VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Since VCU has been on a construction blitzkrieg lately, I thought we could start a forum about everything going on there. For starters:

PROJECT: Brandt Hall

PROJECTED OPENING: Fall 2005

CONSTRUCTION BY: W.M. Jordan Company

LOCATION: 710 W. Franklin St at the corner of Laurel and West Franklin streets and the site of the former Rhoads Hall West Wing low-rise.

BUILDING FEATURES AND SERVICES: When completed, VCU

Richmond.com article on the new Brandt Residential tower. Hopefully, VCU will continue to build UP and not OUT.

On the Rise

VCU currently houses about 4,600 students on its Monroe Park campus

Matthew Philips/Richmond.com

Twin towers: Brandt Hall, left, rises alongside Rhoads Hall.

Matthew Philips Richmond.com

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

To look out across the landscape of Richmond these days is to see a city awash in construction. The skyline of high-rises and church steeples is now complemented by a seemingly equal amount of cranes and scaffolding.

As such, in the coming weeks and months, Richmond.com will embark on a series of profiles of many of Richmond's most notable construction projects. First up: Brandt Hall. The 17-story dorm is Virginia Commonwealth University's latest construction project in its endeavor to build out the Monroe Park campus.

Project: Brandt Hall

Cost: $28 million

Square feet: 160,000

Start date: April 2004

End date: August 2005

General Contractor: W.M. Jordan

Perhaps you've noticed it - the 17-story building which has rocketed up from the intersection of West Franklin and Laurel Streets during the last year, and now looms large over Monroe Park, standing side-by-side with the 18-story Rhoads Hall. Until now, the circa-1960s Rhoads was VCU's newest high-rise dorm. The school's oldest, the medieval inspired 12-story Johnson Hall, was built in 1915 and stands cattycorner from Rhoads up the street on West Franklin.

But now with Brandt, there's a new kid on the block. He's bigger, taller, though only slightly, and - depending on your architectural palette - prettier. Brandt's red-brick fa

• 3 weeks later...

If you guys want "up-beat", read today's RTD report of the VCU graduation address at a jam-packed Coliseum delivered by Richard T. "Dick" Robertson, President of Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution. (Obviously, I don't know how to cut and paste these things).

If you guys want "up-beat", read today's RTD report of the VCU graduation address at a jam-packed Coliseum delivered by Richard T. "Dick" Robertson, President of Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution.  (Obviously, I don't know how to cut and paste these things).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that article and it was great! Here's a link to the article:

Article

AND THE BIG BUCKS COME POURING IN.....

It was announced in today's RTD that William and Alice Goodwin have given $32.5Million for the School of Engineering to be built on the new VCU Monroe Park Campus Addition. Over the last 15 years, the Goodwins have donated almost $75Million to VCU, which includes today's announced gift.

This is on top of $10Million donated by Steven and Katherine Markel about three months ago to the new School of Business which will be connected to the Engineering school on the new campus.

Construction is expected to begin in the Fall, and completion will be 2007. :)

Edited by burt

VCU is getting some mega donations. I think its reputation will grow and improve. It also improves the urbanscapes around its campus. As long as VCU doesnt purchase the city and make it one massive campus, it's definitely an asset to downtown and the region. All of this money will only make it a better school! I wouldnt have minded if the Goodwin's gave me 1% of their donation :lol:

:rolleyes: I'm not qualifying VCU's land-takeover except to say there's more of it that I wouldn't mind seeing. The new campus will be a virtual rebirth in Monroe Ward. The west side of Belvidere, practically all of Grace from Jefferson Street to Ryland and bits and pieces of the south side of Broad could, IMO, benefit from more VCU TLC.

I wouldn't mind a little personal contribution from the big givers, either, Coupe (LOL)! But I'd rather they gave it to VAPAF.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the lead-in to a newspaper story can mask some real goodies! Take for instance today's report in the RTD by staff writer (the headline is not her fault) Dena Sloan titled "A Mixed Blessing". Who would have thought gold nuggets of development information would have been contained therein? But there it was; juicy items about VCU's new campus.

The 10.8 acre site bounded by Belvidere, Adams, Main and Canal streets already has bulldozers buzzing around. Most of the land is parking lots with a few low rise buildings here and there. Property owners have been paid market value and "all have willingly sold their land". Not to say there were no misgivings (thus, the "Mixed Blessing" tag). Some of the displaced businesses are relocating to Manchester.

The $204M expansion will include student housing, new Engineering and Business Schools and renovation of the old Central Belting Building on South Jefferson Street (between Cary and Canal) into a sparkling new home for VCU's World-famous Ad Center, and an 800 car parking garage somewhere on the property.

The garage, and the Bussiness and Engineering Schools should be completed in 2007, while the entire project will be on line in 4 years. :)

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

According to Eugene Trani, head honcho at VCU, the University had its best fiscal year fund-raising success ever ending June 30, 2005. A total of $82M was added to the coffers bringing the total to $282M of the $330M hoped for by 6/30/07. The Massey Cancer Research Center; the new Nursing School, and development in the new Monroe Addition campus are beneficiaries of this windfall. And if I may add my comment, the City of Richmond is equally rewarded.

Has anyone heard anything about this but my dads good friend from work is going to school at VCU and he told my dad that VCU is building a new school of business is this really happening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Joey, it certainly is going to happen. This forum is full of news about the new campus called VCU Monroe Campus Addition. It is bounded by Belvidere on the west, Main on the north, Adams on the east and the Downtown expressway on the south and will include new Engineering and Business Schools as well as student housing, a large parking deck and the VCU Ad Center. Go to earlier pages in this VCU thread and you'll learn everything you will want to know about it. :lol:

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...