VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed that we'll be losing the West Hospital on MCV campus.

I understand that the building needs renovation and MCV needs more space, but really there has to be an alternative.

We should learn from other cities that have torn down beautiful, historic, (even monumental) buildings that it almost always leads to regret. Maybe they can turn that building into student housing for medical/health professional students. Or even expanded lodging for visitors (patients' families). It would really be a shame to lose that building.

I imagine if it were in any other location it would be fit for luxury housing.

Times like these I wish I were a billionaire. :(

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed that we'll be losing the West Hospital on MCV campus.

I understand that the building needs renovation and MCV needs more space, but really there has to be an alternative.

We should learn from other cities that have torn down beautiful, historic, (even monumental) buildings that it almost always leads to regret. Maybe they can turn that building into student housing for medical/health professional students. Or even expanded lodging for visitors (patients' families). It would really be a shame to lose that building.

I imagine if it were in any other location it would be fit for luxury housing.

Times like these I wish I were a billionaire. :(

VCU needs more space, it is just naturally a fast-growing place. West Hospital doesn't meet the standards that they need and deem sufficient, I guess....

And besides, we've preserved so many historic buildings. So many meaning hundreds of thousands of little buildings. I don't think losing one (even if it is tall and nice) will be a proven loss....

VCU needs more space, it is just naturally a fast-growing place. West Hospital doesn't meet the standards that they need and deem sufficient, I guess....

And besides, we've preserved so many historic buildings. So many meaning hundreds of thousands of little buildings. I don't think losing one (even if it is tall and nice) will be a proven loss....

I would have to disagree with you on this one RVA. The West Hospital is an iconic structure, an art deco gem that is truly a landmark on the Richmond skyline.  VCU is growing at a fast pace and is making some exciting plans but replacing the West hospital with the flat topped, uninspired building in the rendering would be a mistake.  You are right that Richmond has preserved many historic buildings.  That doesn't mean this building should be sacrificed. VCU has been creative in some of its plans, i.e. the parking deck on the other side of I-95.  Lets hope they rethink this.

The loss of the West Hospital would be unforgivable. It commanded the skyline for decades and I remember the lights that used to spin at the top as a little boy. It is a unique structure in our skyline and from the 14th Street and Mayo Bridge vantage point, it caps the top of the hill.  We wanted an iconic building for the triangle lot at 9th and Canal and we're losing that prospect. Now we're losing an existing one that peaks a gateway into downtown only to be replaced with another one of VCU's ho-hum buildings which most likely would be a scare and offer nothing new to the skyline. At these times, VCU needs to be a little more innovative and find a suitable use for the building. It does not have to function as a hospital.

Losing any historic structure for any reason other than beyond repair is never ok under any circumstance. The West Hospital is not beyond repair and VCU has a lot of areas that they own where they can expand. This building does not need to belong to the them or the hospital. I swear if I were to ever come into money, I'm buying it from them.

Anything older than 50 years old is eligible for HISTORIC preservation. The West Hospital is one of two Art Deco skyscrapers. Its style itself would be one of the criteria for preservation. Washington didn't have to sleep there, Lincoln didn't have to walk to it, nor did Poe have to write one of his poems on the spot for it to be historic.

Richmond has and continues to destroy carelessly much of its history and cherrypick is examples of what is historic which typically do not show or tell the whole story, ignoring architecture and stories that will forever be lost. Take The Fan for example. A lot of good preservation was done but it's only 100-120 years old. Richmond is much older and we have fewer and fewer examples and fabric left to show Richmond's architectural evolution. We've lost the ENTIRE original Oregon Hill. We've lost Fulton and Rocketts. We've lost Navy Hill. We've lost French Garden Hill. We've lost Council Chamber Hill. We've lost most of the original Jackson Ward (DuVal's Addition). We've lost Harvie/Syndey/Randolph. We've lost Buchanan. We've lost Bowling Green. We've lost most of Woodville. We've lost too many examples of Federal, Greek Revival, Second Empire and other styles of architecture representing the bulk of the 1800s We've lost Pratt's Castle and other oddities. We've lost our colonial context completely... don't even acknowledge it or replicate any of it. We've lost most of the examples of small, working class homes from the 1800s and early 1900s. We've lost many grand churches such as First Presbyterian and Broad Street Methodist with their mighty spires. We've lost the Kanawha Canal! This is why Richmonders are so ignorant of what gold they trod. People keep pushing the next idiotic thing in the name of progress which actually degrades us as we lose our historic soul. Remember we demolished the Murphy... for what? We demolished the GC Murphy block for a parking lot. We demolished half a block for some building that may never be built on Main St, forever leaving an ugly hole in the streetscape. Would you rather we never kept the pavers on Monument? Would you rather we have demolished First Baptist Church and Old City Hall?  I am sure the Valentine Museum stands in the way of VCU as well, maybe they should push them out like they almost did the White House of the Confederacy. We like to boast about how much we are a historic city, but we'd rather pave over most of it.  We do not want to be souless Charlottle.  Sure, we have books showing what SOME of these places looked like, but a picture would never take the place of the actual building. You can't experience it. You can't notice the details of the interior or sides not shown.

