VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Yawn. I understand your point very well. VCU's idea of "compromise" is to demolish West, with vague promises to try to build a nice replacement building for its world-class labs. That was the plan a decade ago and remains the plan today. I'm not bitter, I understand the legal arrangements that were made long ago to put this plan in motion, but what really interests me is how VCU views stiff inflexibility as a virtue, and demolition as compromise?

In reviewing some old posts on this thread, I realize I never got a response to this from NYCJSW (a.k.a. "Spin Doctor"). Ah well, in the end, he'll get what he wants. I think I'll be a lawyer in my next life. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Paul Williams is a hack. God forbid VCU pave over ... wait for it ... an existing paved parking lot. :rofl: Oh the humanity. Wait, what do you say, they're going to add new and improved lighting too? :shok: Blasphemy!

I seriously consider canceling my T-D subscription every time I read that guy's article.

Michael Paul Williams is a hack. God forbid VCU pave over ... wait for it ... an existing paved parking lot. :rofl: Oh the humanity. Wait, what do you say, they're going to add new and improved lighting too? :shok: Blasphemy!

I seriously consider canceling my T-D subscription every time I read that guy's article.

Perhaps they shouldn't have been paved in the first place. No reason not to correct a wrong. Plus, they are digging at Lumpkins now...Good timing. I don't agree with all of Williams' articles, but I do here.

Perhaps they shouldn't have been paved in the first place. No reason not to correct a wrong. Plus, they are digging at Lumpkins now...Good timing. I don't agree with all of Williams' articles, but I do here.

The difference in the New York example is that they were EXCAVATING. What exactly would "correct" the wrong that you perceive, converting the parking lot from its current use to a memorial grounds? If some group is interested in CONVERTING the parking lot to a memorial garden, they should purchase the land from VCU and do it. VCU shouldn't be deprived of the use of a parking lot that is already a parking lot just because they want to repair what is already there.

I do believe the parking lot is the site of the burial ground but I doubt it exists. That area has undergone extensive grading and the construction of the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike may have destroyed the rest. Remember there were burial places all over the city that no longer exist.

I have been at odds with just about everything that Michael Paul Williams has written with the exception of the last 2 stories he has written. For some strange reason, I agree with him on these last 2 articles. I am just glad to see that Michael Paul Williams is finally seeing that SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) is about history and heritage, not racism and hatred.

From what I researched last year of the burial grounds, the graves lie approximately 30-40 feet below the surface of the parking lot, just west of the old Shockoe Creek, which is the 40' sewer now. The 40' sewer runs along the east side of the parking lot property. I don't doubt that there are undisturbed remains, but they are going to be very, very deep. The city of Richmond recently did some sewer lateral connection work in this parking lot, at the intersection of Marshall and 16th, and I do not believe they found any remains, but the work was being done east of the sewer.

For any of you who do not believe this is hallowed ground, I invite you to go down there at night, walk the property while the area is still and feel for yourself. I am not a person who believes in UFO's or ghosts, but there is definately a feeling that one gets in this area. I would have to agree with the grassroots group, A.C.O.R.N. and SCV on this one.

VCU is utterly indifferent to the significance of the property. I'm not sure what would change that view, other than a massive sustained campaign to raise awareness. (Why is it necessary to educate an institute of higher learning on history and ethics?) As it is, the old cemetery is an important stop on Richmond's evolving Slave Trail, and would be a logical place to hold Juneteenth ceremonies. The fact that Wilder is more interested in his project in Fredericksburg does not help.

The first phase excavations of Lumpkin's Jail site in '06, which is across Broad Street from the old burial grounds, found pre-Civil War artifacts far below the surface. I am sure the burial remains are still there north of Broad, far below both the parking lot and I-95.

Edited by creativeclass

VCU is utterly indifferent to the significance of the property. I'm not sure what would change that view, other than a massive sustained campaign to raise awareness. (Why is it necessary to educate an institute of higher learning on history and ethics?) As it is, the old cemetery is an important stop on Richmond's evolving Slave Trail, and would be a logical place to hold Juneteenth ceremonies. The fact that Wilder is more interested in his project in Fredericksburg does not help.

The first phase excavations of Lumpkin's Jail site in '06, which is across Broad Street from the old burial grounds, found pre-Civil War artifacts far below the surface. I am sure the burial remains are still there north of Broad, far below both the parking lot and I-95.

VCU does the right thing, after a discussion with Delores McQuinn. Later, VCU and the Slave Trail Commission issued a joint statement. Read the article here:

VCU Delays Repaving of Parking Lot at Burial Site

Now let's hope they will listen to the public about the West Hospital.

