pretty much equal for years to come. Tennessee will close the gap, but will still be behind in this regard for the near future.

2003 Gross State Product

Georgia - 320 billion (10th nationally)

North Carolina - 314 billion (11th nationally)

Tennessee - 200 billion (18th nationally)

Well, since North Carolina provides my paycheck every two weeks, I definitely had to go with that state. :)

I also like the fact that its largest city doesn't totally dominate the state, and that the other two large areas, the Triad and the Triangle, are more regional in nature not so much single city-based (the Triad is a better example of this than the Triangle). Variety in topography is another good thing going for NC; not too many states have both mountains and beaches.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it has to do with Georgia per se, but I just think North Carolina is a better over all state. Of course no where in NC has rivals Atlanta or Savannah in their uniqueness - but nowhere in GA rivals Asheville or the emerging megalopolis & overall concentration of metro areas as NC has. Also I favor the mountains, education, music, arts & bbq of NC as well.

I guess you're right. A lot of forumers seem to be from NC, too.

So, it's not that they necessarily have anything against GA, is it?

Like you said, GA and NC have different options, and I guess it depends on who you are as to which type of environment you prefer.

If you want that big city feel, ATL is the place. If you prefer an emerging city that still has many opportunities at its doorstep, pick Charlotte.

If you like that Old South charm, pick the state with Savannah. If you want the feel of a mountain village/retreat, pick Asheville.

If you like good beaches, NC's Outer Banks is the place to go. If you like beaches that still have the feel of the early 1900's and before, pick St. Simon's or Jekyll Island.

And I could go on and on...

Let's face it, both states have that rare mix of a little bit of everything.

True ironchap - I also forgot to mention that NC's DOT is more pro-transit than Georgia's.

For me - when I think of Georgia, I think of two worlds, that of Atlanta & of the conservative rural state. Neither gets along very well - so by suggesting I like NC more than GA doesn't have anything to do with Atlanta neccessarily - but of the state in general. NC state at least supports their cities reasonablly well for a southern state. In Georgia, that isn't the case.

But I'm from SC so I grew up knowing a bit about NC & often admiring the state.

Too true about the transit. The GDOT needs to wisen up...wake up and smell the coffee on the transit thing.

I voted for GA because this is the only place I've ever lived. NC is my second favorite.

If only rural GA could get along with ATL and vice-versa.

I have found out on vacations that no other part of the country can even rival the south is beauty. All of these states a incredably different and similar. For example, Tennesse goes from the mighty mississippi(plains), to the rolling hills of middle tennesse, to the breathtaking somkey mountains.I know NC has this AND an ocean. Same with georgia. Even though the Appalachian( i think thats wrong) mountains are smaller i think there greenery make them the most beautiful mountains in the nation.

"Charlottiers"? And perhaps what you perceive as "too much city pride" is simply a significant number of Charlotteans (correct term) on this board who actually care about what goes on in their city. The city is well on its way to even greater things, and its residents deserve to be proud.

The city is well on its way to even greater things, and its residents deserve to be proud.

The same thing could be said for ATL. We have several people who care about ATL who post in the GA/ATL Forums.

Unfortunately, some of ATL's forumers are also known for "overboostering" thier city. We haven't had as big of a problem with it in the last few weeks though. I try not to be too big of a booster of ATL, though I do boost it every now and then.

I've been through Charlotte once and spent the night there. It's a nice city.

The same thing could be said for ATL. We have several people who care about ATL who post in the GA/ATL Forums.

Or any other Southern city....most of our cities are doing well, but I specifically spoke of Charlotte since that was the city Chris121091 spoke of. And I usually find that "overboosterism" is subjective. I think that when you have a significant amount of forumers present that are proud of what's going on in their city and make those developments known, it can very well be seen as "overhyping" or "overboosting" the city. I think I've found the vast majority of Charlotteans here level-headed about the city's progress as well as honest about the city's disadvantages/downfalls and what can be done to overcome them.

Exactly. Most of Carlottes forumers do seem to be more level-headed about their city. Atlanta has a lot more level-headed forumers than it used to, I believe.

Though it's not in our region, Detroit has quite a few forumers in UP who are proud of their city. Jax, Tallahassee, and Florida as a whole have quite a few forumers here who keep their forums active. Tenn and SC are the same way.

Very true. In the Columbia subforum, a thread was started entitled "Your thoughts on Columbia," and because we were envisioning what the city could become due to its enormous potential, we were accused of "playing Columbia up to be a big player that it really isn't." That's why I say that "overboosterism" is really subjective.

we were accused of "playing Columbia up to be a big player that it really isn't."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly, I think people do this out of insecurity. In the grand scheme, you should be happy with where you live. If someone is offended because others are proud of their city, that person has problems that go beyond this forum. I love Atlanta because it's home. But when people slam the city, I try to ignore it. If you're so insecure about where you live that you get upset when someone boosts their city or slams yours, it's time for you to step away from the computer and take a good long look at yourself. The competiveness is just so silly and juvenile.

• 1 month later...

Remember, though, NC isn't the only diverse state. Tennessee is known for its geography and the way it quickly changes. There's West Tennessee with its "coastal plain" (not very coastal, but that's what the books say, so Okie-Dokie then), the famous rolling hills of Middle Tennessee, and the Smokie mountains of the East. Each of those divisions have very different cultures, too, with all of them being led by one major city. I'm not saying its more diverse then NC, it's just not the only diverse state.

Archived