VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

VCU Brandcenter first year students won a top prize in New York City today in an international business competition. They were up against some top schools.

They will be ringing the closing bell in about a half hour at the New York Stock Exchange. :good:

Froim breaking news at the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ize-ar-1644776/

This is great news.

What's also impressive is that of the top 15 teams that made it to the semifinals, 3 of them were from VCU's Brandcenter.

• 2 weeks later...

Construction will begin in April on the resident housing for 388 students on the north side of Grace east of Shaffer Street. The ground level will reserve 6,000 s/f for an undergraduate curriculum in global education.

The building, expected to open in 2013, will not mirror the 459 bed hall across Grace Street which will receive students next fall.

:offtopic: Will the old Biograph Theatre building on Grace near the corner of Laurel be demolished for the new residence hall? It was Richmond's only art film theatre when it opened 40 years ago and subsequently became a night club. I'm told it is now vacant.

http://www2.timesdis...all-ar-1677840/

Edited by burt

Construction will begin in April on the resident housing for 388 students on the north side of Grace east of Shaffer Street. The ground level will reserve 6,000 s/f for an undergraduate curriculum in global education.

The building, expected to open in 2013, will not mirror the 459 bed hall across Grace Street which will receive students next fall.

:offtopic: Will the old Biograph Theatre building on Grace near the corner of Laurel be demolished for the new residence hall? It was Richmond's only art film theatre when it opened 40 years ago and subsequently became a night club. I'm told it is now vacant.

http://www2.timesdis...all-ar-1677840/

It looks like the Biograph Theatre building will be spared according to these renderings from the Niles Bolton Associates' website:

3_5.jpg

2_5.jpg

1_6.jpg

The former Biograph is extreme right next door to the new dorm in the third rendering. Thanks for posting these pix, TBurban.

A gentleman whose last name is Rea managed the art film theatre from its inception in the early 70's before and after it was chopped into a dual-plex cinema.

Rea has been making noises recently about establishing a store-front movie house downtown specializing in revivals and art films. If the building is now vacant, the newly gentrified location should be the perfect spot for a new cinema, IMO. :good:

PS: That's Ramm's Hall facing West Broad Street directly behind the new Grace Street dorm in the 3rd rendering.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tower crane for the new School of Medicine was dismantled this past Sunday. The School of Medicine looks really nice.

Well, we'll just have to come up with a new high-rise project to put that tower crane back to work! The riverfront comes to mind....

Well, we'll just have to come up with a new high-rise project to put that tower crane back to work! The riverfront comes to mind....

Canal Station, anyone? :rolleyes: That tower is quite neat looking, and would be the high rise anchor to the east portion of the Canal Walk.... Vistas OTJ would stand tall and proud right beside it. Riverside on The James has two towers actually, residential has the shorter building, commercial offices are in the taller one, and of course, that glass, modern high rise imagined by WVS and Fountainhead that would be "15-20 stories tall and 350,000 square feet...."

Sigh.... I want something 30 stories MINIMUM. Remember when James Monroe was the tallest in the state.... VB took it with their Westin. (Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in that hotel, and LOVED IT) But we can top 500 ft! If at all, we can top at LEAST 500 ft! I still think Cap. One should put all aside and make it a priority to build a custom anchored high-rise tower in downtown RVA.... dreams, dreams dreams.... :yawn:

EDIT: Okay, I just realized this is the VCU thread.... :blush: count that as my first off-topic offense :rolleyes::offtopic:

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, it's not much, but the thousands of VCU students begging VCU Libraries for longer hours at the beloved Cabell are getting their wish. This weekend, the Cabell Library initiated what will be a 24/5 schedule. It will be open nonstop 24 hours on 5 days of the week. I will enjoy all the midnight stops for reading books. Now we just need to expand those 5 days to 7 :rolleyes:

I wonder if it includes the wildly popular Starbucks inside the library.... after all it is Aramark's most successful location :dontknow:

Here's more on the new hours from VCU's website: http://www.news.vcu....ive_Days_a_Week

EDIT: Nevermind about Starbucks, the hours WILL be extended to 2am on those days that it is open 24 hours (if it already isn't)

http://www.library.vcu.edu/hours/jbc/jbc_spring.html

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 3 weeks later...

This may have been posted already but I found this on archdaily.com

1334884670-image001.jpg

The unveiling of the design of the new VCU Institute for Contemporary Art will take place next week (April 26). Unforunately it will take place in NYC so most of us won't be able to attend most likely.

Nonetheless, I can't wait to see the design.

This may have been posted already but I found this on archdaily.com

1334884670-image001.jpg

The unveiling of the design of the new VCU Institute for Contemporary Art will take place next week (April 26). Unforunately it will take place in NYC so most of us won't be able to attend most likely.

Nonetheless, I can't wait to see the design.

Oh boy!!! :yahoo: This is just what the doctor ordered.

Richmond Magazine's 2012 Sourcebook's cover is a giant question mark shaped building at the Broad and Belvidere intersection. It is to show that we don't know what the design looks like. Of course now we will, though! Quite awful timing, huh burt? At least you'll be down here in RVA with everyone as we see the new design. I hope it is REALLY modern.

540 and RVA. I'm not leaving for Richmond until May 4th. I called the Steven Holl office and was told the unveiling of VCU's Institute for Contemporary Art is open to the public. Trouble is, April 26th is the day I get out of hospital after an overnight procedure. If my doctor says it's OK, I'll definitely be at Meulensteel Gallery on 22nd Street (it's way over near the Hudson River piers) between 6 and 8PM on the 26th.

I'm very excited that the project may soon get underway.

While we wait for the unveiling of Steven Holl's architectural plan, here's is more information on VCU's Institute for Contemporary Art.

An opening in 2014 is anticipated.

http://arts.vcu.edu/...ntemporary-art/

To further what Burt posted this morning. Here is a in depth article with renderings from the Times-Dispatch.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/apr/24/vcu-unveils-design-32-million-art-institute-ar-1866127/

Gallery

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/list/gallery-vcu-unveils-design-new-art-institute/gallery/

Thanks Cal, for posting this story we've all been anticipating.

"Audacious ambitions" according to Joseph Seipel, dean of VCU's School of the Arts.

Architect Steven Holl says the zinc exterior will "have a pre-weathered patina that was selected to complement and contrast with surrounding brick structures. It also will have clear and translucent glasswalls to add transparency and bring in natural light."

This is, indeed, an audacious step toward enhancing Richmond's prominence in the arts.

I like the view from Pine Street too.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...titute/gallery/

PS: My doctor says, barring complications, I can go to the official New York unveiling tomorrow night at The Meulensteen Gallery on 22nd Street just west of 10th Avenue in Chelsea.