VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Any insight if a camera has been set up to view the construction of the new Allied Health Professions building?  Historically the school sets up RAMCAM but they did not do that for the new dorm construction, they used a OXLUE capability.  Just curious.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I'm interested in knowing what VCU plans to do with these two city blocks. I also wonder if they have ever approached Uppy to see if he is willing to sell. I'd much rather see Uppy's highrise be built sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, I don't think he's got a solid plan. 

Sunoco next to the ICA is closing according to a short article in the RTD this morning (sorry, no link - ran out of my free pages I could read). The operator says that VCU is buying it, but there was no confirmation of that.  I thought this gas station was owned by Uppy?  It's at the corner of Grace and Belvidere. Am I thinking of another block?  If this is Uppy's and the gas station is closing, could something be going down...or rather, about to be built up?!  Interesting development. 

Very curious development, it is the Uppy station, a lot of unknowns and questions in the article. We'll just have to wait until more information is released, right now it just seems like people are guessing.

Here's the link:

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/sunoco-station-at-belvidere-and-grace-is-closing-is-vcu/article_45759444-f1cf-543d-afa3-31a26c8707ce.html

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, drayrichmond said:

Very curious development, it is the Uppy station, a lot of unknowns and questions in the article. We'll just have to wait until more information is released, right now it just seems like people are guessing.

Here's the link:

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/sunoco-station-at-belvidere-and-grace-is-closing-is-vcu/article_45759444-f1cf-543d-afa3-31a26c8707ce.html

Interesting that the article refers to the "Land 600 LLC" and its address as the land owner but neglects to tie it to "Uppy's Convenience Stores, Inc." or "Uphoff Ventures" at the same address.

"Richmond city property assessment records show the parcel at 600 W. Grace St. is owned by Land 600 LLC, which, according to State Corporation Commission records, has a principal office at 4900 W. Hundred Road in Chester."

4900 West 100.JPG

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 3

Bam!!

"Breaking: 18-story tower eyed for VCU gas station site; bowling alley included"

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/06/12/breaking-18-story-tower-eyed-for-vcu-gas-station-site-bowling-alley-included/

I am having a hard time envisioning how the bowling alley (plus the competition on Boulevard) will fit in the space but this is certainly exciting!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I knew something was afoot!  With the gas station closing, there had to be something going on!!!  Now, to look at the design and get some details. 

The RTD appears to have a rendering. 

I added the rendering and RTD link to "The Belvidere" thread.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2017 at 8:31 AM, hikendesign said:

Was at Altria yesterday for a Maggie Walker Graduation ceremony - turned around and took 1 image of the under construction Gladding Residence.  This building is tight to Cary Street and is quite a change for this area.

Link here for webcam - which also now shows Monroe park renovations due to camera location

https://app.oxblue.com/open/ACC/VCW

I'm glad this building is close to the street, much like the new dorms and Grace and on Broad. Give the street a more urban feel and less campus/suburban. 

• Like 1

It feels like the biggest building in Richmond.  I like the size but I'm a bit surprised by how much it dwarfs Monroe Park. 

As noted above, it shows up on the skyline more than I was expecting, especially from the bridges over the Downtown Expresseay and looking West up Cary. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I am surprised to see how visible the new dorm tower is from Rocketts Landing:

IMG_20170626_210211429.jpg

Oh wow!  You're right!  I never knew that they would be visible at all really...except maybe coming up I-95 (heading north).  Nice shot!

A minor setback for the ICA?  Opening delayed to sometime in the spring due to operations planning and to allow at least 12 weeks for the building to environmentally stabilize enough to house the art.  To me, it looks like the construction is a little behind as well. At any rate, not the best news, but at least The Belvidere next door will be well on its way by then (assuming it breaks ground in October as planned).

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/vcu-s-landmark-ica-building-won-t-open-in-october/article_a400aa42-8e35-5720-bdc4-bc160a4eead2.html

18 minutes ago, eandslee said:

A minor setback for the ICA?  Opening delayed to sometime in the spring due to operations planning and to allow at least 12 weeks for the building to environmentally stabilize enough to house the art.  To me, it looks like the construction is a little behind as well. At any rate, not the best news, but at least The Belvidere next door will be well on its way by then (assuming it breaks ground in October as planned).

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/vcu-s-landmark-ica-building-won-t-open-in-october/article_a400aa42-8e35-5720-bdc4-bc160a4eead2.html

A complex build like this, I'm not surprised, I was actually expecting this.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

They have steel rising only one maybe two floors in some spots. I ride my bike by it twice everyday, i'll try and snap a picture. 

Also I know VCU is working on doing an adult ambulatory facility. I can't find anything online about it by my company is supposed to be doing the MEP design for it. Design is supposed to start up this fall and I think it's supposed to be 16 stories.

Is there no crane on site?  If so, I haven't seen it in the skyline from any of the webcam vantage points that I use that point in that direction.  Remind me...how many stories is this supposed to be again?  I'm looking forward to the adult ambulatory facility, but I thought it was going to be online sooner than that.