VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

I wonder when renovation of the Belting Building will begin for the new VCU Adcenter?

Wow! I had no idea something was going to be done with that building. I was hoping things were going to start happening in that neglected strip between Cary and Canal and it looks like VCU already has that covered. I also heard that the surface lot at the corner of Cary and Belvidere will be turned into a parking deck. Infill, infill, infill :thumbsup:

P.S. Is the Belting Building shown in the above rendering? Also, those buildings configured in a triangle at the corner of Cary and Belvidere are going to be a parking deck?? I should have looked more closely at the picture before ;)

Edited by ric75

Wow! I had no idea something was going to be done with that building. I was hoping things were going to start happening in that neglected strip between Cary and Canal and it looks like VCU already has that covered. I also heard that the surface lot at the corner of Cary and Belvidere will be turned into a parking deck. Infill, infill, infill :thumbsup:

P.S. Is the Belting Building shown in the above rendering? Also, those buildings configured in a triangle at the corner of Cary and Belvidere are going to be a parking deck?? I should have looked more closely at the picture before ;)

Yeah the infill on these lots is fantastic... The surface lot east of Belvidere and south of Cary will become a parking deck... apparently the onramp to the downtown expressway will become an entrance to the deck. :thumbsup:

Yeah the infill on these lots is fantastic... The surface lot east of Belvidere and south of Cary will become a parking deck... apparently the onramp to the downtown expressway will become an entrance to the deck. :thumbsup:

If anyone can receive pictures via cell phone and can dl them to their computer, PM me your number so you can post them. Took a few today on site but have no idea how to get them here. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would demolish that recent Solomonski horor at the s/w corner of Cary and Belvidere and replace it with an attractive parking deck perhaps with apartments above.

Are you all saying that the nice looking buildings in the rendering are to replaced with a carpark? What was to have gone in those buildings in the rendering on the east side of Belvidere between Cary and Canal?

And ric75, the Belting Building (Ad Center) is highlighted at the east end of the campus between Cary and Canal.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

VCU's MCV campus will be experiencing explosive growth through the end of the decade....

Rendering of the new School of Medicine, which would be built on the site of the West Hospital and AD Williams Clinic...It will be 500,000 sf at 12-14 stories at a cost of $120 million

medscibuilding.jpg

$240 million, 9+ story, Children's Hospital Complex:

childhosp.jpg

Rendering of the new Medical Sciences Building II

$56.7 million, 127,000sf, 9 stories:

MedSci2.jpg

Rendering of the new 15-story Critical Care tower

$192 million, 367,000sf tower

critcaretower.jpg

new $8.1 million, 25,000sf rec center on the MCV campus

reccenter.jpg

From the Times-dispatch... Click here for all the details:

Multimedia of VCU and Biotech expansions

Edited by wrldcoupe4

VCU's MCV campus will be experiencing explosive growth through the end of the decade....

Rendering of the new School of Medicine, which would be built on the site of the West Hospital and AD Williams Clinic...It will be 500,000 sf at 12-14 stories at a cost of $120 million

medscibuilding.jpg

childhosp.jpg

MedSci2.jpg

critcaretower.jpg

reccenter.jpg

I've already kept that section of the paper. The designs are neat but... save the West Hospital and AD Williams Clinic... oh and the old nursing school building.

My comments:

#1. Most of us will miss old West Hospital with its art deco design, but if a new, more modern facility will advance Richmond's Medical prestige, I'm all for it. Besides, I think the rendering is very attractive, except for its flat roof. But maybe it will support a helipad.

#2. It's a pity the new Children's Hospial will not front Broad street rather than Marshall.

#3. The new Medical Science Building II on the site of the old Nursing School and dorm (north side of Broad between 12th and College streets) looks neat.

#4. Everytime I look at a rendering of the new Critical Care Tower (some call it Bed Hospital), I get disoriented. Where will be the entrance?

#5. And where on the campus will the new Rec Center be located?

Edited by burt

I could be mistaken but I think they're going to tear down the old Civil War Centennial Center... I dunno its name today (and if I could find the pic I took of it after the nice VCU policeman told me not to take any more pics, I'd have the name...)

• 1 month later...

Thought it was worth noting...upon the completion of the new Critical Care tower, VCU Medical Center will have over 1000 total beds.

This is a somewhat irrevalent observation, but VCU Medical operates a facility to house family visitors looking after long term care patients in its hospitals. They (I guess VCU) bought and remodeled the old Marketplace Hotel on the n/w corner of 7th and Marshall for that purpose. I think it has in excess of 150 rooms/suites.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, the VCU board gave its approval to complete the eleven acre new Monroe Park Addition campus. The $228million project will provide 400 beds in new dorms in the area bounded by Cary/Canal/Jefferson and Belvidere streets. A 685-space parking deck will be constructed, though the story does not indicate where it will be on the campus. The Adcenter will be in the reconditioned old livery stable and a new structure containing 27,770 s/f at 103 South Jefferson.

Everything should be on line by 2008.

I looks great! Going through VCU last night just about made me cry. Look at the life there. Look at youth! Everytime I go through there it reminds me of how I used to be... those old fun days.

Well, see if you can't regain some of that old enthusiasm for life and start looking on the positive side of things. ;)

medscibuilding.jpg

childhosp.jpg

MedSci2.jpg

critcaretower.jpg

reccenter.jpg

Yeah, here's some renderings of the new VCU Medical Center Projects I posted a while back.

Wow - I had never seen this rendering of the Medical Sciences II... It looks more appeasing than its counter part.

According to a GC personel at the Critical Care Tower, the tower crane is to be bumbed up another 150 feet in about 3-weeks.

Edited by Shakman