VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Welcome, Calif.

Ole' Scottb is back in the news saying VCU is desecrating Oregon Hill -- again!

Well in this case, I'm more in scottb's corner. It amazes me that Oregon Hill is not on the National Register or protected in any way. It's not even an Old and Historic neighborhood although it should.

It was nice to see what he looks like though.

It's hard to figure out the number of floors in this building, but it appears to be as tall as the big brown box next door.

I rate it as "so-so" -- not ugly, but not a beauty, either. I like the glass on the top levels.

I wonder if all patients will be in private rooms? That seems to be the trend.

Edited by burt

The building isn't so bad at all. It took forever to get it rolling. It's nice to see a new building in the northern and eastern skylines of the city. I'd like to see the building next to whatever they have planned for the North Hospital, I believe.

I hope VCU stays the HECK away from those stables. Forget the fact they're not used for anything; Oregon Hill should be left completely alone by VCU, and it was supposed to be that way since the 90's. IF they get these stables, they're going to inch their way even further into Oregon Hill as time progresses. It's already depressing to see what has happened to that neighborhood as it's turned from a working class dwelling with cheap rent for those who need it, to a trendy enclave with ridiculously inflated rent for people who generally don't care about the community.

I hope VCU stays the HECK away from those stables. Forget the fact they're not used for anything; Oregon Hill should be left completely alone by VCU, and it was supposed to be that way since the 90's. IF they get these stables, they're going to inch their way even further into Oregon Hill as time progresses. It's already depressing to see what has happened to that neighborhood as it's turned from a working class dwelling with cheap rent for those who need it, to a trendy enclave with ridiculously inflated rent for people who generally don't care about the community.

Until very recently, those stables were used as ultra chic housing for an upwardly mobile resident. It would be sad to see them go, but if they're not on anybody's Historic list and are vacant, I think a sports facility has priority. It's a bit of a stretch, since the downtown expressway slashed thru the area, to claim that the south side of Cary Street is exclusively Oregon Hill territory when VCU has been occupying the lot in question for several years. I don't recall a great outcry when the new parking garage was built on the south side of Cary.

Several years ago, VCU and Oregon Hill resolved most of their conflicting differences and VCU expanded north to and beyond Broad Street rather than advancing into The Hill.

Until very recently, those stables were used as ultra chic housing for an upwardly mobile resident. It would be sad to see them go, but if they're not on anybody's Historic list and are vacant, I think a sports facility has priority. It's a bit of a stretch, since the downtown expressway slashed thru the area, to claim that the south side of Cary Street is exclusively Oregon Hill territory when VCU has been occupying the lot in question for several years. I don't recall a great outcry when the new parking garage was built on the south side of Cary.

Several years ago, VCU and Oregon Hill resolved most of their conflicting differences and VCU expanded north to and beyond Broad Street rather than advancing into The Hill.

I just can't agree that a sports facility should get priority. VCU has little respect for the structures, neighbors, old architecture, and even the neighbors in Richmond. VCU and Oregon Hill were SUPPOSED to have made peace in the 90's, but if this gets allowed, what's going to stop VCU from inching their way farther into the Hill and claiming that it's not technically Oregon Hill. VCU expanded into Oregon Hill back in the day because Trani decided that the community was just a bunch of worthless white trash.

VCU was so sly and deceptive about this plan too. They originally offered the Oregon Hill community an idea for how things could be expanded, and the community completely objected. VCU decided that rejection of the original plan was a thumbs-up for their Plan B of destorying the stables... without ever telling the community this back-up plan!

Maybe I'm just bitter because of all the crap from I've been dealing the past few weeks with Oregon Hill "student housing" property owners, but I'd much rather see VCU expand east or west than north or south. Actually, I'd rather seem them stop expanding and learn to actually account for the inflated student body that exists there already.

It was Trani who turned the corner with Oregon Hill and drove VCU's expansion in another direction. Your characterization of him is uncharitable, to say the least.

Discussions between VCU and Oregon Hill representatives were ongoing. According to news reports, the decision to demolish the carriage houses was preferable to closing a street for expansion of the sports complex and seemingly was accepted by both sides. Perhaps there were post-discussion reservations.

The University, a major driving force for Richmond's economy, IS moving east. It has vowed not to intrude further into Oregon Hill than its present land holdings.

The Hill residents successfuly fought high-rise construction in favor of Overlook. Neither expansion was desired, but, apparently, developers and residents compromised.

It was Trani who turned the corner with Oregon Hill and drove VCU's expansion in another direction. Your characterization of him is uncharitable, to say the least.

