VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 4 weeks later...

13 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Oh one more note. Think it’s interesting that, above the concrete parking structure, the steel for the hospital space is cantilevers over the sidewalk. 

That I did not expect as it was not clear in the rendering.  It looks like there will be another obtrusion at 10th and Marshall around the 12th floor.

image.png.5fd9cffe6a663b7b17c75e7e098e06

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Icetera said:

Considering that this is a view from Brook Road with City Hall is in the foreground, it looks like the VCU Children's Hospital elevator shafts has matched, if not surpassed, City Hall's roofline.
20210117_170556.thumb.jpg.3d0fa0f04a9a99e092c3c5fcde32b880.jpg

I remember when City Hall was built - and as photos over the last 50 years have borne out - it pretty much always seemed like it would never be surpassed by anything along that part of Broad Street. Even though it's the Marshall Street side of Children's Hospital that will have the height - it's amazing to see a building in that part of downtown surpass City Hall's primary roofline height. Needless to say - along with the outpatient hospital, VCU certainly has beefed up the northern part of the skyline rather dramatically.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hike said:

Noticed this when researching a project to bid, the location of the request is on a site  that covers all phases of the construction process, from budgets,  out for construction to be built and everything in between.  When poking around, there's an RFP out for A&E services of the VCU art and innovation academic building.  Seems to be looking for an architect to implement the design of the building that is by pelli clarke pelli architects that's the building opposite the ICA at Broad & Belvidere.  No timeline given on construction, not a lot of details on the building either, but it's active and looks to want to contract a firm by 2nd qtr. 2021.  Using a guess time line, probably still another year+ past that before anything to get it together, hopeful it can be sooner.   

https://masterplan.vcu.edu/implementation/planning-phase-projects/arts-and-innovation-academic-building/

https://pcparch.com/

This is new to me. Last I heard I thought we were getting an 11 or 12 story tower here from VCU. 

I guess this was before the One VCU plan though - https://richmond.com/business/vcu-possibly-planning-another-tall-building-at-west-broad-and-belvidere-streets/article_240fcdbf-fedc-56eb-a96d-dd17a30e45e5.html

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, whw53 said:

This is new to me. Last I heard I thought we were getting an 11 or 12 story tower here from VCU. 

I guess this was before the One VCU plan though - https://richmond.com/business/vcu-possibly-planning-another-tall-building-at-west-broad-and-belvidere-streets/article_240fcdbf-fedc-56eb-a96d-dd17a30e45e5.html

I had seen taller as well but that seems to be replaced now with something like 6 stories.  There are some shape diagrams in the RFP along with programming that show it at the 6 floors, those shape diagrams look like what's in the image from the link thru the VCU website.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It’s good to see movement on this in a positive direction!

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The is definitely good news. Can't wait to see all of this really get rolling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 11:25 PM, Brent114 said:

Here it is partially erected (maybe a week or more ago). 

ACC4A639-4DDB-458D-9F4D-1ECD9E156EE4.jpeg

Went downtown Monday, the crane is up, no photo to share, but saw it with the boom.  All types and sizes of cranes dotting the landscape, just want more time to go see them all and check out the progress, hoping spring will allow more time.  Here's Hourigan's facebook video of the crane.  

https://www.facebook.com/HouriganGroup/videos/were-celebrating-another-tower-crane-erection-this-week-at-vcus-stem-building-/267745568314475/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it looks like VCU has finally started on the parking deck at 7th and I95.  A few weeks ago I saw some activity on this lot and suspected that it was just some resurfacing.  Every few days it starts to look like a much bigger project (more equipment on site, higher piles of dirt, a big auger there today..). 

Does anyone know if this is the parking deck finally?  I’ve been waiting for years for this to get built.  It isn’t an exciting building, but it’s it’s a throw away lot and it will be great to see some more vertical structures  on the east side of 95. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, blake_p said:

The webcam shows the tower crane coming down at the new MCV Adult Outpatient Facility.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/vcu/vcuhsadultoutpatientfacility

I wish they'd hurry up and finish the cladding.  It seems like with all the labor involved, it would have been cheaper to go with glass.

I suspect they designed it with expansion in mind, much like the Children's Pavilion had.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

I suspect they designed it with expansion in mind, much like the Children's Pavilion had.

I've thought that as well, given that the south-facing side looks eerilie familiar to what was the north-facing side of the Children's Hospital, pre-expansion.

Speaking of which, consider just how tall the Marshall Street side of the Children's Hospital is going to be, based on the height of the right-most elevator shafts.

VCUHealth.png

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I've thought that as well, given that the south-facing side looks eerilie familiar to what was the north-facing side of the Children's Hospital, pre-expansion.

Speaking of which, consider just how tall the Marshall Street side of the Children's Hospital is going to be, based on the height of the right-most elevator shafts.

VCUHealth.png

It is definitely going to be very close to City Hall's roofline of 318'.

• Like 1