VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

3 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

This is completely unrelated but while we're talking about that area, can the city take out that highway-like underpass section of Leigh by the Coliseum? It's unnecessary and dumb as hell and should be leveled with the rest of the street, it's like a pedestrian barrier, a canyon.

I believe that was part of the discussion with the potential new arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Another VCU Health behemoth is next to be built starting at the beginning of the new calendar year.  This is A LOT of money for just 6-8 stories.  Maybe it will grow by 2 floors before plans are finalized (come on...give us at least 10 stories).  Either way, I think it will be a great in-fill project and wow, more people might be working downtown because of this!..?

Check it out here:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/08/10/vcu-health-planning-348m-facility-downtown/

Oh, and don't forget that the 16-story ambulatory tower will be built soon too!  :)

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Another VCU Health behemoth is next to be built starting at the beginning of the new calendar year.  This is A LOT of money for just 6-8 stories.  Maybe it will grow by 2 floors before plans are finalized (come on...give us at least 10 stories).  Either way, I think it will be a great in-fill project and wow, more people might be working downtown because of this!..?

Check it out here:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/08/10/vcu-health-planning-348m-facility-downtown/

Oh, and don't forget that the 16-story ambulatory tower will be built soon too!  :)

Thank the VCU gods! That has to be the worst/shortest/ugliest building up in the MCV area, I'm so glad they're getting around to replacing it. I'm ok with 6-8 stories just because its replacing that squat short hut of a building.

Note on the price, it seems like a lot, I know, but keep in mind this is a medical building not an office or apartment, so a lot of money is going to go into certain areas for certifications with the department of health and the inspecting commission.

Edit: I really hate that building.

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Check it out here:

I believe this is the ambulatory care project, right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I believe this is the ambulatory care project, right?

Well, they're not calling it that.  They are calling it an "adult outpatient facility," which seems like a different facility to me, but the address at which the two facilities are to be built are the same.  I'm confused.  It's tough to keep the VCU projects straight.  If this is the Ambulatory Care "Tower," then where did I come up with a 16-story facility that VCU was to build in that area?  Am I making stuff up?!  Maybe I should stop posting on the VCU threads...they have so many projects in the works that I just can't keep it all straight. :blush:

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Well, they're not calling it that.  They are calling it an "adult outpatient facility," which seems like a different facility to me, but the address at which the two facilities are to be built are the same.  I'm confused.  It's tough to keep the VCU projects straight.  If this is the Ambulatory Care "Tower," then where did I come up with a 16-story facility that VCU was to built in that area?  Am I making stuff up?!  Maybe I should stop posting on the VCU threads...they have so many projects in the works that I just can't keep it all straight. :blush:

This is the Ambulatory Care building (synonymous with Outpatient Care).  Perhaps you crossed info with the 16-story Critical Care Tower they built recently (wow, and by recently I now mean about ten years)?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Icetera said:

This is the Ambulatory Care building (synonymous with Outpatient Care).  Perhaps you crossed info with the 16-story Critical Care Tower they built recently (wow, and by recently I now mean about ten years)?

So there...is...no...other...16-story...tower? :(  This is embarrassing. :blush:  Sorry everybody.

This looks to be the Adult Ambulatory building that my company is doing the MEP engineering from. You all got the 16 stories from me, and I'm pretty sure it is going to be that tall however they haven't officially announced it in our office so I'm not 100% sure. I'm kind of guessing that the 6-8 stories is coming from the VCU master plan, which I don't think accurately describes any new projects even if it was outlined in the plan.

I'll let you all know if I hear any more information about the project.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

This looks to be the Adult Ambulatory building that my company is doing the MEP engineering from. You all got the 16 stories from me, and I'm pretty sure it is going to be that tall however they haven't officially announced it in our office so I'm not 100% sure. I'm kind of guessing that the 6-8 stories is coming from the VCU master plan, which I don't think accurately describes any new projects even if it was outlined in the plan.