VCU only turned away from demolishing the adjacent portions of Oregon Hill and the Fan circa 1989 under sustained pressure from both communities. To some of us, the threatened demolition of the Oregon Hill carriage houses smacks of a potential unpleasant repeat performance.

Edited by creativeclass

I'm posting this Times Dispatch report again and highlighting a paragraph that I think is especially pertinent.

"...A seminal event in VCU's modern evolution was President Eugene P. Train's decision in 1990, when he WAS NEW TO THE POST, to scrap a master plan that envisioned VCU moving south into Oregon Hill, a historic working-class neighborhood that vehemently opposed the university's expansion ."

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...p;oasPN=%21news

My dig is still at this portion of that same article:

"VCU said it received an e-mail from the association in November 2006 saying Oregon Hill residents opposed closing Linden Street.

Subsequently, the university proceeded with Option 2.

Scott Burger, president of the Oregon Hill Neighborhood Association, said the university moved too fast.

"We thought there were other options. That's why we never made a blank choice between Option 1 and Option 2," he said.

John M. Bennett, VCU's senior vice president for finance and administration, said that once Oregon Hill residents signaled they didn't want Option 1, the university moved ahead."

It just sounds like VCU is more than willing to slyly attain their expansion agendas one way or another.

However much disdain you have for VCU, your assertion of Trani's thoughts about Oregon Hill residents was unfounded.

The former Ethyl Company (New Market?) and RMA with its Downtown Expressway have changed the Hill far more than any VCU proposals.

I apologize. I got Eugene Trani confused with Edmund Ackel, who I believe was the president before Trani that did most of the damage to Oregon Hill. However, my assertions about the former president's thoughts on Oregon Hill residents come from firsthand experiences of a former Oregon Hill resident that was involved in protecting the Oregon Hill neighborhood from VCU for decades. Ackel apparently would illegally close board meetings to the public to prevent any protest of VCU's descisions.

Regardless, I am still very displeased with VCU's destruction of the neighborhood. Many entire blocks of housing have been demolished for the construction of VCU structures like the tennis courts.

BP. I'm glad you've got the provosts correct. :)

What's done is done, though I don't agree that "entire blocks" of Oregon Hill have been demolished by VCU -- only one (old City Auditorium site with the stables) and portions of another (a new parking deck) that I'm aware of.

As I said, other entities are responsible for the big changes you see in the area today. Also, the ugly new apartments that are beginning to dot that stretch of Cary Street are private, not VCU development.

Since the Expressway, many people think of Oregon Hill as being between it and the river. And am I wrong? Aren't the tennis courts on the north side of Cary Street?

What's done is done, though I don't agree that "entire blocks" of Oregon Hill have been demolished by VCU -- only one (old City Auditorium site with the stables) and portions of another (a new parking deck) that I'm aware of.

As I said, other entities are responsible for the big changes you see in the area today. Also, the ugly new apartments that are beginning to dot that stretch of Cary Street are private, not VCU development.

Since the Expressway, many people think of Oregon Hill as being between it and the river. And am I wrong? Aren't the tennis courts on the north side of Cary Street?

:shok: I thought the City Auditorium was still standing!

Yep. Once again I'm mistaken. I was referring to the gymnasium, basketball courts, field, etc, that replaced blocks of housing. I certianly wouldn't say that Oregon Hill is south of the expressway. There is still quite a reasonable amount of Oregon Hill residence north of Cumberland St including a house I'm hoping to invest in. Heck, even the OHHIC's headquarters is located on Cary St.

It's revolting how much the property prices and taxes have inflated over the past decade... that, and the possibility of these former working class homes turning into trashy frat houses.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great article I read in Style yesterday that's fairly representative of how I feel about VCU encroaching upon Oregon Hill once again:

http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=14249

And a letters section:

http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=14267

Does anyone have pictures of this site? I would hate to see those stables demolished, though I am all for sensible developing up to the downtown expressway (though no more ugly vinyl cladding) as it makes a nice boundary line.

I'll have to nab some pictures of it tomorrow. At this point, I think that VCU should hold it's treaty with Oregon Hill and develop north of cary, or not at all.

Bah Humbug! They already own that property on which sits the old City Auditorium. The University willl provide the sports facilities to Hill dwellers at little or no cost as an appeasement offer. It's not like it were a non-negotiated mass invasion.

I'll have to nab some pictures of it tomorrow. At this point, I think that VCU should hold it's treaty with Oregon Hill and develop north of cary, or not at all.

I think the Downtown Expressway should be the boundary.

But Oregon Hill is on both sides of the expressway. There would be quite a war over that part of the neighborhood. I'd like to see VCU continue spreading east particularly along Broad and Grace.