VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

8 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Yep - that's the one!

Still - I vaguely recall another possible large-scale building -- another part of the hospital complex -- that was floated are part of VCU's longer-term considerations for the far northeastern end of the campus.

There is another potential monster in the Masterplan:

https://masterplan.vcu.edu/media/master-plan/documents/ONE_VCU_Master_Plan_Report20190322HR_web.pdf

image.png.25c48f1770d8263230b6d1a61aa0f860.png

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Icetera said:

YES!! That's it. Notice it's connected by an aerial bridge to an existing MCV/VCU medical building. I've cropped and highlighted the specific monster (below).

image.png.25c48f1770d8263230b6d1a61aa0f861.jpg

• Like 2

YES!! That's it. Notice it's connected by an aerial bridge to an existing MCV/VCU medical building. I've cropped and highlighted the specific monster (below).

image.png.25c48f1770d8263230b6d1a61aa0f861.jpg.d8c0dc75af785d60811d46203ae9a03d.jpg&key=8d8bab5f914016dfa75143ce737958de9921cefc16c6b34ce2763648691cfa3d

When reading the vcu master plan pdf file it says that massive building appears to be a new inpatient hospital and calls for demolition of certain structures including the vcu visitors parking deck and the vcu patient parking deck as well as the Tompkins Mccaw library and the Strauss research lab. I found two slides on it but can’t post them from my phone unfortunately it won’t let me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

When reading the vcu master plan pdf file it says that massive building appears to be a new inpatient hospital and calls for demolition of certain structures including the vcu visitors parking deck and the vcu patient parking deck as well as the Tompkins Mccaw library and the Strauss research lab. I found two slides on it but can’t post them from my phone unfortunately it won’t let me.

Interesting! Would love to see what you found on this.

11 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Inpatient Hospital
Redevelopment of the Patient and Visitor Parking Deck allows for a new Inpatient Hospital and expands patient care units as well as clinical, public and support services. The new Inpatient Hospital will contain all private rooms, resulting in 100 percent private inpatient rooms for all health system facilities. It will connect directly into the Critical Care Hospital to the south and, because of its proposed massing, will be seen from Interstate 95 as a gateway and marker for the campus from the northeast. A new, expanded patient care drop-off will be off Leigh Street at 12th Street, allowing more direct access, space for queuing and additional open space. A new parking structure will provide over 2,000 parking spaces and enhanced ease of access at points of service. It will require the demolition of the Strauss Research Lab, the Tompkins-McCaw Library, and the Patient and Visitor Parking Deck.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - the elevator shafts on the Children's Hospital expansion have REALLLLLY grown in the last couple of weeks. Can't wait to see how quickly the Marshall Street side of the building catches up. These are great photos -- thanks so much for taking & posting them!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

So I’m a little confused with the inpatient children’s hospital. Are they only adding the impatient part onto the backside of the children’s hospital or will there be additional floors on top of the existing children’s hospital? I’m trying to get an idea of how many floors and how tall this thing is going to end up being.

I wonder if the plan has changed - somewhere I've seen renderings in which there are more than 2 floors added to the Broad Street side (more like 5) - which would make sense given that additional floors have been constructed atop the existing building and the east elevator shaft construction already extends two levels above the top "new" floor already in place. Isn't the whole structure to be something like 16 stories when all is said and done? I'm pretty sure there are still a couple more floors to be added to the top of the existing structure. Screen grab from the webcam for the Outpatient Hospital - gives the best angle of this.

Screenshot (1388).png

Edited by I miss RVA

I wonder if the plan has changed - somewhere I've seen renderings in which there are more than 2 floors added to the Broad Street side (more like 5) - which would make sense given that additional floors have been constructed atop the existing building and the east elevator shaft construction already extends two levels above the top "new" floor already in place. Isn't the whole structure to be something like 16 stories when all is said and done? I'm pretty sure there are still a couple more floors to be added to the top of the existing structure. Screen grab from the webcam for the Outpatient Hospital - gives the best angle of this.
1595181985_Screenshot(1388).thumb.png.7dbaa3fb253466adb494b2de203551ef.png&key=360e16cf3a63627943bf96d525c376aa88745bfda6254cb989cd2a533f659d23

Yeah it’s definitely been confusing on any concrete info how this thing is going to be built and how it will look when it’s all said and done. I thought I had heard 16 floors as well. But like I said I’m not as familiar with this project for vcu as I am with some of the others they have going on. The whole thing with the way they are building it has confused the heck out of me. I also wonder if this will be taller or shorter than city hall? I’ve been trying to figure out the height of it compared to city hall. Like are we looking at 250 feet or 300 feet tall?

2 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Yeah it’s definitely been confusing on any concrete info how this thing is going to be built and how it will look when it’s all said and done. I thought I had heard 16 floors as well. But like I said I’m not as familiar with this project for vcu as I am with some of the others they have going on. The whole thing with the way they are building it has confused the heck out of me.

Agreed - the facts regarding construction and this project do seem to be unclear. I guess elevator shafts don't lie though.

Remember some of the renderings last year by the NH developers? Recall in some of their drawings, they showed a BIG BOXY building - where the Children's Hospital is located - that towered almost as high as City Hall. That was the first indication I had that this building actually was going to be bigger than we originally thought - and so far, the construction seems to be proving that out. I'll see if I can find that old drawing.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, Downtowner said:

Yeah it’s definitely been confusing on any concrete info how this thing is going to be built and how it will look when it’s all said and done. I thought I had heard 16 floors as well. But like I said I’m not as familiar with this project for vcu as I am with some of the others they have going on. The whole thing with the way they are building it has confused the heck out of me. I also wonder if this will be taller or shorter than city hall? I’ve been trying to figure out the height of it compared to city hall. Like are we looking at 250 feet or 300 feet tall?