Right, Cadeho. I think VCU is unaccustomed to its recent burst of negative publicity, to include its stubbornness about West Hospital and the news about its secret agreement with Philip Morris regarding tobacco research. Let's hope that VCU's decision to delay paving the parking lot leads to a productive dialogue about integration of the property into the Slave Trail.

By superimposing the historic location from old maps onto the current city grid, the exact location appears to lie partially (or even mostly) under 1-95, but a portion likely lies under the parking lot. More research is needed, but I'm optimistic that a compromise can be worked out.

This could be a brilliant power-play. VCU detects an uproar from history preservasionists on the West Hospital so they purchase a vacant lot that they know will draw controversy if they do anything to the site. They wait until an archeological dig across Broad Street begins, to place their signs alerting the parking public as to improvements coming to this site. So all the preservationists jump up and down and make a bunch of noise. So now, all VCU has to do is step back and sacrifice this site. When they make their move to delete West Hospital from the skyline, any opposition will be met with a protest that everything they try to do is met with opposition. Cary Street gym, old negro burial ground and now the West Hospital!! The concession on the burial ground will be the trade-off for the West Hospital replacement.

Maybe I am reading too much into this but that is the way I would play it if it were me.

These may be minor delays until the recent negativity quites down. The demo of the West Hospital is still aways, but IMO is likely. By the time the hospital's demise is near, I think VCU would have cleaned the tarnish off of there shoes.

quote name='D_C' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:15 AM' post='983761']

This could be a brilliant power-play. VCU detects an uproar from history preservasionists on the West Hospital so they purchase a vacant lot that they know will draw controversy if they do anything to the site. They wait until an archeological dig across Broad Street begins, to place their signs alerting the parking public as to improvements coming to this site. So all the preservationists jump up and down and make a bunch of noise. So now, all VCU has to do is step back and sacrifice this site. When they make their move to delete West Hospital from the skyline, any opposition will be met with a protest that everything they try to do is met with opposition. Cary Street gym, old negro burial ground and now the West Hospital!! The concession on the burial ground will be the trade-off for the West Hospital replacement.

Maybe I am reading too much into this but that is the way I would play it if it were me.

VCU has serious parking needs which must be addressed, but it's a shame VCU doesn't look at the academic potential of an archaeological site on property they own. I don't suppose VCU has a dept of Archeology, but perhaps it would be of interest to anthropologists or American history researchers. There could be a great deal of academic value underneath that pavement... then again, it may all be under I-95 and lost for the foreseeable future. Collaboration with top researchers from around the country on a dig could put VCU in a positive national spotlight and further build its growing reputation.

I thought VCU owned the lot anyway. They own several places in northern Shockoe Valley. I do think that if there was a way to connect that site with Lumpkins by creating a nice green memorial area while using the old railroad underpass to conncet the two sites would be nice along with a daylighted Shockoe Creek.

Burt, because money's been set aside for something doesn't mean it'll happen. I hope VCU wises up and sees what a treasure they have that they're willing to discard. I've been reviewing and trying to organize my pics over the past 4 years and there are many places where that pyramid roof caps off the skyline that I'd forgotten. Unless they build a new place with the same roof, they'll be hurting many views that are enhamced by it.

I thought VCU owned the lot anyway. They own several places in northern Shockoe Valley. I do think that if there was a way to connect that site with Lumpkins by creating a nice green memorial area while using the old railroad underpass to conncet the two sites would be nice along with a daylighted Shockoe Creek.

That is the vision for the northernmost part of the Slave Trail. I don't think VCU had any grand scheme in mind with the property, other than providing some surface parking for its workers. Like most, they assumed that the cemetery had been forgotten. If it chooses, VCU can reap some positive publicity from this, but not in the cynical way that D_C has described. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

What they're using has to be the most bizarre tower crane I've seen yet..it looks like a utility pole with a beak. How tall will the building be?

I have seen these cranes used before on wood frame multi-unit residential structures. The jib of the crane actually folds up against the mast. For the size of the project, it was most likely cost effective to use this type of crane as compared to a tower crane.

I just finished looking at Ryan Ramsey's photo gallery for June at RCW. Excellent, as always.

There is one shot of the new VCU Medical Science Building II. Really quite nice other than a hideous blue siding on the west wall. Please say that is not permanent!!! Didn't they spend millions a few years ago to rid the research building a few blocks west on Broad of that terrible blue hue?