VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

If it were not for Trani, VCU would be a mediocre little college instead of the fine liberal arts, engineering and medical university it is. He transformed the University and spurred development in the city.

I know, but you have to admit that I'd be also nice to have a football team (or maybe you're not into sports as much as I am).

I know, but you have to admit that I'd be also nice to have a football team (or maybe you're not into sports as much as I am).

To be honest, I can't get at all excited about the idea of a VCU football team. I just picture some historical peice of Richmond being bulldozed to put down a huge stadium, and that depresses the crap outta me. I think there's enough school spirit in the excelling basketball team anyway.

NOVA in Northern Virginia is actually bigger than VCU, but it's a community college.

There is plenty of places to build a football stadium near VCU (i.e. North Boulevard)

Speaking of VCU developments, it looks like work has either started or will soon start on Medical Science II. In addition, the School of Dentistry will have a 4-story addition on Leigh St. Work is expected to start this summer.

Edited by Shakman

There is plenty of places to build a football stadium near VCU (i.e. North Boulevard)

Speaking of VCU developments, it looks like work has either started or will soon start on Medical Science II. In addition, the School of Dentistry will be have a 4-story addition on Leigh St. Work is expected to start this summer.

Shak, thanks so much for your comments! You are a treasure trove of information! Thanks for keeping us updated and please continue as you find out more information about all downtown developments! :thumbsup:

As someone who attend VA Tech during the early days of the football team's rise to national prominence, I was not at all impressed by the resources in time, money, publicity, etc that shifted from academics (and other sports programs, for that matter) to football. VCU has already shortchanged its freshman/sophomore level fundamentals classes in many areas so that money & other resources can pay for more glamourous projects. I can only imagine that a football program would do even more damage.

As someone who attend VA Tech during the early days of the football team's rise to national prominence, I was not at all impressed by the resources in time, money, publicity, etc that shifted from academics (and other sports programs, for that matter) to football. VCU has already shortchanged its freshman/sophomore level fundamentals classes in many areas so that money & other resources can pay for more glamourous projects. I can only imagine that a football program would do even more damage.

I disagree. I think that having a football team could help VCU receive even more national exposure allowing it to attain more money (though indirectly) to provide better education and/or facilities for the students. Sure, there would be some focus on money going to a new team, but the same thing happens with the current basketball team and other sports teams the university currently has. If the freshmen/sophomores are suffering from lack of money due to glamourous projects, then the faults falls on the head of Trani, who leads the University. As long as money is allocated correctly and managed in a way that all benefit, then no one will be shortchanged in their education and should have no negative impacts just because a university has a football team. I think what you say is just an excuse. There are many universities in this country that do just fine with educating their students despite the fact that they have a football team. Take UVA for example, which is one of the top public institutions in the nation for education and still has a football team. Sure, UVA isn't just starting a new football team, but they also don't get much money from the state - most of the money they have for things like their sports programs (stadiums, arenas, etc.) come from donations of alumni and other businesses. I would even venture to say that because of their sports programs and national exposure because of those programs, they also receive donations for academics. VCU should do the same so that students aren't shortchanged their education. All I'm saying is that it can be done without the current students experiencing the same as what you experienced at VA Tech.

I disagree. I think that having a football team could help VCU receive even more national exposure allowing it to attain more money (though indirectly) to provide better education and/or facilities for the students. Sure, there would be some focus on money going to a new team, but the same thing happens with the current basketball team and other sports teams the university currently has. If the freshmen/sophomores are suffering from lack of money due to glamourous projects, then the faults falls on the head of Trani, who leads the University. As long as money is allocated correctly and managed in a way that all benefit, then no one will be shortchanged in their education and should have no negative impacts just because a university has a football team. I think what you say is just an excuse. There are many universities in this country that do just fine with educating their students despite the fact that they have a football team. Take UVA for example, which is one of the top public institutions in the nation for education and still has a football team. Sure, UVA isn't just starting a new football team, but they also don't get much money from the state - most of the money they have for things like their sports programs (stadiums, arenas, etc.) come from donations of alumni and other businesses. I would even venture to say that because of their sports programs and national exposure because of those programs, they also receive donations for academics. VCU should do the same so that students aren't shortchanged their education. All I'm saying is that it can be done without the current students experiencing the same as what you experienced at VA Tech.

This is what I'm talking about. Perfect timing for this article to come out in the RTD:

Can VCU wins translate off the court?

I don't think you can't deny that have a sucessful sports team can have a positive effect on the university as a whole. That's why I think that VCU should also pursue a football team.

I'm not sure whether this should be here or in the sports thread -- I think I'll put it both places.

VCU faces off with Duke Thursday, March 15th at 7:10PM. The game will be televised on CBS (Channel 6 in Richmond).

PS: Eric, I enjopyed Ray McAllister's column on possible effects from National exposure.

Edited by burt

Speaking of VCU developments, work has started on Medical Science II.

Is Med Science II the site of the old Nursing School on Broad near Monumental Church. References to Med Centers and Biotech by the numbers leave me in the dark. For instance, I haven't the remotest idea where Biotech 8 is located, and only recently learned that Biotech 5 is going up on 5th Street near I-95/64.

Is Med Science II the site of the old Nursing School on Broad near Monumental Church. References to Med Centers and Biotech by the numbers leave me in the dark. For instance, I haven't the remotest idea where Biotech 8 is located, and only recently learned that Biotech 5 is going up on 5th Street near I-95/64.

That is correct. Medical Science II is where the former Nursing School once stood.

I spoke to some workers yesterday who told me that the hole will be about 16 feet deep. Currently the hole is 6 to 10 feet. Depends where one stands.

The foundation will be cassons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...