VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

I also like the design. ~17 stories isn't too bad for that area. I hope Uphoff delivers on this one. I also hope ground breaks soon. It would be nice to have this open at the same time or about the same time as the ICA opening. 

Where did you get this rendering?  Was this found online anywhere?

3 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I also like the design. ~17 stories isn't too bad for that area. I hope Uphoff delivers on this one. I also hope ground breaks soon. It would be nice to have this open at the same time or about the same time as the ICA opening. 

Where did you get this rendering?  Was this found online anywhere?

The renderings can be found here.  Unfortunately it doesn't provide any other information.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

well, well, well....what do we have here.  

size

height  

prominent location 

something other than a gas station

upcoming area 

that crazy hat   wait, WTF...

I know right. This is unheard off! Reallyhoping this isn't fake because I love this building!

On 6/6/2016 at 3:57 PM, Icetera said:

I have not seen anything on it but the 7-11 at Grace and Harrison is now demolished.  A new one opened in Ramz Hall so I wonder what is being done with the site.  I see nothing on GIS (and the property transfer history is not currently loading).

Well, that answers that.  Going to be a bigger nicer 7-11.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/06/13/the-disappearing-reappearing-c-store/

1 hour ago, swimmer said:

Regarding the Uphoff project, this Richmond Biz article originally had a 10 story building slated for the gas station site

http://richmondbizsense.com/2012/08/10/gas-station-owner-wants-you-to-fill-up-his-building/

uphoff-tower-300x196.jpg

In a later article (2014?) it was mentioned that he was pushing for 18 floors and due to the elevation it would be the tallest in the city.  I will see if I can dig it up.

Also, welcome to the boards!

I am having a hard time finding the article (was about Chinese partnership for Water Park) but here is another article:

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2016-02-17/News/Uphoff_pumps_up_portfolio_buys_gas_stations_in_Flo.html

"Uphoff also plans to build an 18-story apartment building next to Virginia Commonwealth University’s proposed Institute for Contemporary Art. The building has been approved by Richmond City Council and will include 129 apartments, penthouse suites on the top floor, and retail on the bottom two floors. "

Edited by Icetera
Article link
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Icetera said:

In a later article (2014?) it was mentioned that he was pushing for 18 floors and due to the elevation it would be the tallest in the city.  I will see if I can dig it up.

Also, welcome to the boards!

I am having a hard time finding the article (was about Chinese partnership for Water Park) but here is another article:

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2016-02-17/News/Uphoff_pumps_up_portfolio_buys_gas_stations_in_Flo.html

"Uphoff also plans to build an 18-story apartment building next to Virginia Commonwealth University’s proposed Institute for Contemporary Art. The building has been approved by Richmond City Council and will include 129 apartments, penthouse suites on the top floor, and retail on the bottom two floors. "

Didn't know it was approved by city council already! Hopefully they will get started on it soon. Our skyline will be loaded with construction cranes in about 2-3 years.

5 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Didn't know it was approved by city council already! Hopefully they will get started on it soon. Our skyline will be loaded with construction cranes in about 2-3 years.

I'm not so sure about that, it doesn't show up on the City's Parcel Project Mapper, nor has any real news about it come up in recent months (because believe me, a project of this scope in VCU would draw media attention).

http://map.richmondgov.com/LandUseProject/

• 2 months later...

ICA-exterior-night1.jpg

I predict that the ICA will end up being one of Richmond's most significant landmarks. Check out the final renderings and you'll see how spectacular it will be. Steven Holl is one of the greatest living architects and his interior spaces are known to be masterpieces of light and scale. VCU should be careful to shape the area around it in a respectful way. 

Edited by changingskyline
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...