VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

On 5/30/2018 at 10:09 AM, eandslee said:

It's the expansion of the business and engineering school, if memory serves me right.

Check this out for more info:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/01/22/92-addition-slated-vcu-school-engineering/

VCU actually broke ground on this project yesterday.  Expect things to really pick up in that area in the coming weeks!

• Like 2

Also,  wrldcoupe4 called this one way back when the tower was first announced!  I was hoping Uphoff would really build his tower, but he was indeed just trying to jack up the price so that VCU would pay a premium for his land next to the ICA.  Good call Coupe!  You are no stranger to the way things are done in Richmond.  You deserve a badge of some sort!  Ha ha

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/06/06/vcu-gas-station-site-sells-mystery-buyer-3-8m/

• Like 2

Big time!  Wasn't there talk of another 18-story hospital tower just north of the main complex farther east from where this tower is going up?  Has anyone seen any news about that?

Either way - this building, plus the new General Assembly building will really add some muscle to this section of downtown.

19 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Big time!  Wasn't there talk of another 18-story hospital tower just north of the main complex farther east from where this tower is going up?  Has anyone seen any news about that?

Either way - this building, plus the new General Assembly building will really add some muscle to this section of downtown.

I saw a proposal to replace the North Hospital years ago, if this want you are referencing.

Here's the publicity we've been waiting for on this project:

http://www.richmond.com/business/plus/vcu-health-plans-million-outpatient-center-it-is-the-largest/article_8072cdc3-4059-5d2a-b4b1-4448ec0fece7.html?utm_source=RTD Email&utm_medium=_Breaking News&utm_campaign=_Breaking News

I don't have a subscription, so I can't read it, but if anyone has access and can reveal any construction timetable or any other pertinent data, please post it here!  Thanks!

Just posting another rendering here for your convenience.  The rendering in the article appears to be from a different perspective.  Would love to see the whole thing!

VCU's New Adult Ambulatory Tower Rendering

Edited by eandslee

41 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Here's the publicity we've been waiting for on this project:

http://www.richmond.com/business/plus/vcu-health-plans-million-outpatient-center-it-is-the-largest/article_8072cdc3-4059-5d2a-b4b1-4448ec0fece7.html?utm_source=RTD Email&utm_medium=_Breaking News&utm_campaign=_Breaking News

I don't have a subscription, so I can't read it, but if anyone has access and can reveal any construction timetable or any other pertinent data, please post it here!  Thanks!

Just posting another rendering here for your convenience.  The rendering in the article appears to be from a different perspective.  Would love to see the whole thing!

VCU's New Adult Ambulatory Tower Rendering

Yeah, media was super slow on this project, I mean we've known about it for months at this point and demo is halfway done!

Nothing really new in the article, not that we already know.

Ground breaking will be this Friday. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, drayrichmond said:

Yeah, media was super slow on this project, I mean we've known about it for months at this point and demo is halfway done!

Nothing really new in the article, not that we already know.

Ground breaking will be this Friday. 

Thanks for the groundbreaking information!  Really?  Demo is halfway done?  That's moving quickly if true!

2 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

The RTD article doesn't give any information not given in that link.

Also, the building looks pretty cool for me.  I'm very excited for this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

Also, the building looks pretty cool for me.  I'm very excited for this.

I am too!  Hopefully, this the start of a major makeover in that area of downtown.  Next up will be the new arena and all the development associated with the plan NH District Corp is putting together, which includes the arena (of course), a new 400+-room hotel (surely will be a nice highrise), and maybe some new housing (may become highrises)!  This area of downtown may become the next development hot spot!

Back to a previous post, this article from January 2005 mentions the replacement of the North Hospital.   Though I am not sure if this is part of the current master plan. 

Third to last paragraph:

https://www.news.vcu.edu/article/Critical_Care_Bed_Tower_project_officially_under_way

Edited by Shakman
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, Brent114 said:

I really like this one, VCU’s second best  new building IMO (their best is the I M Pei building). 

Really? To each their own I suppose then, I found this to be one of the worse buildings of the recent building boom. I really liked the University Learning Center on Floyd and the Cabell library addition. This is just a monstrosity (great for density, but I'm very meh on the design and how it turned out imo)

49 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Yep, I'd say demo is well underway!

5b298b6e75e0c.image.jpg?resize=1200,809

They were scheduled to break ground today.  Hope it happened...I haven't heard any reports that it has.  Was scheduled for 0930 this morning.  Can anyone confirm?

The whole site should be cleared now, if I had to guess.  This photo is several days old.

Just wanted to put this here.  This is a rendering from the opposite perspective than what we've seen before and let's you see the other side of the building and how it will be laid out.  At close inspection, it appears that those ARE cars on the front left side.  Looks like the first 7-8 floors will be a parking deck with about 11 levels of parking...if what I'm seeing is correct.

VCU Adult Outpatient Tower - Northwest Perspective

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

GRC is looking extra good at night. 

I was worried about how the old Branch Baths building would be incorporated. Looked dorky in the drawings.

I think the solution in real life is quite elegant.  The treatment is museum quality.  The only nod to the old building is the colour of the landscape bricks around the base, which grounds it to the property.   The rest of it it just there not trying to have any organic relationship with the new building at all.   It is totally different but looks natural enshrined in the monolithic dorm (think of a baby crab inside of an oyster).   

I just love everything about this building.  It’s so classic university and so clean and efficient.  Bravo. 

781605D9-A710-499A-9966-95A96B5200E8.jpeg

5FE78FC8-6CC6-4090-9B02-34E5AD3D0E53.jpeg

CE53ECC7-7266-4C0B-8BBA-AC2E6A6E2535.jpeg

B7B38E25-C0AD-4FDA-BAF5-38F07071CA2F.jpeg

E0EEDA93-6A22-4521-B857-8E90DDB5608C.jpeg

• Like 4