wrldcoupe4

VCU Developments

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

What block is this in?

This will be at the corner of Leigh Street and N. 10th Street, so it will be in a fairly prominent place in the northeast skyline!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, Hike said:

found these on the dean's blog post - article linked below and images from it here.

https://blogs.vcu.edu/dentistrydean/2017/09/05/new-outpatient-clinic-approved/

HDR_VCU-1-300x180.jpg

HDR-Didactic-with-Garden-300x180.jpg

VCUHS_AOF_Schematic_Design_C_S_Plans.jpg

Guys, if my sources are correct, this is not the final design for the project. Another architect was chosen. Apparently this is supposed to be a 6 year project and around $900 million. 

• Confused 1

What?!  I think some of the guys on this board work for some of the companies working on this project and they are saying this design is the correct one.  So now I’m confused. Can someone clear this up?  $900M is a lot of money...for a much larger building!

Edited by eandslee

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What?!  I think some of the guys on this board work for some of the companies working on this project and they are saying this design is the correct one.  So now I’m confused. Can someone clear this up?  $900M is a lot of money...for a much larger building!

I was told that HKS was awarded this project. As far as budget,  I thought my source possibly meant $90 million, but checked with someone else too. It's supposed to be a huge project.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, evanf said:

I was told that HKS was awarded this project. As far as budget,  I thought my source possibly meant $90 million, but checked with someone else too. It's supposed to be a huge project.

Let us know what else you find out.  This sort of news could throw a wrench into all of what we “thought” we knew!  For now though, I’m sticking to what I’ve got.  We have a rendering from a very credible source saying this this the design and height.  We also have a timetable (May- Aug demolition and construction work to begin by the end of the year).  I’d love to see if you can uncover anything to the contrary.  I like what you’re saying, but I’m not sure there is enough right now to back it up.  Please continue keep us updated!

Thanks Coupe!

An excerpt regarding this project:

VCU Health System Adult Outpatient Facility

The new Adult Outpatient Facility will consolidate the majority of adult ambulatory services into an approximately 1 million square-foot facility on the downtown VCU Health Medical College of Virginia Campus. The project includes an integrated parking garage for approximately 1,200 vehicles. Located at the corner of East Leigh and North 10th Streets on the western side of the VCU Health MCV Campus, the facility will serve as a gateway building to the campus. The project is multi-phased and set to an aggressive 26-month construction schedule. The building program includes multi-disciplinary clinics, VCU Massey Cancer Center’s outpatient services and the VCU School of Dentistry clinics. 

“The 18-story ambulatory tower will not only allow patients to have all of these services integrated in the same location for easy navigation, but also change the Richmond skyline and the face of the city,” said Sandy Tkacz, AIA, ACHA, EDAC, health principal in HDR’s Richmond, Virginia, office.

https://www.hdrinc.com/news-and-events/news/2018/hdr-selected-partner-two-major-healthcare-projects-virginia

Edited by eandslee

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Let us know what else you find out.  This sort of news could throw a wrench into all of what we “thought” we knew!  For now though, I’m sticking to what I’ve got.  We have a rendering from a very credible source saying this this the design and height.  We also have a timetable (May- Aug demolition and construction work to begin by the end of the year).  I’d love to see if you can uncover anything to the contrary.  I like what you’re saying, but I’m not sure there is enough right now to back it up.  Please continue keep us updated!

It's possible this is a separate project, but it's also supposed to be on Leigh. Maybe it will be a collaboration between the firms. I feel like if this was the final design, we would have heard about it on bizsense or another news source in September when it came out.

• Like 1

Long time lurker, first time poster. My close friend is an architect at HKS. He told me that they did not win this particular building. He has sent me a rendering of their design and it’s definitely different.  It incorporates a lot of the MCV buildings around it. He has also told me that they are working on another massive VCU/MCV project. I believe he has called it a bed tower. I wish I could share the image but I am unsure if he would get in trouble for doing so. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, skinsfan said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. My close friend is an architect at HKS. He told me that they did not win this particular building. He has sent me a rendering of their design and it’s definitely different.  It incorporates a lot of the MCV buildings around it. He has also told me that they are working on another massive VCU/MCV project. I believe he has called it a bed tower. I wish I could share the image but I am unsure if he would get in trouble for doing so. 

Whoa!  This could be what Evanf was talking about!!  If you are afraid to post a rendering, would you at least know the timetable?  Oh, and welcome to the group!  Post freely and post often! ;)

HDR definitely won the Ambulatory Building he confirmed.  The bed tower won’t be constructed for some time he also said. But for those wondering ; their proposal  seems like its 18-19 floors as well. So no real loss in height with the HDR design. And I like the mostly glass structure that was chosen vs the hks. Just my opinion of course. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skinsfan said:

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Two towers yes please

And @skinsfan if you want to hit me up with those images in PM I'm certainly game i won't spill promise 

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Two towers yes please

And @skinsfan if you want to hit me up with those images in PM I'm certainly game i won't spill promise 

Same here!  Won’t say a word!!  The government trusts me with their most trusted secrets - you can count on me! 

Times-Dispatch reporting that VCU has filed an application with the Commission on Architectural Review to demolish the existing building (old restaurant) at 501 West Broad Street and possibly put up a 13-story tower

“The ultimate use for this property will be determined as part of the VCU master planning process now underway,” VCU spokesman Michael Porter said. “We are removing the building for safety and aesthetic reasons, which will allow the property to be possibly used as parking in the short term.”

:tw_confused:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Toni said:

Times-Dispatch reporting that VCU has filed an application with the Commission on Architectural Review to demolish the existing building (old restaurant) at 501 West Broad Street and possibly put up a 13-story tower

:tw_confused:

13 stories???  No, no, no, no!!!  That is all wrong...we have folks who say it will be 17-18 stories.  What the heck is going on??

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

13 stories???  No, no, no, no!!!  That is all wrong...we have folks who say it will be 17-18 stories.  What the heck is going on??

This is a completely different site. The address is right across Belvedere from the ICA so this is absolutely perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

This is a completely different site. The address is right across Belvedere from the ICA so this is absolutely perfect!

I just figured out my mistake. I totally thought this was the Adult outpatient facility.   Sorry for my panic, but this is a welcome addition.  We always knew VCU would build something there, but the rough drawing looks like a throw back from the 1960s... gross!  Short term parking?  Really?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The City Target logo on the schematic submitted to the city was interesting...

What?!  Care to elaborate?  Otherwise, I’m confused.