VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

14 hours ago, eandslee said:

Saw on the Pulse Facebook page that there will be a detour off Broad St this Saturday due to the completion of the crane on top of the Children’s Hospital.  Be on the lookout for it this weekend!

They had 10th St. blocked last night with what looked like at least three trailers of crane sections.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Guys - as we try to recover from the painful disappointment of the NH vote, perhaps this little nugget can salve some of our wounds. I wasn't sure if the VCU thread was the best place to post this, as this project is not a VCU-specific development. But since it's located near the Academic Campus - and since I don't recall seeing a "Midtown" thread on this board, I'm posting it here.

New residential tower planned for Broad and Lombardy!

https://www.richmond.com/business/story-apartment-building-planned-for-broad-and-lombardy-streets-near/article_7572f987-14e7-5270-8c8b-f6ee648a6617.html?utm_source=NEWS - RTD Morning News&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=RichmondTimesDispatch&utm_content=_Morning News

Broad-Lombardy-residential.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Guys - as we try to recover from the painful disappointment of the NH vote, perhaps this little nugget can salve some of our wounds. I wasn't sure if the VCU thread was the best place to post this, as this project is not a VCU-specific development. But since it's located near the Academic Campus - and since I don't recall seeing a "Midtown" thread on this board, I'm posting it here.

New residential tower planned for Broad and Lombardy!

https://www.richmond.com/business/story-apartment-building-planned-for-broad-and-lombardy-streets-near/article_7572f987-14e7-5270-8c8b-f6ee648a6617.html?utm_source=NEWS - RTD Morning News&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=RichmondTimesDispatch&utm_content=_Morning News

This one has been hanging out over here: 

YES!!!!  City Council approved the Broad and Lombardy residential project. Vote was 7-2. Any surprise that Grey and Trammel voted no?

Grey is quoted as saying that just because someone has a problem with the density doesn't mean they are anti-growth.

Didn't the question of Grey's anti-density position come up here for discussion recently? Is there any way to research her voting record on high-density projects and see if she is quoted as questioning/opposing the density? Someone wanted citation of examples of her position on density. Tonight's quote is Exhibit A.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/proposal-for--story-apartment-tower-at-broad-and-lombardy/article_908a662c-bf28-5716-86b5-d7e00aa1f915.html

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

YES!!!!  City Council approved the Broad and Lombardy residential project. Vote was 7-2. Any surprise that Grey and Trammel voted no?

Grey is quoted as saying that just because someone has a problem with the density doesn't mean they are anti-growth.

Didn't the question of Grey's anti-density position come up here for discussion recently? Is there any way to research her voting record on high-density projects and see if she is quoted as questioning/opposing the density? Someone wanted citation of examples of her position on density. Tonight's quote is Exhibit A.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/proposal-for--story-apartment-tower-at-broad-and-lombardy/article_908a662c-bf28-5716-86b5-d7e00aa1f915.html

I may dig through the archives after this, as I am now curious if this is a pattern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I may dig through the archives after this, as I am now curious if this is a pattern.

It's definitely worth some research. An anti-density candidate for mayor is NOT what Richmond needs. We need leadership that will ramp down on the gas pedal for development with both feet. When it comes to these kinds of projects and the positive impact they have on the city, in this case, bigger IS better.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet! Has anyone taken any longer-range shots to see how the building looks so far relative to the skyline? I'd be interested to see a few shots from Manchester or maybe the I-95 bridge, etc., Church Hill or Jefferson Park. 

Also, how's the progress on the Children's Hospital expansion looking?

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Sweet! Has anyone taken any longer-range shots to see how the building looks so far relative to the skyline? I'd be interested to see a few shots from Manchester or maybe the I-95 bridge, etc., Church Hill or Jefferson Park. 

Also, how's the progress on the Children's Hospital expansion looking?

Its not really visible from Southside or Shockoe, but it is already making a significant impact approaching from the city's West via I-64/95.  I need to pull some dashcam footage.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, eandslee said:

Place this post in the Richmond Development thread and we can update it there when web cams come and go.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Place this post in the Richmond Development thread and we can update it there when web cams come and go.

I don’t know how to pin a new thread at the top, but these links would be worthy of pinning (I think admin has to do it).

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Demo fence is up around the Franklin Street gym.

Bittersweet for me. I'm thrilled that a new, bigger building will be rising on campus. But particularly my freshman and sophomore years (fall of 1981 through spring 1983), I had classes in that building.  Ended up dating a girl from one of those classes for about a year. Wow - seems like an eternity ago - lol.

Still, I'm glad to see VCU keeping the pedal to the metal with new projects. A bigger and better VCU helps Richmond.

• Like 1

Another interesting tidbit from BizSense today; VCU has purchased land near the Diamond to build an 'athletic village' as outlined in their master plan.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/03/30/vcu-pays-11m-for-greyhound-land-near-the-diamond-delays-new-kent-er/

It indicates a tennis center will be part of the athletic village, which begs the question if VCU plans on redeveloping the site of the current Thalhimer Tennis Center across the street from the Cary Street Gym.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this one is being built for future expansion on the southern side.   It is getting the cheap veneer/windows treatment that the children’s pavilion got on its northern side (see purple board and small windows in the above photo). 

I wish they would just build the whole thing at once.  The cheap veneer really drags a building down (like we can’t see it or something). 

• Like 4