VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Yeah that's the key point I think we need to remember when talking about this is that it is a dormitory not a new corporate headquarters or office tower. I'm happy with the look of it, it certainly has more character and design put into it than your average brick box dormitories. Plus it'll give us more density, and more density will lead us to better retail and transit options in the city. 

• 1 month later...

Not solely a VCU development, but also a possible partnership with the city to develop a new baseball stadium NEAR the current stadium site.  At this point I don't care where it is built, just build the darn thing for Pete's sake!  More to follow in this I'm sure.

http://m.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_f531f637-9b4e-55e7-804f-19206162a4de.html?mode=jqm

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Not solely a VCU development, but also a possible partnership with the city to develop a new baseball stadium NEAR the current stadium site.  At this point I don't care where it is built, just build the darn thing for Pete's sake!  More to follow in this I'm sure.

http://m.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_f531f637-9b4e-55e7-804f-19206162a4de.html?mode=jqm

Can they just finish this and build a mixed use development including a new stadium on the boulevard already?

I would love to see the new stadium go in Gilpin Court.  It's a wasteland that needs some sort of development and is right near the interstate.  It would also be conveniently close to both of VCU campuses.  It would do wonders in helping along Jackson Ward, Midtown, and VCU's campuses.  

17 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I would love to see the new stadium go in Gilpin Court.  It's a wasteland that needs some sort of development and is right near the interstate.  It would also be conveniently close to both of VCU campuses.  It would do wonders in helping along Jackson Ward, Midtown, and VCU's campuses.  

While I agree that the Gilpin Court area has the land for a stadium and I've thought about putting the stadium there as well, there are a few major issues that would prevent this.

First being that the Gilpin Court neighborhood is not easily accessed from the interstate. So, a reworking of on and off ramps would have to be done to make this work.

Second is that there are a couple of large cemeteries (personally I think cemeteries are a waste of space) in the area that would certainly have to be worked around, let alone the amount of backlash/opposition you would have trying to build a stadium right next to a cemetery. 

The third and probably the most difficult issue is the amount of public housing that exists in Gilpin. All of these people would have to be relocated into already existing public housing or new housing. And not to get into the ongoing debate about Richmond's public housing, but the city already has a lot of issues related to this and I don't think that a stadium is worth opening that can of worms. 

The article mentions the possibility of using the state owned land that the ABC distribution center is located. I think that could work, free up the blvd for development while continuing the neighborhood transition from old industrial to mixed use. South of the ABC center warehouses are being turned into lofts and apartments, so, we really have to think how much longer is it really reasonable for the ABC office to keep their operation there. I think in another five years most of the industry in that part of town will have moved or be planning to move out due to the changing neighborhood, so I don't see the stadium possibly going where the ABC center is as a loss of the ABC center because I don't see the ABC center staying there in the long run anyway.

Personally I wish they'd just do this plan on the blvd and be done with it.

Diamond-render-3.jpg

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

While I agree that the Gilpin Court area has the land for a stadium and I've thought about putting the stadium there as well, there are a few major issues that would prevent this.

First being that the Gilpin Court neighborhood is not easily accessed from the interstate. So, a reworking of on and off ramps would have to be done to make this work.

Second is that there are a couple of large cemeteries (personally I think cemeteries are a waste of space) in the area that would certainly have to be worked around, let alone the amount of backlash/opposition you would have trying to build a stadium right next to a cemetery. 

The third and probably the most difficult issue is the amount of public housing that exists in Gilpin. All of these people would have to be relocated into already existing public housing or new housing. And not to get into the ongoing debate about Richmond's public housing, but the city already has a lot of issues related to this and I don't think that a stadium is worth opening that can of worms. 

The article mentions the possibility of using the state owned land that the ABC distribution center is located. I think that could work, free up the blvd for development while continuing the neighborhood transition from old industrial to mixed use. South of the ABC center warehouses are being turned into lofts and apartments, so, we really have to think how much longer is it really reasonable for the ABC office to keep their operation there. I think in another five years most of the industry in that part of town will have moved or be planning to move out due to the changing neighborhood, so I don't see the stadium possibly going where the ABC center is as a loss of the ABC center because I don't see the ABC center staying there in the long run anyway.

