Bike Lanes in downtown Greenville

JCT

I am glad to see so much discussion on the forum regarding the Hincapie parade on Friday. The event really was a great success. While on the subject of cycling, I want this revive this thread about the existing and proposed bike lanes downtown.

Since everyone on the list has an interest in Greenville, and a few of you are also interested in cycling, I would like to hear your thoughts regarding the availability of bicycle parking in our downtown. Does anyone know of specific locations that are lacking secure parking? Does anyone have any personal experience that they are willing to share, good or bad, riding a bike to destinations downtown?

Feel free to send me a private message if any of you are interested in contributing to this effort by sharing your opinion. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JCT,

I've never ridden into town, so I really can't answer the question, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad to see so much discussion on the forum regarding the Hincapie parade on Friday. The event really was a great success. While on the subject of cycling, I want this revive this thread about the existing and proposed bike lanes downtown.

Since everyone on the list has an interest in Greenville, and a few of you are also interested in cycling, I would like to hear your thoughts regarding the availability of bicycle parking in our downtown. Does anyone know of specific locations that are lacking secure parking? Does anyone have any personal experience that they are willing to share, good or bad, riding a bike to destinations downtown?

Feel free to send me a private message if any of you are interested in contributing to this effort by sharing your opinion. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenville is set up pretty good for downtown biking. The bike lanes have been a great addition, but even the streets without lanes are easy to navigate....drivers are OK sharing the road for the most part. My one complaint....on Sundays, forget about using the bikes lanes during church hours.....the bikes lanes suddenly become on-street parking for the church attendees. Doesn't seem quite fair.

Greenville is set up pretty good for downtown biking.  The bike lanes have been a great addition, but even the streets without lanes are easy to navigate....drivers are OK sharing the road for the most part.  My one complaint....on Sundays, forget about using the bikes lanes during church hours.....the bikes lanes suddenly become on-street parking for the church attendees.  Doesn't seem quite fair.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But... People aren't on the roads, the streets aren't busy, so they can bike in the street around the cars. Who's going to be using them on a Sunday morning??? I think they can go around.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on WYFF-4. A tribute to Jeanne Menard will be held tomorrow (Saturday). Cyclists will meet at Piazza Bergamo at 4:30pm and ride, in silence, to the scene of the accident that took Jeanne's life on Monday, and then on to her home on North Main Street.

For more information, visit http://www.greenvillespinners.org/

• 5 weeks later...

For twenty years now, the US national road championships has been held on the final weekend of June in the city of Philadelphia. In a move that surprised many, USA Cycling last week announced that has changed for 2006. A National Road and Time Trial Championship will now be held in Greenville, South Carolina on the 31st August for the Time Trial and 2nd September for the Road Race.

That's AWESOME for Greenville, but I feel bad for Philly.

Way to go Greenville!

• 1 month later...

Although not in downtown, I just noticed today that the Cherokee Foothills Highway (SC 11) has bike lanes for miles.....Table Rock to Devils Fork. Great scenic area to ride. Another cycling option around Greenville. These lanes have probably always been there, I just never noticed.

Bike lanes are making their way into the Woodruff Road area sprawl. Just noticed tonight the recently four laned road between Woodruff and Butler, behind Brookfield Corporate Park (it may be called Holland Road, not sure) now has bike lanes on both sides. Nice to see, though not sure I'd ride my bike anywhere near Woodruff. ;)

Was talking with someone today about this who said both Simpsonville and Mauldin have bike lane plans / routes. Mauldin wants to link theirs with Greenville. (Much the way of the greenway / trails going through the city and county). Nice to see the suburbs getting in on these quality of life issues.

• 1 year later...

^^ This is great! This is one of the things I was hoping to check out while I was in California in September, but I didn't make it over to Berkley due to a traffic jam that forced me to turn around.

In general, cyclists are given a great deal of consideration in the bay area. This video mentiones that you can take your bike on the bus or on BART, but I also noticed while I was there that the CalTrain (commuter rail between SF and the San Jose/south bay area) has a special car dedicated to bicycles so commuters can take their bikes with them. That's an awesome idea!

Like I said in the other thread, it really doesn't make any sense that GTA would get money for bike lanes. That is a responsibility that would normally fall under a transportation planning organization. The City would be the logical choice, but beyond that GPATS is the next logical choice given the relatively confined geography of the city.

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know if there's an organized Critical Mass in Greenville on the last Friday of each month? Has there been any effort to organize one? I ask because I've seen this in other cities (namely Orlando and Atlanta) and it seems like something that would receive plenty of support here in Greenville as well, but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about it here.

Does anybody know if there's an organized Critical Mass in Greenville on the last Friday of each month? Has there been any effort to organize one? I ask because I've seen this in other cities (namely Orlando and Atlanta) and it seems like something that would receive plenty of support here in Greenville as well, but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about it here.

I know that a few people have talked about starting a Critical Mass ride in Greenville, but it never took off. For the record, I do not think a CM ride would be good for Greenville at this point. The name, Critical Mass, has a somewhat negative connotation to some people based on altercations that have occurred during rides in other cities. Right now, Greenville has a lot going for it in terms of improvements for cycling, so I don

Speaking of good things that are happening here. Check out this post about bike lane and greenways funding:

http://bikegreenville.blogspot.com/2008/04...re-funding.html

Hopefully some of you can come out and support this funding.

This is exciting! Seems the dollars would go fairly far too. What cost is there to adding bike lanes other than painting lines and some minor paving? :dontknow: Maybe I'm over-simplifying.

This is exciting! Seems the dollars would go fairly far too. What cost is there to adding bike lanes other than painting lines and some minor paving? :dontknow: Maybe I'm over-simplifying.

Usually grinding of the existing markings is required too, which cost more than just the painting. It starts to get expensive if the road width and existing infrastructure needs to be modified, but you are right, this money should go a long way over 5 years.

Usually grinding of the existing markings is required too, which cost more than just the painting. It starts to get expensive if the road width and existing infrastructure needs to be modified, but you are right, this money should go a long way over 5 years.

Thanks. Good to hear. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

National Bike to Work week is coming up next week, May 12-16. The City of Greenville is participating with events throughout the week. You can see the schedule of events on the City's bike2work webpage at http://www.greatergreenville.com/bike2work.

I'll just mention the highlights here.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, you can stop by Piazza Bergamo at lunch and have mechanics from local shops perform a free safety check. The idea is to get bikes that have been sitting in a garage unused tuned up and ready to go. Don't miss it if you haven't ridden in a long time and would like to start.

Thursday evening will be the Commuter 101 class. You will learn the basics of safe riding in traffic and can try out some demo products fro commuting from TTR bikes downtown.

Friday morning is the free commuter breakfast at Piazza Bergamo. Mayor White will be there to update everyone on what the City is doing to become more bike friendly. Don

Archived