VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of really great renderings. The arts building at Broad and Belvidere - and the 12-story Honors Dorm at the southwest corner of Grace & Laurel. The only fly in the ointment for us - the dorm isn't to get funding until 2024-2026 biennium. So we have to wait.

VCU-Arts1.jpg

VCU-HonorsDorm.jpg

• Like 4

The arts building, (arts and innovation) that part of the project has been out for budget, saw the schematic about 4-5 months ago, so underway. It's a very transparent building,  a clearer glass box with colorful interior showing thru.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hike said:

The arts building, (arts and innovation) that part of the project has been out for budget, saw the schematic about 4-5 months ago, so underway. It's a very transparent building,  a clearer glass box with colorful interior showing thru.

Remind me which is the arts building again?  Is it the one planned for across the street from the ICA?

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Remind me which is the arts building again?  Is it the one planned for across the street from the ICA?

This one. The rendering looks transparent and it seems they are intentionally looking for that aesthetic and not just lines to represent a proposed shape.

VCU-Arts1.thumb.jpg.97af4c5e0eab3df2cf8eb0f7494358db.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Is the 18 floor building at the old gas station a dead idea? I know that was private, not VCU, but was fascinated to see how they’d fit that in there.

That was once a private proposal by “Uppy,” the owner of the gas station (long dead now).  The proposal seemed very odd in that there weren’t many details and the rendering seemed like it was done in Microsoft Paint (low budget).  I think it was a way for Uppy to get VCU interested in buying the property (which they did).  I think the latest VCU 5-year plan shows a building on that property, but I’m unclear on which one it is. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

That was once a private proposal by “Uppy,” the owner of the gas station (long dead now).  The proposal seemed very odd in that there weren’t many details and the rendering seemed like it was done in Microsoft Paint (low budget).  I think it was a way for Uppy to get VCU interested in buying the property (which they did).  I think the latest VCU 5-year plan shows a building on that property, but I’m unclear on which one it is. 

And, if I recall, there was another fairly large project proposed for that area - also 18 stories or so - called "The Belividere" - it was to be a residential/mixed use building I think. We had an entire long-play thread on this forum dedicated to this building that never came to pass.