VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

The Western tower crane on top of the Children's Hospital came down this weekend.  This balances the new one in Manchester (which is surprisingly very visible from I-95/64 when traveling East into the city) returning us to six active tower cranes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

The Western tower crane on top of the Children's Hospital came down this weekend.  This balances the new one in Manchester (which is surprisingly very visible from I-95/64 when traveling East into the city) returning us to six active tower cranes.

I didn't realize we have six active tower cranes. Where are they located?  I can account for four of them.

1 Children's hospital (east crane)

2. G.A. building parking deck (9th and Broad)

3. The Opus (Lombardy & Broad)

4. The Tidewater (Manchester)

Where are the other two?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

I didn't realize we have six active tower cranes. Where are they located?  I can account for four of them.

1 Children's hospital (east crane)

2. G.A. building parking deck (9th and Broad)

3. The Opus (Lombardy & Broad)

4. The Tidewater (Manchester)

Where are the other two?

5. VCU STEM building
6.  The OTUS (Scotts Addition)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

5. VCU STEM building
6.  The OTUS (Scotts Addition)

Thank you, kind sir! For some reason, I always forget the STEM building. I'm curious how there is a tower crane for the Otis - (even though it's not that tall, is it because it will take up the entire city block?) - yet not one for the 12-story building on Marshall.

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Thank you, kind sir! For some reason, I always forget the STEM building. I'm curious how there is a tower crane for the Otis - (even though it's not that tall, is it because it will take up the entire city block?) - yet not one for the 12-story building on Marshall.

Seems they have no need with the prefabs such as the much larger South Canal tower (14 floors).  Tidewater, The Penny,  The Summit, and 5252 Main have all used them despite being only 5-7 floors but they were not prefab.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Speaking of, the 12 story on Marshall has topped out. 

Also lots of the mini cranes around which looks good. 

Great! Wondering if anyone might happen to be in the neighborhood (or close enough to see it) and snap a picture or two? Looks like the view from the Capital Square construction cam view that showed it rising has been obscured by the actual construction for which the camera was set up.

It was interesting looking at the time-lapse videos of the various Capital Square construction cam views - to see all of these projects rising simultaneously is QUITE impressive! The four different projects for which the cams were set up - AND to see the 12-story building rising in the distance - wow ... FIVE projects all going up within a few blocks of each other at the same time. Perhaps we will see this repeated in Manchester in the coming year!

Great shots, Brent!  Wow - W. Broad Street looks SOOO different nowadays, especially with The Ella fronting the street. Wow - it took me a second to realize this wasn't farther east on Broad because the Ella brings much more of the Broad Street feel down farther toward downtown than there used to be. And the new 12-story building really stands out from that distance. The visual combo of the 12-story building, the Seaboard Building and The Ella is quite striking (plus is that The Summit off in the distance kinda sticking out on the left side of Broad?) The urban streetscape of W. Broad has indeed changed!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:54 PM, rjp212 said:

VCU plans to build a new, 6-story, $42 million computer and data center on Broad Street

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Great

Really wish we could get some news on Belvidere and Leigh. Entire block of open land owned by VCU. Really great potential. We may be waiting decades as even the Richmond 300 doesn't mention it.

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:54 PM, rjp212 said:

VCU plans to build a new, 6-story, $42 million computer and data center on Broad Street

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Anyone remember there were plans at one time for a 13-story building on that corner? Was that just a red herring like The Belvidere was? Or were those legit plans that somehow got derailed?

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Great

Really wish we could get some news on Belvidere and Leigh. Entire block of open land owned by VCU. Really great potential. We may be waiting decades as even the Richmond 300 doesn't mention it.

The article mentions a project for that block is to begin next year. I know we'eve seen a rendering somewhere, but no itis not that 13 story originally proposed. Note that Richmond 300 dosn't really intersect with VCU master plan at such a site specific level. VCU campus development is guided by the One VCU master plan.

VCU plans to consolidate its arts facilities along North Belvidere Street. Earlier this year, it announced plans for a $181 million arts and innovation building to go up at the southeast corner of West Broad and North Belvidere Streets. The new building will have hybrid classroom-labs, performance space and “creative incubators.” Construction could start between 2022 and 2024.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Anyone remember there were plans at one time for a 13-story building on that corner? Was that just a red herring like The Belvidere was? Or were those legit plans that somehow got derailed?

The building in question is actually a block West from where you are thinking.  This likely includes razing Sara(h?) Lee's.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

I am looking at the crane sitting above the Children’s Hospital and wondering how much longer before it comes down. Sure wish the building was a tall as the crane but it is a very nice building.  Right now I have a four crane view.

A6B74D16-2E05-4E19-8198-C93B660E1C2B.jpeg

4C298A1C-D206-409D-94A3-4F1446A2F797.jpeg

Right now, you've got the best seat in the house, my friend!

Just curious to know if any more of the Opus (the actual building) is visable now from your office than it was a couple of weeks ago. That building seems to be rising pretty quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

The building in question is actually a block West from where you are thinking.  This likely includes razing Sara(h?) Lee's.

My bad - got the two projects mixed up - I was thinking the Arts and Innovation building. That's the one at Broad and Belvidere where -- at one time -- there were plans for a 13-story building.

Whatever happened to that project? 

2 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

There is an ever so slight change that is noticeable from this vantage point

64425AF9-C10D-4F82-9189-05614E9B1B33.jpeg

Thanks so much for taking the picture and posting! Just amazing to see all of this. The Opus really is becoming prominent from this view. You're in the east tower of the Riverfront Plaza, yes? I did an as-the-crow-flies measurement on Google Maps and it's impressive that it stands out like this (above other structures) from just under 1.7 miles away from your position (1.68 according to Google Maps). 

From this vantage point, you would get a very clear view of the new 12-story VCU residential tower planned for Laurel and Grace. It's in the current VCU master plan but I don't believe it has been funded/budgeted just yet, so that construction might be a year or two away. I believe it's supposed to be about the same size (more or less) as the 12-story building at Laurel & Main at Monroe Park.

It's too bad the west tower of Riverfront Plaza blocks the entire view, but I'm curious if (whenever this project gets underway) if you'd be able to see the top & boom of the crane that no doubt will be used to build the 15-story apartment building behind the Berkshire in the northern part of Monroe Ward?

Wow - all of this is just so exciting to see. I can't wait for that building to get underway - as well as the one at 2nd and Marshall... 17th and Franklin... the bigger ones in Manchester (River's Edge II in particular) ... not to mention whatever will be built once the Public Safety building is cleared away and that whole project gets started. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2