VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

An example of architect Steven Holl's work is pictured at the top of this story about VCU's planned Institute for Contemporary Art at southwest corner of Broad and Belvidere Streets. The building pictured is Simmons Hall at MIT in Cambridge, Mass.

The VCU project is projected to open in 2014.

From the June 1st RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/n...s_Weekly_Digest

Edited by burt

An example of architect Steven Holl's work is pictured at the top of this story about VCU's planned Art Institute at southwest corner of Broad and Belvidere Streets. The building pictured is Simmons Hall at MIT in Cambridge, Mass.

The VCU project is projected to open in 2014.

From the June 1st RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/n...s_Weekly_Digest

I am not a fan of ultra-modern contemporary architecture so I am not all that enthusiastic about the choice. So far, the only work I somewhat like by Steven Holl is this one in Beirut but I still look foward to seeing what he produces.

http://www.stevenholl.com/project-detail.php?type=mixeduse&id=34&page=0

Icetera, thanks for posting the link to Steven Holl's website. Architecture is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Mr. Holl's work will never be universally admired, however, his projects are world renowned. I think he can transform the intersection of Belvidere and Broad and, simultaneously, energize Richmond. It will be interesting and exciting to see it unfold. Hopefully, he will deliver the icon the city has been waiting for and deserves.

VCU keeps on building dorms, parking garages and classrooms.

There should be almost 6,000 beds on the Monroe Park campus by 2014 as well as an expanded Cabell Library and the new Institute of Contemporary Art.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...0-s-ar-1087217/

A 459-bed residence hall on Grace Street will open by fall 2012. Another residence hall planned for across the street will add an additional 400 beds. VCU plans to add nearly 1,000 beds in three new residence halls during the next six years.

Has anyone seen any info on the 400 bed residence hall on the North side of Grace, as mentioned in the above article? This is the first I recall hearing of it.

I am incredibly disappointed in the decision to tear down Common Groundz. My friends and I have an incredible personal history with that space. I hope that somehow, with all the other construction going on, it is able to be spared- at least for a while. Now I know how native Richmonders have felt about seemingly endless VCU expansion..

Edited by Transit

• 2 weeks later...

As you may know, VCU issues a periodic update on VCU developments and issues. This is usually sent through the institutional email service, but can also be viewed from the Office of the President's website.

The latest update was sent a few days ago and includes information about the construction projects around the university.

Here are views of the proposed Laurel Street deck.

Notice there are first floor retail stalls. It was previously announced that IHOP would be occupying one of the retail spaces; hopefully that has not changed.

11hck8w.jpg

This is the new student housing on West Grace Street:

e6ai4j.jpg

As you can see from the pics, the two new structures sandwich the much smaller Sahara restaurant. My guess is that the new pedestrian activity from the increased parking and housing will benefit their business. But it also looks like the university is quite literally trying to squeeze it out there. I'm sure they would want nothing more to snatch up that parcel to develop.

I think these renderings of a garage and a dorm on the south side of West Grace between Laurel and Shaffer Streets look pretty neat. They are presently under construction and a 400-bed dorm is planned on the north side of Grace (where the cars are parked in the rendering.)

In the top rendering, a water feature on the expanse across Laurel Street from he parking deck would be a nice addition, IMO.

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...

The two parking garages that book-end Henry Street on Grace are completed and if they are not already open, they will be by the beginning of fall semester next week.  The two garages will have parking passes available for students that live on-campus.  

The Laurel/Grace Street deck will be primarily for VCU faculty/staff and will be opening fall semester.  The restaurant spaces will be opening further into fall semester as build-out is still underway.

West Grace South, the new residence hall going up on Grace will be completed a year from now and will be available to VCU sophomores in particular.  Look out across the street from it where the parking lot is (behind RAMZ Hall). The ball is rolling quickly on a mirror image of West Grace South, dubbed "West Grace North," that will be completed by fall 2013. Clearing of the parking lot should begin late winter to mid-spring.

The two buildings that once stood at Floyd and Linden Streets have been demolished to make way for the new VCU Academic Building that will house several lecture halls, classrooms, and the School of Social Work.

Good to see the surface lot being developed.

Hopefully some element of street level retail will be incorporated. The number of students along that corridor should make it an attractive location for retailers.

I wonder how these new dorms will effect the surrounding neighborhoods.With the addition of about 850 new beds between the two new dorms on Grace (not to mention the 400 new beds that opened a few years ago at Cary and Belvidere and the new beds created from the Broad and Belvidere expansion), as well as nearby private developments (540 units at 8 1/2 Canal, new building beside Belvidere 7 Eleven, new developments downtown), It would seem as if the rate of developments marketed towards VCU students is outpacing the increases in enrollment.

I wonder if there will be a mass exodus from the Fan, Oregon Hill and the Museum District as students move to these new developments closer to campus.

Man, money is pouring into this school right now. How about some more class sections or more competent/engaged instructors? Hm?

I do like the development that has street level retail and I think the new general academic building (Floyd & Linden/Harrison) will be an important addition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few quick updates:

• The garage at the corner of Laurel and Grace is completed. The ground-floor retail portion (including IHOP, Raising Cane's, and another eatery) is fully operational.
  • The new dorm on the south side of West Grace St at Shafer has topped out. It appears they are now beginning the cladding of the exterior in brick/masonry.
  • The building that stood at the corner of Gilmer and Broad Street has been completely demolished and the plot is cleared. VCU plans to extend the "Broad and Belvidere" into that space.

A few quick updates:

• The garage at the corner of Laurel and Grace is completed. The ground-floor retail portion (including IHOP, Raising Cane's, and another eatery) is fully operational.
  • The new dorm on the south side of West Grace St at Shafer has topped out. It appears they are now beginning the cladding of the exterior in brick/masonry.
  • The building that stood at the corner of Gilmer and Broad Street has been completely demolished and the plot is cleared. VCU plans to extend the "Broad and Belvidere" into that space.

Is there any progress at Floyd and Linden on the new academic building?

VCU School of Business Part-Time MBA is Nationally Ranked

Bloomberg Businessweek has ranked the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Business part-time MBA program No. 51 in the United States.

This is the first time that VCU has been included in the national ranking, which is based on separate measures of student satisfaction, academic quality and post-MBA outcomes.

VCU ranked 7th in the nation for average salary increase, valued at a sterling 41.6 percent. In addition, VCU ranked 12th for post-MBA outcomes...

Full press release can be found here: http://www.news.vcu.edu/news/VCU_School_of_Business_PartTime_MBA_is_Nationally_Ranked