VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I don’t think the cranes will be ground mounted. 

I have always wanted to see a crane mounted to a helicopter.  Perhaps they will be build this top - down.    :D

(Sorry.  Couldn't resist being a smarta$$)

Edited by Shakman

9 hours ago, Icetera said:

Watching the Navy Hill presentation I am curious as to where they dug up this rendering for the Children's Hospital expansion.  The massing looks quite a bit larger than the other rendering as it dwarfs City Hall.

image.png.c027a6a8316afd8428eb7a003de2b933.png

No, actually I think that’s about right. That third level on top will be added during this next phase of construction - it is not a small addition.  It may look odd in this rendering because all the details are not there, but from the official renderings I’ve seen, this appears to be accurate. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

No, actually I think that’s about right. That third level on top will be added during this next phase of construction - it is not a small addition.  It may look odd in this rendering because all the details are not there, but from the official renderings I’ve seen, this appears to be accurate. 

The one Hike shared a while back appears to show more of a set back at the upper levels.  This thing is going to have a serious impact on the skyline.
cache-13811-0x0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the web cam this morning, it looks like there is some crane activity happening on the east side of the current Children’s Outpatient Facility.  Can’t tell exactly what’s going on, but there appears to be a tall crane (yellow) working.  I’d post a screenshot but can’t from my location. Look at the rooftop view webcam and you’ll see it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hike said:

Good catch there!  Looks like we'll have to wait and see.  Could they have built in a crane attachment location at that corner from the initial lower section and all they have to do is to add in the sections, guess we'll find out.  

I've added in the red arrow again, I'm good at those...also, there's a smaller crane at the north side, where their digging the foundation, and I've noticed all the large equipment in the hole has no way in or out.  They'll need to get a crane to get stuff in and out of there.  

VCUH_New_Children's_Hospital_CRANE.jpg

If you look closely in your picture, you can see on top of the roof on the east and west sides (kind of in the middle of that side), what looks like attachment brackets and such. I think they will attach tower cranes at those points is my guess.  When the first phase was built, the two cranes poked through the roof at those points, so it makes sense to use those same points to erect tower cranes for this second phase. 

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

If you look closely in your picture, you can see on top of the roof on the east and west sides (kind of in the middle of that side), what looks like attachment brackets and such. I think they will attach tower cranes at those points is my guess.  When the first phase was built, the two cranes poked through the roof at those points, so it makes sense to use those same points to erect tower cranes for this second phase. 

I don't see what you are referring to.  Can you point it out with an arrow?  

EDIT: 

Being serious.  I opened the pic using an editing software and zoomed into west side.  Now I see it.  The way it's placed, it does look like supports for a tower crane.  There is also an electrical panel there as well.  

Yeah I know.  With me it's hard to determine if I'm being serious or smarty pants.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shakman said:

Trying to see it from the Outpatient webcam unfortunately the elevator shaft is blocking the view. 

Yeah, tried that view already, but like you, couldn’t see anything. The best view is the one showing the current building’s rooftop. You just can’t see what they are doing on the ground, nor can you see if they have any crane parts down there.  

What I thought were the brackets eads was referring to are actually cones to warn people and keep equipment away.   Sandbags are being used keep them in place.  The panel looks to be temporary power for construction.

Edited by Shakman

1 hour ago, Ward Wood said:

Anyone have a pic!?!?

The tower crane isn’t really up yet. I think they ran into some difficulty this weekend. They spent all weekend just putting up a steel box frame on the roof and they worked until 11:00 PM last night and still no great progress.  I’m wondering what the issue is?  Looks like the crane may be slightly delayed due to some technical difficulty.