VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hikendesign said:

This is the link to the location where I got the elevation - there's more here to look at.  The pencil renderings look better, when they progressed to the computer drawings the depth went away. The elevations are very flat and it looks, for lack of finding a better description, like cheap materials.  As a backdrop to Monroe park on Main street, the Altria theater and the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, this has the potential to look like a big hulking out of place neighbor.  Hopefully it's a bad computer rendering and it looks better than this illustrates. We should probably look to the new buildings recently constructed on Broad and Grace streets for similar quality perhaps - those are ok and have some character so all hope may not be lost.

http://www.housing.vcu.edu/grc-project/

It looks like they are leaving a quarter of the block for future development.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:30 AM, drayrichmond said:

Drove by MCV today and saw the demo of the old dormitories to make way for the new Allied Health Professions building is pretty well underway, I'd say they're at least if not more than 50% through the demo.

Well, technically, not under construction, but demo of the old dormitory on that siteis is half way gone to make way for this building. See the quote above mentioned on Friday!

15 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, technically, not under construction, but demo of the old dormitory on that siteis is half way gone to make way for this building. See the quote above mentioned on Friday!

Looks like there is a little confusion in what's called what, what is being built now (currently in demo phase) is the new Allied Health Professions Building not a new Ambulatory Care Tower. Wrldcoupe4 mentioned something about an Ambulatory Care center, I'm not sure what it is or if it has been proposed yet, they were just saying that they heard something about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

Looks like there is a little confusion in what's called what, what is being built now (currently in demo phase) is the new Allied Health Professions Building not a new Ambulatory Care Tower. Wrldcoupe4 mentioned something about an Ambulatory Care center, I'm not sure what it is or if it has been proposed yet, they were just saying that they heard something about it.

Oops! Thanks for the clarification. I'm the guilty one that got everyone off track. :blush:Innocent mistake. :whistling:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Found this link to show the progress of the Gladding Residence project.  There are quite a few options on which view and panorama views, great views of the city and of Monroe park.  i'm surprised they're using mobile cranes and not tower, will they switch over at some point?  These cameras allow us to watch the Monroe park progress too when it starts up. 

https://app.oxblue.com/open/ACC/VCW

Just my uneducated opinion, but I don't think they will switch over to tower cranes. Been watching this one for a while and there has been no indication of a tower crane going up. I'm disappointed, but the project is really moving along now. 

Good news, everyone!  We are getting a new surface parking lot!

"Freiman said VCU plans to demolish the former Ever Green restaurant, as well as the apartment building next to it on Grace Street, for parking."

At least we have an opening date for the ICA (Oct 28).

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/02/10/opening-set-for-ica-at-broad-and-belvidere/

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Good news, everyone!  We are getting a new surface parking lot!

"Freiman said VCU plans to demolish the former Ever Green restaurant, as well as the apartment building next to it on Grace Street, for parking."

LOL!  Too funny!  Maybe be they will build something on that lot eventually. 

I'm optimistic that the parking is only a short term solution so that VCU isn't just sitting on a bunch of unused blighted properties.  The building housing Ever Green isn't suitable or nice enough for VCU and having it gutted and waiting will make the area look less "safe" to parents.

A lot of West Grace was VCU surface level parking before they got the funding to move forward with suitable projects.  Click forward on google maps to see.

I bet building up the Belvedere, Grace, & Broad St. corridors that connect the two campuses is going to be a big park of the next master plan.  They have already situated their police department between the two campuses.  They have a vested interest in helping the major corridors connecting them improve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...