Bike Lanes in downtown Greenville

JCT

Many of you have probably seen the new bike lanes on Townes/ Richardson/ River street. These lanes, a first for downtown Greenville, connect the N. Main neighborhoods with the West End. This Saturday, May 7th, will be the official inauguration of the new bike lanes. Festivities start at 9:30 with a speech and ribbon cutting by the Mayor at 11am.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bike lanes are a great addition to downtown and add even more "quality of life". I think it's worth noting that the level of detail in downtown Greenville as regards "quality of life" issues is on par with the best. Besides bike lanes, some other quality of life items that sometimes get overlooked:

All new parking decks have a row of spaces with plugs for electric and hybrid vehicles.

The plaques with famous, thoughtful quotations embedded in the sidewalks along Poinsett Plaza, The Westin, City Hall.

The city supplied "pooper scooper" bag locations.

The hidden mice (has anyone every found them all?)

The downtown signage system on sidewalks with maps of downtowns, directional signs to all restaurants, etc.

More?

Those are good points. :thumbsup:

I think the signage is good, but I have an idea that would make them much better. I'm working with others to try and make downtown's visitor-accessability on par with the best. If anyone is willing to throw your ideas out to us, we'd be greatly appreciative! :)

I've not noticed the bike lanes; however, I have noticed numbered bike route signs around town since I've been here. I'd love to find a map (.pdf, preferably) online of the bike routes. Does anybody know where I could locate such a map??

Perhaps this would be something good for the City of Greenville to add to their site at http://www.greatergreenville.com/.

Another idea - which I just mentioned in another post on another forum topic:

Does anybody know if there is any organized effort to turn abandoned rail lines in and about Greenville into trails? See http://www.railtrails.org for more information on the movement.

If so, I'd love to get involved in this myself. Please send me the details if anyone knows of an organized movement that I could join.

My thinking is that, to improve both access and accessability for county residents (as well as to provide an additional draw for visitors), it would help to provide bikers/joggers/runners/walkers/bladers with safer access into Downtown Greenville from Travelers Rest, Easley, Mauldin, Simpsonville, etc. (and Vice Versa).

Yes there is a movement to turn rails lines to trails. Mainly the Traveler's Rest to Greenville line. I think it is a good use of the land for the time being, but I think it would be very stupid to do anything that would prvent the future use of these right of ways from being used for light rail.

I mean isn't that the real reason the city bought them?

I say leave the tracks, and put the trails beside them.

A map of all the bike routes in Greenville county is not currently available, but is in the works and will be available online at some point.

As Brad Toy mentioned, there are currently rails to trails efforts going on in Greenville county. There was a presentation on the subject at Furman a few months ago. Contact the Greenville Spinners (greenvillespinners.org) to get involved, or better yet, show up at the Bike Lane event this Saturday at Richardson St and W. North.

I'd have to agree that it would be a perfectly acceptable compromise (to me at least) to have both light rail and a pedestrian/bike trail share the right of way, as long as there is enough room in the right of way for both the light rail line and a pedestrian/bike trail.

The T.R. - Greenville line would be the one that would interest me the most (for selfish reasons, of course).

Although I love the idea, I just can't imagine a Light Rail line here yet. Heck, I lived in Orlando, Florida for many years (a place that would GREATLY benefit from light rail). The City of Orlando and Orange County had secured Federal Funding for light rail and had everything in place, but made one mistake - they put it up for a popular vote during an election and didn't properly explain it to everyone in the community. Nobody there really wanted it (which is sad).

If anyone has the information, I'm still interested...any idea who's involved in the Rails-To-Trails movement for Greenville? Know of anyone I could contact?

http://www.greenvilleplanning.com/transpor...ke%20Routes.pdf

The above link is a pdf of the bike trails in Downtown Greenville. I'm not sure how up to date the guides are, but I've riden a couple of the historic tours and its a really neat way to see the older homes and a great way to learn your way around. The signage marking the routes are less than perfect so I would definately take one of the maps along. Hope this helps.

Thanks wetnoodle.

I forgot about those recommended routes on the Greenville County Planning Commision website when I posted earlier. Most of those routes will be included in the new countywide map.

This is separate from the bike lanes downtown, but I just got this email. This will be a great opportunity to (legally) explore the ICAR campus.

ATTENTION: Cyclists, runners, walkers, rollerbladers

Bring your gear! Following a brief dedication ceremony, Mayor White

will invite you to be the first to enjoy the recreational benefits of

the new roadways of the ICAR campus.

The City of Greenville cordially invites you to attend the

dedication ceremony of

Millennium Boulevard & Innovation Drive

at the ICAR and Millennium Campuses

City of Greenville

Friday, May 13, 2005 3:30 p.m. Rain (deluge) date - May 18

Main entrance to ICAR, Laurens Road, Greenville, SC

Directions: First traffic light after crossing over I-85 on Laurens

Road

Watch for electronic signs and police officers to guide you into the

ICAR Campus

The project includes the four-lane Millennium Boulevard and the two-lane

Innovation Drive and incorporates many design features, including a

roundabout, serpentine alignment, arched bridges with stone veneer, and

extensive landscaping. Bike lanes were also incorporated into the design

and one of the arched bridges was built to accommodate future pedestrian

trails along Laurel Creek.

Definitely will be there for the ICAR event. I've been driving through following progress (it's posted to keep out, oh well), ICAR is really going to be a quality development. Will be a great place to bike, jog, walk, etc.

Posted this in the "Upstate Events" thread as well; however, this seems like another appropriate thread for this posting, so, here goes...

Bike Town Festival, May 14th through 21st

Here's a nice article (with the exception of the poor grammar right up front) from the Greenville News:

Spartanburg Festival Makes it a Grand Week for Cycling

Here's a link to more information on Bike Town:

http://www.biketownspartanburg.org/

just curious. . . did any of you attend the event, it was great to see such a large group of cyclist there and in support for something that hopefully will grow over the next months.

Hi ktw,

I was there and was really pleased with the great turnout. It was really good to see over 150 people show up to show support for the new bike lanes. The event has received some pretty good press too. Did anyone else make it downtown Saturday morning?

I did not make it to the Bike-Lane ceremony, but definitely hope to see them used frequently. I don't think that will be a serious problem though because people around Greenville are eager to get outside.

There was an article in Upstate Link more than a week ago about the bike lanes. It includes statements from a co-organizer about definite plans for major future additions to the network of bike-lanes in DT Gville. :thumbsup:

A Must Read! 'Greenville cyclists continue push for more bike lanes'

• 3 months later...

I am glad to see so much discussion on the forum regarding the Hincapie parade on Friday. The event really was a great success. While on the subject of cycling, I want this revive this thread about the existing and proposed bike lanes downtown.

Since everyone on the list has an interest in Greenville, and a few of you are also interested in cycling, I would like to hear your thoughts regarding the availability of bicycle parking in our downtown. Does anyone know of specific locations that are lacking secure parking? Does anyone have any personal experience that they are willing to share, good or bad, riding a bike to destinations downtown?

Feel free to send me a private message if any of you are interested in contributing to this effort by sharing your opinion. Thanks.

Archived