The Western tower crane on top of the Children's Hospital came down this weekend.  This balances the new one in Manchester (which is surprisingly very visible from I-95/64 when traveling East into the city) returning us to six active tower cranes.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some pictures from the ground level of the VCU Outpatient building and the Children's hospital.    

After scrolling through the master plan, I noticed a few MAJOR projects:  I noticed a performing arts center across the street from the ICA (not super tall but a very attractive rendering of a signifi

The STEM building is quite large.  It has a big presence around Monroe Park.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

The Western tower crane on top of the Children's Hospital came down this weekend.  This balances the new one in Manchester (which is surprisingly very visible from I-95/64 when traveling East into the city) returning us to six active tower cranes.

I didn't realize we have six active tower cranes. Where are they located?  I can account for four of them.

1 Children's hospital (east crane)

2. G.A. building parking deck (9th and Broad)

3. The Opus (Lombardy & Broad)

4. The Tidewater (Manchester)

Where are the other two?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

I didn't realize we have six active tower cranes. Where are they located?  I can account for four of them.

1 Children's hospital (east crane)

2. G.A. building parking deck (9th and Broad)

3. The Opus (Lombardy & Broad)

4. The Tidewater (Manchester)

Where are the other two?

5. VCU STEM building
6.  The OTUS (Scotts Addition)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Icetera said:

5. VCU STEM building
6.  The OTUS (Scotts Addition)

Thank you, kind sir! For some reason, I always forget the STEM building. I'm curious how there is a tower crane for the Otis - (even though it's not that tall, is it because it will take up the entire city block?) - yet not one for the 12-story building on Marshall.

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Thank you, kind sir! For some reason, I always forget the STEM building. I'm curious how there is a tower crane for the Otis - (even though it's not that tall, is it because it will take up the entire city block?) - yet not one for the 12-story building on Marshall.

Seems they have no need with the prefabs such as the much larger South Canal tower (14 floors).  Tidewater, The Penny,  The Summit, and 5252 Main have all used them despite being only 5-7 floors but they were not prefab.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Speaking of, the 12 story on Marshall has topped out. 

Also lots of the mini cranes around which looks good. 

Great! Wondering if anyone might happen to be in the neighborhood (or close enough to see it) and snap a picture or two? Looks like the view from the Capital Square construction cam view that showed it rising has been obscured by the actual construction for which the camera was set up.

It was interesting looking at the time-lapse videos of the various Capital Square construction cam views - to see all of these projects rising simultaneously is QUITE impressive! The four different projects for which the cams were set up - AND to see the 12-story building rising in the distance - wow ... FIVE projects all going up within a few blocks of each other at the same time. Perhaps we will see this repeated in Manchester in the coming year!

Great shots, Brent!  Wow - W. Broad Street looks SOOO different nowadays, especially with The Ella fronting the street. Wow - it took me a second to realize this wasn't farther east on Broad because the Ella brings much more of the Broad Street feel down farther toward downtown than there used to be. And the new 12-story building really stands out from that distance. The visual combo of the 12-story building, the Seaboard Building and The Ella is quite striking (plus is that The Summit off in the distance kinda sticking out on the left side of Broad?) The urban streetscape of W. Broad has indeed changed!

• Like 2