VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Two towers yes please

And @skinsfan if you want to hit me up with those images in PM I'm certainly game i won't spill promise 

Same here!  Won’t say a word!!  The government trusts me with their most trusted secrets - you can count on me! 

• 4 weeks later...

Times-Dispatch reporting that VCU has filed an application with the Commission on Architectural Review to demolish the existing building (old restaurant) at 501 West Broad Street and possibly put up a 13-story tower

“The ultimate use for this property will be determined as part of the VCU master planning process now underway,” VCU spokesman Michael Porter said. “We are removing the building for safety and aesthetic reasons, which will allow the property to be possibly used as parking in the short term.”

:tw_confused:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Toni said:

Times-Dispatch reporting that VCU has filed an application with the Commission on Architectural Review to demolish the existing building (old restaurant) at 501 West Broad Street and possibly put up a 13-story tower

:tw_confused:

13 stories???  No, no, no, no!!!  That is all wrong...we have folks who say it will be 17-18 stories.  What the heck is going on??

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

13 stories???  No, no, no, no!!!  That is all wrong...we have folks who say it will be 17-18 stories.  What the heck is going on??

This is a completely different site. The address is right across Belvedere from the ICA so this is absolutely perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

This is a completely different site. The address is right across Belvedere from the ICA so this is absolutely perfect!

I just figured out my mistake. I totally thought this was the Adult outpatient facility.   Sorry for my panic, but this is a welcome addition.  We always knew VCU would build something there, but the rough drawing looks like a throw back from the 1960s... gross!  Short term parking?  Really?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

https://richmondva.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=6194815&GUID=93985E32-CD2E-4487-A890-A77A1336841A

zoom in on the logo towards the end. It’s a City Target logo. Would be pretty cool. 

Oh!  Now I see it!  Very good eye!  Took me a second to figure out which page, but interesting to say the least.  I wonder if it would really mean the city would get a Target?  Maybe it’s just a generic storefront logo.  Either way, I would have never seen this if it weren’t for you pointing it out.  Thanks!

While these renderings are obviously preliminary, I actually don't hate them at all. Also I really want something across the street from the ICA, that would really increase the urban feel of that intersection. I also want the Upoff to build the tower next to the ICA because of this. I know a lof of people on here said they didn't want it. 

• Like 2

So I grew up in Lexington, KY and went to University of Kentucky and still follow development there. In some ways, campus is similar to VCU in that it is very close to the downtown. I was reading some news in relation to a new campus development and it made me think of the discussion relating to the new VCU building potentially being built near the ICA. The article mentions how Target is opening a small-format store....

"Target is aiming to operate 130 small-format stores by the end of 2019, serving communities, such as colleges, and neighborhoods where a traditional Target store may not fit. "

Could this indicate their intentions for Richmond and the VCU area?

http://smileypete.com/business/target/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, georgeglass said:

So I grew up in Lexington, KY and went to University of Kentucky and still follow development there. In some ways, campus is similar to VCU in that it is very close to the downtown. I was reading some news in relation to a new campus development and it made me think of the discussion relating to the new VCU building potentially being built near the ICA. The article mentions how Target is opening a small-format store....

"Target is aiming to operate 130 small-format stores by the end of 2019, serving communities, such as colleges, and neighborhoods where a traditional Target store may not fit. "

Could this indicate their intentions for Richmond and the VCU area?

http://smileypete.com/business/target/

I would be pleased with this just so long as it is not like the WalMart on Campus store at VCU.  

I went there thinking that I would find a router (I couldn't find one anywhere in the downtown area).  I was underwhelmed by what was offered.  There was another customer in front of me at checkout (I figured I could pick up a few things) that had entered "WalMart" on Google Maps and wound up at the one downtown.  He, too, was disappointed.  

I DO get that it's catered for college students (now I do...the guy in front of me too), but I have to assume that the demand for more shopping is pent up in the area.  I'd appreciate a store (PLEASE BE A TARGET) that would meet this demand.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only article I can find with any real actual details that are known publicly. It does mention that HDR and Hourigan are the architect and contractor. I wasn't aware if that had been mentioned before. It does confirm the 18 stories and how it will impact the skyline!!

https://www.theconstructionindex.com/news/view/hdr-and-hourigan-win-two-virginia-healthcare-projects

• Like 3