I would love to see what my neighborhood looked like prior to the time I came along, but all I have are pictures, stories, maps, and aerial pictures from the 50s that show what a nice community it was. Is not better than then? More than half the original neighborhood destroyed by public housing, vacant fields where houses used to be, abandoned houses, more rental property than owned, and absolutely no pride. This was supposed to be progress. This was supposed to better the neighbhorhood. This same story has played out too often in the older sections of the city. What is our story? What's left to paint a complete picture? It's not like all of the areas were documented. Instead now we have places west of the Belt Line old enough for historic designation that will tell the incomplete story, maybe even take its place. Our history must be respected and preserved as best as we can due to the fact those who came before were reckless with it. I am certain Mary Wingfield Scott would rally to save the West Hospital if she were around. VCU has plenty of land and other opportunities for what it needs and wants.

Edited by Cadeho

Yes, buildings outlive their lifespans for their function at times. That doesn't mean demolish them. That's like demolishing CIrcuit City stores and headquarters because they closed. We complain that Richmond has no spectacular or iconic buildings yet when one is threatened, you forget about it. You know good and well that we will never see any new skyscrapers in Richmond that does not have a flat top and a plain design. Imagine if we tore down the Central National Bank building because it's been vacant for a decade. We treat other buildings that way, why didn't we do that for that? I am sure you would have been happy with the loss of that building too if we replaced it with something shorter and less historic or interesting.

Edited by Cadeho

I like it. Hope it stays. it's not an eyesore other than the deferred maintenance and lack of investment in modernizing building systems.

The only justifiable reason to replace is if it is detrimental to the the school or patient care and a new building can't be placed functionally elsewhere. . Even still, I'd like to think there are smart folks at VCU that can find a way to satisfy both camps.

Current plans for the MCV campus include the addition of more housing for medical and professional students. It would be interesting to explore the idea of converting West Hospital into housing for some of those students. If my math is correct, there are just over 4300 students who attend classes at MCV, most of whom currently live off campus. I'm sure some of them would prefer to live on campus.

The shape and layout of the building lends itself easily to some kind of residential use.

I could even see parts of the building (several lower floors) being used for MCV student study space, administrative offices, and even relocation of the medical library.

(The cross shape of the building provides lots of external exposures which are great for student study rooms/break-out spaces and offices.)

• 2 weeks later...

2 new VCU highrises :D

One I assume is that new building with the rendering in the Richmond Developments topic. 

The two will be a 7-story and 11 story building, both on Grace (one on the corner of Grace and Shafer).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/two-new-projects-will-serve-vcu/article_66cba4e1-7cad-526d-a03e-592150e266bd.html

Too exciting!

2 new VCU highrises :D

One I assume is that new building with the rendering in the Richmond Developments topic. 

The two will be a 7-story and 11 story building, both on Grace (one on the corner of Grace and Shafer).

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/two-new-projects-will-serve-vcu/article_66cba4e1-7cad-526d-a03e-592150e266bd.html

Too exciting!

I'd like to see a rending of the 7-story building...or one of the 7 and 11-story buildings together since they will be next to one another (if I read that correctly).  Anyone know of a rendering of, at least, the 7-story building?

Edited by eandslee

I'm sure Burt would have loved this story, as he did in 2011. 

51434641da91d.image.jpg

VCU’s Peppas get some love on Today Show

NEW YORK —Virginia Commonwealth University’s Peppas athletic band rolled into Rockefeller Plaza on a double-decker bus wrapped with “Havoc Lives Here!” and got some air time on The Today Show early this morning.

The band is in town while VCU plays in the Atlantic 10 basketball tournament at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The Rams play Saint Joseph’s in the quarterfinals Friday at 6:30.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/vcu/vcu-s-peppas-get-some-love-on-today-show/article_162cac84-8d7f-11e2-86b2-001a4bcf6878.html

Here are better pics of the bus:

havoc3.jpg?w=975

And of course, this beautiful dunk shot:

havoc2.jpg?w=975

• 2 months later...

Hopefully if I get free time today, I will run by the new building nearing completion next to the James Cabell Branch Library to get some pictures. It is a really nice looking structure -- probably one of the better (higher-quality) looking buildings VCU has constructed on the Monroe Park campus in quite a while. I believe one of the structures/wings of the new construction has a green/living roof which may be accessible by students judging by the railings that go around the top of the roof structure. It has a very nice urban look to it.

Also, the new housing along the north side of Grace Street is coming along nicely. I imagine it will be done by move-in this fall. It looks like they're finishing up the exterior and working on the interior. (As a side note: it looks like the little night club next door [can't think of the name as it has changed a few times since I was a student] is getting a renovation too).

Renovation is ongoing at Johnson Hall (SW corner of Franklin & Laurel).

And lastly: the construction site for the new children's hospital on the MCV campus is quite impressive. I haven't seen a construction pit that deep in a very long time in Richmond (in fact, I don't know that I have ever seen one that deep in my 7 years in Richmond).

• 2 weeks later...