Florida Center for the Arts and Education

retorsky

I was peering through an urban design magazine and ran across an advertisement for Duda Paine Architects and was exploring their webpage and ran across renderings and a description of the highly anticipated PAC.

The renderings can be accessed from there webpage http://www.dudapaine.com/home.html. Here is the description.

Clients: The University of Central Florida and CNL Corporate Properties, Inc.

The Florida Center for Arts and Education has at its very core the ambitious goal of establishing a new paradigm for developing the next generation of talented young people in the arts. The project represents a rare opportunity to mix world-class performing arts venues and educational facilities with class

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow

I LOVE it!

someone needs to rip these pics from flash, they are fantastic.

I like the curved surface on top of the structure, and all the glass looks great from the outside, and in the "atrium" as well.

OK, so it's not that architecturally daring centerpiece we were all hoping for. But this still looks solid without bordering on "bizzarre". Pleasing to the eye & very Florida. It kinda reminds me of a mini-version of Miami's planned transportation hub. Here's to hoping this one is a go! :alc:

WOW!!!! Thats going to be an incredible addition to that end of downtown. A unique design that fits seamlessly into the surrounding area. The city hall area will have a distinctly public character with city hall and this PAC sandwiching the existing plaza/courtyard at city hall. But the thing i love the most about this project is how it incorporates other elements such as the UCF campus and office buildings that will ensure it will be a constantly busy area and a bustling area during performances. WOW!!! :w00t: Thanks for digging it up retorsky and thanks for posting the pics Bic. :thumbsup:

Awesome find Retorsky!!!!! :w00t: WoW. I love the design too! Even though they are gonna tear down the Central fire Station for this, i love the design! I guess they will just build a modern fire station, actually two stations elsewhere to replace the one there built in 1960, 1 firehouse for the uptown area and 1 for the downtown area. I guess I'll get over it. This looks fitting for that block anyways. This is the best internet find in awhile. :thumbsup:

I'm also a huge fan of this complex, as it will do wonders for downtown in many different aspects and will move Orlando one more rung up the big league ladder. It is absolutely imperative that this is built.

Note that the slender tower oriented along the North-South axis is not a part of the highlighted site plan in the first rendering, however it is clearly linked to the other tower via elevated walkway. The commercial section of the Duda Paine Architects web site lists "Orlando Office Tower" as one of its projects but does not offer further information. Perhaps it is this mysterious building; maybe it's the building linked to CNL; or maybe it refers to an office building that has not yet been announced. Satellite imagery reveals that the land on which this would sit on is vacant (grass even).

Also note that constructing this performing arts center will require the razing of the cylindrical OUC building. Definitely not a work of art but somewhat of an icon.

The architectural design process is in its earliest stages right now. It is not outdated by any means. I doubt these renderings are even a couple weeks old. This is only one proposal btw. We should expect to see a handful of international architectural firms throw their proposals into this $270million+ project. We have every reason to get our hopes up.

The architectural design process is in its earliest stages right now. It is not outdated by any means. I doubt these renderings are even a couple weeks old. This is only one proposal btw. We should expect to see a handful of international architectural firms throw their proposals into this $270million+ project. We have every reason to get our hopes up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welllllll...

Unless you have some hardcore evidence to back up the fact that these renderings are brand new for the PAC under consideration now, I wouldn't be quite so sure.

I remember seeing the third rendering years ago during the initial push for a new PAC. While yes, the architectural design process is in the early stages for the latest evolution of PAC, it could be that these renderings are from the previous iteration (sort of how like Baker and Barrios architects keep designs on their site that haven't materialized).

Little anachronisms like the mention of CNL II being 305,000 square feet as opposed to the actual 291,000 sq. ft., in the wrong location, as well as omitting it and Premiere Trade Plaza from the site plan rendering cause me to raise suspicion. I hope I am wrong.

Archived