From the renderings, you can see where the portion replacing the remainder of the Pavilion is 16 floors, while the Broad Street side increases by 2-3 (on top of current 10).  There is then some overlap along the center.  Based on 16' per floor, this would be 256'.  While the floors may be a bit taller, the parking levels would be shorter.  I really wish height information was better provided on all mid and high-rises rather than having to estimate for so many new construction projects.  Emporis tends to just calculate floors by average usage floor-plate height which is usually underestimated.

image.thumb.png.9b11c009df93f88bc1d725eedf40099c.png

• Like 4

From the renderings, you can see where the portion replacing the remainder of the Pavilion is 16 floors, while the Broad Street side increases by 2-3 (on top of current 10).  There is then some overlap along the center.  Based on 16' per floor, this would be 256'.  While the floors may be a bit taller, the parking levels would be shorter.  I really wish height information was better provided on all mid and high-rises rather than having to estimate for so many new construction projects.  Emporis tends to just calculate floors by average usage floor-plate height which is usually underestimated.

image.thumb.png.9b11c009df93f88bc1d725eedf40099c.png

Thank you so much for the clarification really do appreciate it. Your right emporis doesn’t do the best job at the actual height of mid rises. That clears up all of my confusion on this. The way it’s being constructed just really had confused the heck out of me.

• Like 1

I think my prior estimate may be too low.

The VCU Helipad is listed at 105m and at 36m elevation, putting it at about 226'.  The top roofline is likely at least 15' above that so that makes MCV Main Hospital around 240' among 14 floors.  Accounting for elevation at the building's tallest point, it is about 234'.

Using this and adjusting for elevation changes, I estimate the the height for the following buildings in the area as:

VCU Health Critical Care Hospital                                          :  264' (15 Flrs)
West Hospital                                                                                      :  236' (17 Flrs)
McGlothlin Medical Education Center                                 :  218' (12 Flrs)
Sanger Hall                                                                                             :  200' (13 Flrs)
VCU Health Outpatient Children's Hospital (current):  194' (10 Flrs)

With an additional 6 floors averaging 16' per floor, this adds 96', placing the finished Children's In&OutPatient Hospital around 290'.  I think this better matches up to visual comparisons with City Hall's 318'.

58 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I think my prior estimate may be too low.

The VCU Helipad is listed at 105m and at 36m elevation, putting it at about 226'.  The top roofline is likely at least 15' above that so that makes MCV Main Hospital around 240' among 14 floors.  Accounting for elevation at the building's tallest point, it is about 234'.

Using this and adjusting for elevation changes, I estimate the the height for the following buildings in the area as:

VCU Health Critical Care Hospital                                          :  264' (15 Flrs)
West Hospital                                                                                      :  236' (17 Flrs)
McGlothlin Medical Education Center                                 :  218' (12 Flrs)
Sanger Hall                                                                                             :  200' (13 Flrs)
VCU Health Outpatient Children's Hospital (current):  194' (10 Flrs)

With an additional 6 floors averaging 16' per floor, this adds 96', placing the finished Children's In&OutPatient Hospital around 290'.  I think this better matches up to visual comparisons with City Hall's 318'.

So using this (and adding the height for the roofline) can we extrapolate the new Outpatient hospital (10th and Leigh) to be in the neighborhood of 300-305 feet?

2 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

So using this (and adding the height for the roofline) can we extrapolate the new Outpatient hospital (10th and Leigh) to be in the neighborhood of 300-305 feet?

I believe it is right around that range based on comparisons to the tower crane segments (20' per segment was stated elsewhere if I recall).  The center of mass is at an elevation of 154' in line with Sanger Hall.

Makes sense. If you see skyline shots (especially some elevate drone views) from the west and southwest, the Outpatient hospital does look almost as tall as City Hall (minus the communications mast, obviously). It really stands out on that far north end of the skyline. If the block across 10th street is developed -- the 20-story tower that would be on Leigh between 9th and 10th, depending obviously on floor-plate height, crown, etc., could be in the neighborhood of 325-335 feet, extrapolating using the formula in this thread.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Both of our leading new sources covered the fundraising efforts today for the Children's Inpatient Center project - now being branded 'Wonder Tower'. Also included a nice review of the timelines and what I think are new renderings (at least new to me).

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/18/childrens-hospital-of-richmond-kicks-off-campaign-to-raise-100m-for-expansion/

https://richmond.com/news/local/education/childrens-hospital-trying-to-raise-100-million-to-fund-wonder-tower/article_09842a2c-c6cf-5368-8760-5e4f4d9d4a4e.html

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

In addition to learning to never send a lengthy email around 6pm on a Friday while hangry, didn't know the addition on top of the existing structure has pretty much reached it's full height.  The Bizsense article mentions the number of beds can be expanded from 72 beds to 120 beds.  Will this be within the structure or another addition?  

Can't wait for my supervisor's reaction come Monday morning. 

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shakman said:

In addition to learning to never send a lengthy email around 6pm on a Friday while hangry, didn't know the addition on top of the existing structure has pretty much reached it's full height.  The Bizsense article mentions the number of beds can be expanded from 72 beds to 125 beds.  Will this be within the structure or another addition?  

Can't wait for my supervisor's reaction come Monday morning. 

On the Marshall Street side, they still have a ways to go - notice how the elevator shafts protrude up beyond the steel framing. Definitely sounding like the height of the building will be on Marshall Street - not Broad.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 11:38 PM, I miss RVA said:

On the Marshall Street side, they still have a ways to go - notice how the elevator shafts protrude up beyond the steel framing. Definitely sounding like the height of the building will be on Marshall Street - not Broad.

One can see that in the renderings as well.

Interested to see the exterior lighting features on the facade when complete.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2