VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

On 4/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, wrldcoupe4 said:

Impossible and maybe unpopular thought. VCU swap part of the land next to Diamond District for City Stadium with the Kickers. Kickers build a new stadium near the new baseball stadium and we have a mini version of the setup in DC. Rest of the land is an extension of the Diamond District. VCU scrapes city stadium (total dump) and repurposes it for their athletic village. 

I would love for Kickers to redevelop the existing City Stadium. That is such a great spot for them... I can understand the move though if that became an option to them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Always a tad concerning to see articles like this one. I'll be curious to know IF this will impact VCU's construction plans for the next 2 to 3 years - and if so, how. Not sure if state funding for new constructiona and facility renovations is handled under a capital budget vs an operating budget by the school. 

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/education/budget-cuts-are-likely-coming-to-vcu-this-summer/article_35b9c6d5-b6ac-51a1-94c7-99e39ca61094.html#tracking-source=in-article-popular

18 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Always a tad concerning to see articles like this one. I'll be curious to know IF this will impact VCU's construction plans for the next 2 to 3 years - and if so, how. Not sure if state funding for new constructiona and facility renovations is handled under a capital budget vs an operating budget by the school. 

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/education/budget-cuts-are-likely-coming-to-vcu-this-summer/article_35b9c6d5-b6ac-51a1-94c7-99e39ca61094.html#tracking-source=in-article-popular

Wonder if this has any connection to why VCU hasn't closed on the state ABC headquarters off Hermitage  for their athletics village. The talk last year was that they were waiting on ABC to vacate after Christmas, which I think has happened.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Urbs42 said:

Wonder if this has any connection to why VCU hasn't closed on the state ABC headquarters off Hermitage  for their athletics village. The talk last year was that they were waiting on ABC to vacate after Christmas, which I think has happened.  

Don't tease me - I hope so!

55 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Don't tease me - I hope so!

If I'm reading the tea leaves in your tea cup - are you saying that if VCU DOES NOT purchase the former ABC site - then it becomes available for purchase by any/all developers - and perhaps we could get a heavy hitter in here from out of state to build something big, bold, dense, epic?

Something like that?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

If I'm reading the tea leaves in your tea cup - are you saying that if VCU DOES NOT purchase the former ABC site - then it becomes available for purchase by any/all developers - and perhaps we could get a heavy hitter in here from out of state to build something big, bold, dense, epic?

Something like that?

You got me. Not the biggest fan of partially used practice space eating up a footprint of equal size to the Diamond District RFP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

You got me. Not the biggest fan of partially used practice space eating up a footprint of equal size to the Diamond District RFP.

Oh same here. I've never been a fan of VCU plopping their athletic village there. There are far better and higher uses for that part of town, particularly a segment of the city as large as that one is.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Looks like VCU will get the funding from the state to build the VCU Arts and Innovation Building (the fancy shiny silver one across from the Institute of Contemporary Art).  No construction timeline set just yet, but will take 2-3 years to build.

619d5349c13e2.image.jpg?resize=667,500

https://richmond.com/news/local/education/assembly-backs-181-million-vcu-arts-and-innovation-building-on-broad-street/article_1a60ff35-9078-54ff-95b2-a577d3a338a5.html?utm_source=richmond.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=8af7d0eaf5bba42026bcbde39a6bd3b57d9ca904

Belvidere and Broad - where VCU called out to a pair of spaceships to land! :tw_thumbsup::tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

The old Sally Belle location is being demolished today.  I suspect it will be a parking lot for a while but hopefully it signals movement on the new dorm that is slated to replace it.  

Perhaps they demo’d it early so that they can have a place to store construction equipment while building the new (office?) building across the alley on Broad? 

And oh yeah, I see that the old Noddle and Company has a new tenant….and it’s Noodle and Company (there back!) .  A “now hiring” sign is on the building (the old Biograph). 

If it's the honors dorm at Laurel and Grace, I'd be surprised if they're moving on construction early. I believe this is set to be funded in the 2024-26 biennium, but I could be wrong on that. The school, the state, or both may have moved it up to the 2022-24 cycle.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

If it's the honors dorm at Laurel and Grace, I'd be surprised if they're moving on construction early. I believe this is set to be funded in the 2024-26 biennium, but I could be wrong on that. The school, the state, or both may have moved it up to the 2022-24 cycle.

I have it listed as aiming for completion in 2026 so that checks out.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting this dorm any time soon (there’s no reason to think that the much larger building on the corner is being demolished any time soon).  I did get excited thinking that they may be clearing the lot now so that it can be used for the new (7?) story building on Broad that backs up to this site. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting this dorm any time soon (there’s no reason to think that the much larger building on the corner is being demolished any time soon).  I did get excited thinking that they may be clearing the lot now so that it can be used for the new (7?) story building on Broad that backs up to this site. 

That's the new tech/data center, yes? Is it actually going to be 7-stories?

• 3 weeks later...

And like I said, the demolition is probably tied to the impending construction of the IT building across the alley on Broad , which is slated to start this August.  You gotta have some place to park your equipment and construction trailer :)   

The  August start date is mentioned in the linked article. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Brent114 said:

That building goes in this space…

F05090C7-AB5C-4AB1-9A25-472B10EDCC53.jpeg

This looks like an updated rendering and seems to include the corner building, which I was unaware.  Thought it was just the skinny building but looks to be nested by a pretty standard VCU non-descript building or parking deck design by the Siegel center.  Does this corner building exist already?

VCU Technology Ops.jpg

• Thanks 3