1. 1. Which State is the Best?

• Georgia
    • North Carolina
    • Tennessee

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not vote, but I noticed that people have noted that North Carolina has both beaches and mountains that separate it from Tennessee. The same could be said for Georgia. Both have Coastal Plains, Piedmont, and Mountains; but that was not given as a reason for Georgia. I'm not certain why Virginia or South Carolina were not included. Since Florida was not mentioned, I assume that this was for the number two retirement or relocation state. Both Virginia and South Carolina have the same breakdown in types of terrain. The question seems to come down to which cities you like the best, whose coastline is the nicest, and whether you like hardwood forests or pine forests. One thing that Tennessee has that the other two don't have is a lack of a State Income Tax. It does have an income tax on interest income.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too many people here seem to like GA.

Why?

I voted for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived in Georgia twenty two years. I like Georgia but it is far too expensive to live in the Atlanta-Athens corrider. Granted people in California or Florida think housing here is cheap but it is all subjective. I love the state as a whole and think it is very progressive but Atlanta is too liberal for me.

On the other hand the jobs are certainly plentiful here.

Ideally, I'd like to live near Crossville, TN or in the Cade's Cove area of TN or the Mt. Airy area of NC.

"Charlottiers"? And perhaps what you perceive as "too much city pride" is simply a significant number of Charlotteans (correct term) on this board who actually care about what goes on in their city. The city is well on its way to even greater things, and its residents deserve to be proud.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I've been to Charlotte a LOT and they seem to base their success on skyscrapers, particularly since BOA went up and they've gotten obnoxsious about it. I couldn't even go into a Shoney's to eat without a print of the skyline on several walls. I doubt that is really the way it is but they certainly put a lot of emphasis on buildings. I just hope Nashville doesn't get cocky about Signature Tower. :wacko:

Tennessee is something like 48th in taxation. So we are a low tax state despite the high sales tax, which is the main source of state revenue. Property tax is not that bad outside the cities nor are the wheel and car registration taxes that bad compared to our neighbors in most cases -but that depends on the county's rates. We just don't have alot of taxes, but on the other hand our main source of revenue, the sales tax, is very regressive and unreliable; and will eventually become non-sufficient in its ability to fund state government (ie higher rates=dimishing returns at a certian point). Its amazing we do as well as we do with such little taxation, which IMO shows we have pretty darn good governance; but sadly there are still folks who think we are taxed too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, thankfully I had a very conservative accounting professor in college. He taught our finance class and he showed mathematically and historically how you can lower taxes and yet raise revenues simulateneously.

So it really isn't all that amazing Tennessee does well.

Well, I've been to Charlotte a LOT and they seem to base their success on skyscrapers, particularly since BOA went up and they've gotten obnoxsious about it.  I couldn't even go into a Shoney's to eat without a print of the skyline on several walls.  I doubt that is really the way it is but they certainly put a lot of emphasis on buildings.  I just hope Nashville doesn't get cocky about Signature Tower.  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats wrong with being proud of BOA. I get it. If it were headquatered in ATL then it would be ok. BOA grew out of a small NC regional bank that has become a financial major player. However banking is not the only thing that Charlotte hangs its hat on. The QC is a major distribution and manufacturing hub for the region also. So the skyline is a representation of the success but it is just a small portion of what the Carolinas really means to the south.

Whats wrong with being proud of BOA. I get it. If it were headquatered in ATL then it would be ok. BOA grew out of a small NC regional bank that has become a financial major player. However banking is not the only thing that Charlotte hangs its hat on. The QC is a major distribution and manufacturing hub for the region also. So the skyline is a representation of the success but it is just a small portion of what the Carolinas really means to the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing wrong with being proud of it and it has nothing to do with Atlanta. To me Charlotte is a great city with a nice skyline and impressive stats. My point is that high-rises do not a city make and yet I've actually heard people in Charlottes go on and on and on about BOA as if that building alone legitimizes them as a major city. Look at Phoenix. It has what must be the most pitiful skyline for a city that size in the nation and yet is very prosperous.

Let's take it one step farther, do you think Charlotte would be just as successful in attracting new business without the Bank of America tower? What if just Hurst were missing? I really do wonder how many businesses and new residents consider skyscrapers in their relocation from one city to another.

In regard to NC as a whole, it and Tennessee are my favorite states but NC DOES have the beach :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the issue isn't with the justifiable pride a city feels in a homegrown company. It's more in defining a city's self-worth/value/quality from the size of buildings. I'm sure a shrink could have a field day with that stuff.

I'm more interested in street-level activity and overall uniqueness of atmosphere. Not to say that tall purty buildings don't have their place. They do. But it's limited.

When it comes to the subject at hand, I like Tennessee's diversity far more than Carolina's. From an ethnic, cultural, and geographic standpoint. Tennessee's wide diversity is in part responsible for it's infighting, but it's an impressive array to choose from. Flat plains to rolling hills and mountains. Even the vibrancy of the two major cities provide an illustration of diversity, from the laid-back soulful atmosphere of Memphis to the slightly more uptempo, gleaming of Nashville. The role that Tennesseeans have played in music, business, culture, and overal history of the nation. While I'm sure NC has its share to hold its own, I have to lean towards Tennessee. Memphis and Nashville provide an interestingly complementary one-two punch because of just how different they are.

I just wish Tennessee would do something to stem the siphoning of business, investment, and revenue that Mississippi has been able to generate. Not sure if the leg even cares about that. But that's an issue for another day.

NC has the beaches though. I love them beaches on the east coast. Va's is nice too.

• 2 months later...

Well, thankfully I had a very conservative accounting professor in college. He taught our finance class and he showed mathematically and historically how you can lower taxes and yet raise revenues simulateneously.

We can see how well it has worked for the Federal Government. They cut out the Money that they had sent to the States, lowered the Taxes for the Rich, and Ballooned the Federal Deficit. They through all the states into the Red for a while, as well. This, of course forced them to raise their taxes. Doesn't work in the Real World. Please write your check to the Federal Government for $27,000 for yourself and each other member of your household to pay your portion of the "Lower Taxes for the Rich Fund".

I also like the fact that its largest city doesn't totally dominate the state, and that the other two large areas, the Triad and the Triangle, are more regional in nature not so much single city-based (the Triad is a better example of this than the Triangle).

I disagree. I think the cities of the Triad are too far apart and the idea of a region is sort of lost. In the Triangle there's more continuity between places, probably because most of the "stuff" is closer together.

• 2 weeks later...

north carolina has the most going for it in almost all aspects, georgia just has atlanta (which doesnt cover up for the fact that NC has Charlotte, but it also has the mountains and the beaches)

Due to our nation being very car reliant, i believe NC is the leading southern state in providing adequate transportation statewide for simple travel between the mountains and the coast as well as connecting the small and large municipalities everywhere.

This is where NC has so much going for itself right now but lets hope its high taxed reputation does not choke economic progress in the future. North Carolina is the highest taxed state in the south.

Archived