Personally I wish they'd just do this plan on the blvd and be done with it.

A few points:

1) The housing in Gilpin is/was supposed to be eliminated eventually much like many of the current housing projects.

2) I recall seeing plans to redo the I-95/64-Chamberlayne/Belvidere interchange so hopefully access would be improved.

3) I believe there were also already plans for the ABC the relocate (hence several proposals for the stadium there) so you nailed that.

4 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I think there would be enough vacant area for the stadium.  Right now it would be very tight and would require some streets to be built on.  If they moved just one block of housing, it would provide plenty of room.  

The ABC warehouse seems like the most probable place though.  However, I wouldn't rule out the redskins camp not getting renewed and them using that land.  I'm sure VCU wants it closer to campus.

While at the VCU Engineering Senior Capstone Expo they played a video/rendering of the new VCU Engineering building that will go up on Cary & Belvidere. This will be on the east side of the intersection where there is currently a grassy lawn. I can't find the rendering online which is disappointing. It seems to be mostly glass and there will be a connection to the current VCU Engineering East Hall building that it will be next to. I also learned that VCU has all of the money it needs to build it and early completion estimates are three years from now, so open for fall semester 2019 I believe. I'll keep an eye out for renderings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tparkerzut said:

While at the VCU Engineering Senior Capstone Expo they played a video/rendering of the new VCU Engineering building that will go up on Cary & Belvidere. This will be on the east side of the intersection where there is currently a grassy lawn. I can't find the rendering online which is disappointing. It seems to be mostly glass and there will be a connection to the current VCU Engineering East Hall building that it will be next to. I also learned that VCU has all of the money it needs to build it and early completion estimates are three years from now, so open for fall semester 2019 I believe. I'll keep an eye out for renderings. 

That's great news, hope see something soon!

• 2 weeks later...

hey that is awesome!

Wish there was a little more height to it but seeing how it's replacing some pretty short buildings this will be a big improvement. It also looks like it will be visible from I95 which is great, lets people who are driving through know that Richmond is growing!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how I ended up there, but found some interesting (conceptual) renderings of potential VCU School of Education (first image) and STEM buildings (second image) by architects BCWH.

http://bcwh.com/work/vcu-school-of-education/

http://bcwh.com/work/vcu-stem-building/

VCU-School-of-Education-Final_20140220-e

STEM-rendering1-CP_Page_2-e1455734419684

Edit: just realized these may have already been posted before, if so, my apologies

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 3

Where is the new School of Education building set to be placed? The website says it is intended to "bridge the gap between the Institute for Contemporary Art, private development, Broad Street and the Monroe Park campus". It got me excited that it might be slated for the old Hess gas station lot on the SE corner of Broad and Belvidere. 

I'm in love with the design of that EDU building; VCU is really stepping up its architecture game with this and the recent Cabell renovation. 

Edited by Blackbird Fly

Great find, @RVA-Is-The-Best! The conceptual renderings may have been posted when VCU first adopted their latest comp plan, but these are definitely new.

@Blackbird Fly: it looks like the proposed SOE building will be on the southwest corner of Grace and Belvidere opposite the Honors College. It will share a block with the condominium tower on Franklin and a couple of other existing low-rise VCU buildings at the corner of Franklin and Belvidere.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen anything on it but the 7-11 at Grace and Harrison is now demolished.  A new one opened in Ramz Hall so I wonder what is being done with the site.  I see nothing on GIS (and the property transfer history is not currently loading).

26 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Well this is interesting - not sure how real these renderings are, but this is for the Uphoff corner of Grace and Belvidere next to the ICA courtesy of Price Studios:

belvederegrace-south_elevation.jpg

belvederegrace-rendering.jpg

I like the design(even if it isn't real). It definitely is striking and will stand out among the usual dorms and classrooms near Monroe park. Like you said though, Uphoff isn't the most trustworthy developer in Richmond so these renderings could very well be fake.

I really hope it isn't fake.  That would be amazing for that spot.  Especially since that gas station is such an eye sore.  

Hopefully VCU is putting the pressure on him to sell or redevelop.  I can't imagine they're just going to be ok with a dump being right next to the ICA.