VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I am really confused on their numbers here considering City Hall is 316' (excluding the 134' antenna).

When it’s finished, the new downtown building for Children’s Hospital of Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth University will rise 260 feet in the city’s sky, or as tall as a stack of 13 giraffes.

Most 16-story buildings aren’t as tall as the Wonder Tower, which needs more space from floor to ceiling because of the equipment that will eventually occupy the building. While City Hall one block over has 19 stories, it’s about the same height.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, Icetera said:

I am really confused on their numbers here considering City Hall is 316' (excluding the 134' antenna).

The core still has two floors above the topped beam so perhaps the 260' is the top of the highest occupied floor but architectural height will be closer to 300':

image.png.c772b22eab455f60147874db148735a9.png

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/21/childrens-hospital-of-richmond-at-vcu-tops-off-400m-new-wing/

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Shakman said:

So this has been topped off?  Look at the core to the left and the steel embeds on the face of the core.  Pay close attention to the upper left.

That is why I am highly confused here.

• Like 2

For the last steel beam to be in place, there certainly are a lot of steel beams still on the roof waiting to be put into place.  Check out the roof images from the webcam here:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/dprvirginia/vcuhnewchildrenshosp

This story just isn't adding up.  There is definitely more to be built here.

• Like 1

Maybe the last of the “steel” has been erected and the rest will be another metal (like aluminum).  The very top of the GA building across the street is a different metal than the office floors below it.   The “floors” may be topped out but the mechanical room and any type of structure  for a crown (for lack of a better word) will still rise above this level (there are two more doors in the elevator shaft above this last floor).   

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, blake_p said:

This site looks like it has fairly accurate renderings and show two floors for mechanical and helipad access: https://www.knizedesigns.com/en/projects/childrens-hospital

Wow!  This link has changed my life!  I have never seen that stupid-looking block that is exposed at the top of this building in any of the renderings before!  It looks out of place and very awkward!  Okay VCU...whatever, but it still looks stupid and explains what we are seeing. It’s definitely topped out!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Wow!  This link has changed my life!  I have never seen that stupid-looking block that is exposed at the top of this building in any of the renderings before!  It looks out of place and very awkward!  Okay VCU...whatever, but it still looks stupid and explains what we are seeing. It’s definitely topped out!

I hadn't noticed that either,  the elevator shaft will be in the yellow box you mention,  I think,  and they bring the patient down into the hospital from the helipad.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hike said:

I think this should be starting soon to, anyone have an update on this development?

2020-04-28-rendering-small.jpg

I was thinking that this one wouldn't start until the very end of this year, at the earliest.  This is not one I'm too excited about either only because I'm afraid that I'm going to be disappointed by the height.  Originally, it was supposed to be 20 stories, but how can it remain at 20 stories when they've taken a big chunk of the office space out of this project?  It'll probably end up being some chunky mirrored box that fall shorter than the VCU outpatient tower it will sit next to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Thanks for this link bc I began browsing the portfolio and found another project - the Center for Adult Critical Care... would be on the site of the MCV Visitor parking garage and connected to the Critical Care Hospital. Says it's a collaboration with HKS Architects. Perhaps this is one of the next major projects in the books for VCU Medical Center?

https://www.knizedesigns.com/en/projects/vcu-adult

I heard this mentioned several years back by someone who mentioned VCU was going to replace the deck.  That's a big footprint of a building and now seems closer to reality.  Wonder if the commercials for Massey Cancer I've been seeing are part of a financial drive for this at some point in the future, driving recognition and at some point a fund drive.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hike said:

I heard this mentioned several years back by someone who mentioned VCU was going to replace the deck.  That's a big footprint of a building and now seems closer to reality.  Wonder if the commercials for Massey Cancer I've been seeing are part of a financial drive for this at some point in the future, driving recognition and at some point a fund drive.

Like Hike, I’ve also heard of this one before (by someone this board).  I think it’s interesting that it says that it is the Center for Adult Critical Care when in the rendering it has the word “Children’s” at the top.  Anyway, I know that it is, or has been, in work for quite some time.   Love how massive it is. This will change the whole look of that side of downtown!  Now to find out when it will break ground.  Was this somewhere in the VCU Olán for the next 6 years?  I don’t remember seeing it. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Like Hike, I’ve also heard of this one before (by someone this board).  I think it’s interesting that it says that it is the Center for Adult Critical Care when in the rendering it has the word “Children’s” at the top.  Anyway, I know that it is, or has been, in work for quite some time.   Love how massive it is. This will change the whole looks of that side of downtown!  Now to find out when it will break ground.  Was this somewhere in the VCU Olán for the next 6 years?  I don’t remember seeing it. 

It wasn't mentioned so that may tell us it's not happening that fast or it could come out as a seperate special project, if there is such a thing.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hike said:

It wasn't mentioned so that may tell us it's not happening that fast or it could come out as a seperate special project, if there is such a thing.

It was in VCU's overall master plan from either 2019 or 2020. Not sure if they've changed the timing of funding for this project, given what they've spent to build the new outpatient hospital and to expand the children's hospital. But this building and its location matches up completely with what is slated as "new construction" in the most recent physical master plan I saw for the school (saw it within the last year).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

It was in VCU's overall master plan from either 2019 or 2020. Not sure if they've changed the timing of funding for this project, given what they've spent to build the new outpatient hospital and to expand the children's hospital. But this building and its location matches up completely with what is slated as "new construction" in the most recent physical master plan I saw for the school (saw it within the last year).

The latest budget from earlier this week doesn't mention it was my reference.

6 year capital plan 1.2 Billion in projects

VCU Monroe Park Campus

Arts & innovation - across from the ICA

Interdisciplinary Academic & Lab

Student Commons - replaces existing

Honors Dorm - Grace St. near the ICA

VCU Health 

School of Dentistry

Interdisciplinary Health Sciences 

Library & Innovation Center 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/17/vcu-approves-1-5b-budget-for-2021-22-maps-out-1-2b-in-capital-projects/

Edited by Hike

1 hour ago, Hike said:

The latest budget from earlier this week doesn't mention it was my reference.

6 year capital plan 1.2 Billion in projects

VCU Monroe Park Campus

Arts & innovation - across from the ICA

Interdisciplinary Academic & Lab

Student Commons - replaces existing

Honors Dorm - Grace St. near the ICA

VCU Health 

School of Dentistry

Interdisciplinary Health Sciences 

Library & Innovation Center 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/17/vcu-approves-1-5b-budget-for-2021-22-maps-out-1-2b-in-capital-projects/

I'll have to go back and find it (I think I downloaded a PDF copy of it) - but it's possible that the overall Master Plan goes beyond the school's six-year budget cycle. So they may show planned construction that -- at this point - is not yet funded and for which there is not an immediate plan to fund. Yet - it's part of the overall development/construction component of the master plan.

• Like 3