VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Thanks for posting these photos. I get a different perspective of this building than I get on the web cam.  Plus, it’s been so quiet on the board today...I was thirsty for some development news/status!  Thanks for breaking the silence!

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Awesome, thanks eandslee! 

Anybody know if they've started on the Engineering School expansion yet, at Cary and Belvidere?

Glad I could help!

They've broken ground and there is some equipment on site, but there are no cranes as of yet.  You can zoom into the last image using the link below and get a general sense of what's going on there:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/ACC/VCW

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

Just drive past the site 5 minutes ago.  They’ve dug the dirt out, it’s a big deep pit at the moment...so moving pretty fast. 

On a a related note, the new apartment building at Laurel and Cary is moving along very quickly.  Footings are dug, forms (well rebar) is going up.  

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6th street failed because the space wasn’t workable and there was an effort to keep out national retailers.  They wanted to keep it filled with local retailers.  Who wants that? No one.  That’s who. 

I drove up  from Gloucester to have my senior prom (1987) dinner there.  Some  seafood place.  

Thats probsbiy the only time that I ever spent any money there.  I moved here for VCU that fall and tried to give it my hard-earned work study money but they didn’t make it easy. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, eandslee said:

If you haven't been to the webcam today...there is a 2nd camera that is looking N/NE from a tall building (looks like from City Hall?) that gives a great vantage point of the work on this project.  Check it out!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eandslee said:

If you haven't been to the webcam today...there is a 2nd camera that is looking N/NE from a tall building (looks like from City Hall?) that gives a great vantage point of the work on this project.  Check it out!

Yep, that's coming from the observation deck at City Hall! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, eandslee said:

You beat to it.  I should have held off on that bathroom break.  

Before the the camera was sitting on someone desk.  Both angles are going to be great to watch.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Hike said:

my guess was the children's hospital since they own that?  The angle and height seem to be lower than city hall?

VCU_Health_Outpatient_Facility_#1-20180719-141642.jpg

This is the Children's Pavilion:  https://maps.vcu.edu/mcv/pavilion/index.html

This building will also be expanded in the future:  https://www.pediatrics.vcu.edu/media/dept-of-pediatrics/pdfs/FactSheet.pdf.  

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I can confirm that it is indeed city hall. Hopefully we will see a tower crane for this project soon!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shakman said:

This is the Children's Pavilion:  https://maps.vcu.edu/mcv/pavilion/index.html

This building will also be expanded in the future:  https://www.pediatrics.vcu.edu/media/dept-of-pediatrics/pdfs/FactSheet.pdf.  

Wow, I didn't realize that the Children's Pavilion was going to expand.  I assume that the expansion would be on the back side of the building?  Probably won't increase the height of the building...right?  Good info.

28 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wow, I didn't realize that the Children's Pavilion was going to expand.  I assume that the expansion would be on the back side of the building?  Probably won't increase the height of the building...right?  Good info.

By looking at the facade of the backside, most definitely it would expand here.

• Like 1

Yes however the structure completed Summer 2015 has been designed to allow for an expansion.  It says in the fact sheet. 

Does anyone know the permit number of the Adult Outpatient Tower?  RIC city page is such a pain to navigate.  I want to review the permit set of drawing so I can find the height of the new outpatient tower.

Edited by Shakman

I'm not sure how this would work in a Commonwealth.  Here in Maryland any agency would still be required to receive a building permit and a use-and-occupancy permit through the governing jurisdiction.

Edited by Shakman

1 hour ago, Hike said:

From the webcam for the outpatient facility you can also see the School of Allied Health and did a side by side comparison. These are different angles but the rendering looks a lot better than the actual building so far.  The trees that are along the sidewalk block some of the view, does it look lower and less glass, I guess the other side is the glass like the rendering?  There's also a lot of the tan color material  where it's not glass where the rendering has that material, at least how I interpreted, as metallic finish, it could be just the wrong side to compare.  

VCU_Allied Health.jpg

It's funny you make this comparison because I was just thinking the same thing this morning as I looked at the rendering versus what's actually there.  I also noticed that there are some major differences:  the crown is different on both and there seems to be more glass in the rendering.  Perhaps it is because of the different perspectives, but the crown is definitely different.  I like the one in the rendering better, but maybe I shouldn't pass judgement until the project is complete.  Would it be possible that they haven't installed the crown yet?  Not sure, but I think it funny that you were thinking the very same thing as I did this morning.  Like minds thinking alike? :)

6 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Seems like a lot of glass on the side that is the same as the rendering. There were no renderings I recall from the angle of the building from the angle of the cam. 

CDF65642-E3C4-4691-AB11-29BAF7D064FC.jpeg

Yeah, this perspective looks a whole lot different than the perspective of the web cam.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

The crown is the same.  There is just some artistic license at play in the drawing.  

The building  in reality is “heavier”.  It doesn’t feel as ephemeral as the drawing implies.  It’s darker in reality.  That’s about it. 

The building will look like the drawing a few evenings a year, at dusk when all of the lights are on and the setting sun is shining through the “crown”.   The crown is just some translucent glass that is the same size and in the same plane as the windows, it just doesn’t have the reflective sheen.   I imagine for the first few months it will be backlit at night (glowing whiteish).  Then the bulbs will one by one burn out or someone will forget to turn on the switch at night and only the setting sun will illuminate it. 

It is is a good-looking building though. Very clean lines, looks like a hospital in Florida. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2