I'll let you all know if I hear any more information about the project.

Well, heck!  I thought I was going crazy there for a second and was seriously considering getting psychologically evaluated!  I knew I had heard 16 stories from somewhere (I usually don't miss things like that), but couldn't place my finger on it!  LOL!  Thanks for the clarification tparkerzut!  I just cancelled my psych appointment!  You SAVED me!

Also another thing to point out on this, the article states there will be structured parking for 1200 spaces. That would be way overkill for a 6-8 story building.

Or if it is only going to be a 6-8 story building with 1200 spaces for parking, then maybe they're finally trying to free up all the surface lots they have around Shockoe and on Mayo Island, which would free that land up for development (shockoe) and green space (mayo island).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, heck!  I thought I was going crazy there for a second and was seriously considering getting psychologically evaluated!  I knew I had heard 16 stories from somewhere (I usually don't miss things like that), but couldn't place my finger on it!  LOL!  Thanks for the clarification tparkerzut!  I just cancelled my psych appointment!  You SAVED me!

Maybe you saw it in a dream :D

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

Also another thing to point out on this, the article states there will be structured parking for 1200 spaces. That would be way overkill for a 6-8 story building.

Or if it is only going to be a 6-8 story building with 1200 spaces for parking, then maybe they're finally trying to free up all the surface lots they have around Shockoe and on Mayo Island, which would free that land up for development (shockoe) and green space (mayo island).

I wasn't aware VCU used parking lots on Mayo, that's interesting to know

12 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I wasn't aware VCU used parking lots on Mayo, that's interesting to know

Yeah that big lot on the east side of the island is for VCU/MCV employees and I think maybe the parking lot on the west side too, they run a shuttle back and forth for them. The James River Park plan is to turn mayo into green space/park land, but that can't happen until VCU gives up it's surface lot on the east side of the island and the recycling center on the west side of the island closes shop. VCU also has a surface lot just south of the Exxon at Broad and 18th street in Shockoe (not sure if they own it or just lease it), same deal there, they shuttle them back and forth to MCV.

So a silver lining here is if the building they propose isn't a tower like we're hoping for, maybe all that parking for it will help clear up this land for future development.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Yeah that big lot on the east side of the island is for VCU/MCV employees and I think maybe the parking lot on the west side too, they run a shuttle back and forth for them. The James River Park plan is to turn mayo into green space/park land, but that can't happen until VCU gives up it's surface lot on the east side of the island and the recycling center on the west side of the island closes shop. VCU also has a surface lot just south of the Exxon at Broad and 18th street in Shockoe (not sure if they own it or just lease it), same deal there, they shuttle them back and forth to MCV.

So a silver lining here is if the building they propose isn't a tower like we're hoping for, maybe all that parking for it will help clear up this land for future development.

That is correct, VCU does have lots on both sides.  There are also offices on the island.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Good to hear about this one.  Was there a schedule mentioned in the article recently or do you have any information on when this may begin?

Construction won't be starting for a while. Maybe demo within a year and construction starting by end of 2018, but that is pure speculation.

2 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Aslo, speaking of the VCU adult ambulatory building now being called the AOF (Adult Outpatient Facility) I have seen actual renderings and can absolutely confirm it is a 16 story building. It's quite large and it going to be very noticeable in the sky line especially driving down 95. Design is decent to me, it compliments the Children's Hospital. 

After looking at the plans more, it looks like the roof will be 346' tall which is about 30' taller than city hall.

Due to the higher sea level elevation of this part of Downtown, will it be be noticeable on northbound I-95?

Edited by Shakman

• 2 months later...

Neat article on ArchDaily on the ICA. With some very sexy pictures. As someone who is now in NoVA and has no clue how much the project has progressed, these pictures make me really giddy. They look every bit as good as the renderings.

https://www.archdaily.com/885680/institute-for-contemporary-art-at-vcu-steven-holl-architects

edit: actually I take that back, it looks value engineered.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1