VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

The parking deck is across Canal Street from One James Center. The condo proposal is for the RMA Garage in Downtown. (burt - I told you about this.)

I think that garage is on land owned by James Center, Shak. And they talked about a condo and/or apartments on that plot as well as on a plot just across 10th street that is now vacant from the day James Center started rising.

By the way, that particular garage extending half-way across the RMA expressway was supposed to be a hanging garden of greenery. I've never seen any significant planting there.

If I'm not mistaken, the land it sits on isn't owned by James Center, it's owned by the RMA.

They do own the parcel of land across 10th though, which is a possibility for a new 20+ tower according to their possible expansion plans.

That is correct. The Downtown garage is owned by RMA. Whatever is built on top will not be a part of the James Center. Unless JEMB (majority owner of James Center) leases the air rights above the garage from RMA.

Edited by Shakman

• 1 month later...

Scaffolding has been erected around the new advertising building east of Belvidere in the heart of VCU's new business school campus.

That would be the old Belting Building on South Jefferson Street undergoing conversion to the Advertising School of VCU. Did you notice whether or not land across Jefferson from The Ad Center is being cleared for a parking garage?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Damn!!! Now that I've moved it here it won't "connect".

Or am I doing something wrong?

Working fine for me Burt. It's amazing how much progress they are making on the new VCU campus. They just cleared some trees along Belvidere between Cary & Canal and it really opens things up.

• 2 weeks later...

So... VCU isn't planning on demolishing any more Oregon Hill homes are they?

No. They gave up invading Oregon Hill several years ago, thanks to people like Scottb, and decided to advance northward to and beyond Broad Street.

Some may consider Cary Street an infringement on Oregon Hill, but except for a new parking deck, some ugly new privately built apartment buildings and upcoming improvements to the old City Auditorium (now a sports facility) I'm not aware of any major encroachment. Oregon Hill between the Downtown Expressway and the James River is safe from VCU, though some of its more artistic students are finding private housing in the area. :)

It's such a unique neighborhood that it'd be incredibly depressing to see it lose more than it already has. I remember seeing a frat house or two when I passed through a few weeks ago.

I'm fairly interested in Oregon Hill real estate particularly because a good friend of mine and I may try and invest in a house there that belonged to his great grandparents. That and one of my favorite restaurants lives there.... heh.

It's such a unique neighborhood that it'd be incredibly depressing to see it lose more than it already has. I remember seeing a frat house or two when I passed through a few weeks ago.

I'm fairly interested in Oregon Hill real estate particularly because a good friend of mine and I may try and invest in a house there that belonged to his great grandparents. That and one of my favorite restaurants lives there.... heh.

...and when you mention a favorite restaurant on the hill, we know you are not referring to Hollywood Grill. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When VCU enrollment reached 30,381 recently, it became the largest university in the state. 2000 new students are anticipated with next year's opening of the new Business and Engineering schools, and it is expected to top out at 35,000 in the near future. Read today's Times Dispatch story below:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

Edited by burt

This seriously scares me. The school already has ridiculous class sizes and a terrible professor to student ratio.

I agree however, it would be nice that the largest university in the state have a football team! I can't wait til Trani leaves so that a football team can get started (he's against a football team you know - it's a bummer if you ask me).

Edited by eandslee

I agree however, it would be nice that the largest university in the state have a football team! I can't wait til Trani leaves so that a football team can get started (he against a football team you know - it's a bummer if you ask me).

If it were not for Trani, VCU would be a mediocre little college instead of the fine liberal arts, engineering and medical university it is. He transformed the University and spurred development in the city.