North Main St.

Lova

Do we know if its going to be a real pharmacy?

I don't know, I would speculate, since the Kennedy Plaza CVS is not, and to compete with the Eagle Square Osco, that they would want to be a full service pharmacy.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude, there is no such thing as "enough" fun boutiques. :) and yes, a full serve pharmacy (with drugs and everything, unlike the one at K-plaza) is definately needed. It is just that those walgreens are so seedy so quickly. It seems even the ones in nice neighborhoods get grubby and crappy instantly--they seem to have no PRIDE. Do we know if its going to be a real pharmacy?

Fun boutiques don't stay in business, esp. on Federal Hill. Walgreens will fit the bill as they are doing an urban design. It will be the first pharmacy on the hill since Rite-Aid was sold to Brooks and they vacated the DePasquale S. spot.

Fun boutiques don't stay in business, esp. on Federal Hill. Walgreens will fit the bill as they are doing an urban design. It will be the first pharmacy on the hill since Rite-Aid was sold to Brooks and they vacated the DePasquale S. spot.

Atwells isn't the first place I think of for fun boutiques... Downtown, Wayland Sq, Wickenden maybe, but not Federal Hill.

The Hill, in its slow steady march to becoming a "full service" residential neighborhood, needs something like the Walgreens. I'm not dancing in the streets over the news, but it makes sense and is necessary.

- Garris

Broadway also has its collection of fun boutiques. Relish, Rocket to Mars, Poppy, and the one next to the Colonial, forget the name.

What the Broadway neighborhood needs is a pharmacy. I am kinda dancing in the streets for the Walgreens on Atwells, as it is definitely walking distance. would love a nice independent to go back on Broadway, but Walgreens will do.

Atwells isn't the first place I think of for fun boutiques... Downtown, Wayland Sq, Wickenden maybe, but not Federal Hill.

The Hill, in its slow steady march to becoming a "full service" residential neighborhood, needs something like the Walgreens. I'm not dancing in the streets over the news, but it makes sense and is necessary.

- Garris

Garris, I really enjoy your contributions to this site. I tend to agree with you on almost everything, including this. Your views are sensible, photos breathtaking, and you are very well-articulated. Thanks for making UP interesting! And you too Frankie!

What the Broadway neighborhood needs is a pharmacy.

I believe Walgreens was looking to locate in a proposed building at the east end of Broadway. There's still a proposal to build a residential tower near Dominica Manor. I don't know if locating at 333 Atwells means that they are no longer interested in that spot or not.

I think the east end of Broadway location would have been more ideal as we will hopefully have high density residential on either side of the highway eventually, but 333 Atwells will do for now.

I believe Walgreens was looking to locate in a proposed building at the east end of Broadway. There's still a proposal to build a residential tower near Dominica Manor. I don't know if locating at 333 Atwells means that they are no longer interested in that spot or not.

I think the east end of Broadway location would have been more ideal as we will hopefully have high density residential on either side of the highway eventually, but 333 Atwells will do for now.

I agree with you that the east end of Broadway needs something. With Broadway designated as an american "Main Street" and landscaping, bike lanes and lighting changes in the works, the gateway area from the highway is in drastic need of an improvement.

Personally I would welcome high density there, but I can almost hear the opposition to this. Will be interesting to see if and when this proposal becomes more concrete.

The only thing I can see wrong with putting a Walgreen's on Atwells is that other than the banks and dunkin donuts, there are no chains. Bringing in a national chain like Walgreen's goes in the direction of homogonizing the neighborhood.

The only thing I can see wrong with putting a Walgreen's on Atwells is that other than the banks and dunkin donuts, there are no chains. Bringing in a national chain like Walgreen's goes in the direction of homogonizing the neighborhood.

well, to be fair, we did have a Rite Aid up there before and it left.

The only thing I can see wrong with putting a Walgreen's on Atwells is that... Bringing in a national chain like Walgreen's goes in the direction of homogonizing the neighborhood.

True. However, unfortunately, the brutal economics of healthcare being what they are right now, the little "neighborhood druggist" is a thing of the past. There still may be old ones open, but there will be no new ones. The only institutions with the resources to make it in pharmaceuticals are the larger chains, who have been (like hospitals, practices, etc) consolidating like mad in recent years.

Nope, unfortunately, if a neighborhood wants a drug store in the 21st century, it almost means by definition that it will be a chain or supermarket pharmacy. The market won't allow anything else.

- Garris

True. However, unfortunately, the brutal economics of healthcare being what they are right now, the little "neighborhood druggist" is a thing of the past. There still may be old ones open, but there will be no new ones. The only institutions with the resources to make it in pharmaceuticals are the larger chains, who have been (like hospitals, practices, etc) consolidating like mad in recent years.

Nope, unfortunately, if a neighborhood wants a drug store in the 21st century, it almost means by definition that it will be a chain or supermarket pharmacy. The market won't allow anything else.

- Garris

Yeah... between the insurance costs, customer loyalty to brands, and their purchasing and marketing power I guess it makes a lot more sense. I just don't like to think of this happening in areas that to me have been in the past mostly a small business type of store. I'm not old by any means but I remember when all but a couple of the drug stores in my hometown were mom & pop shops (now it's the other way around). The place my parents used to bring me to let us kids have the run of the place more or less, and always had an ample suppy of lollipops. It's pretty odd that stupid little things like that happen, now I feel how all those "stupid old people" felt like when they reminisced about the milk man or the doctor who makes house calls. How can we expect anything but the further consolidation of the stronger stores with no new competition without a better business climate across the country?

Wasn't there a pharmacy at the corner of Vinton & Broadway? Is it functioning as a convenience store now or is it closed? I've never actually been inside of it, but when I lived in the area it was open in some capacity.

I'm happy to hear the city is trying to convince Walgreen's to put apartments above the North Main store, perhaps the city could adopt an ordinance to make every retail outlet do this if they want to build a new store.

Thom said the city is still trying to get Walgreens to be more urban, and asking them to consider apartments above the store. But there isn't much they can do to force them. They've thrown photos at them of places where they've done it before, and pointed out that they plan to move into 333 Atwells on Federal Hill which is a building that will include a residential component, so there is precedent for them to do so right here in Providence (well, future precedence anyway).

A slightly radical idea might be to possibly offer Walgreen

• 2 weeks later...

It should be Lupo's

I understand the resistance, but it sucks that the Summit NA basically told Lopu to go screw and then let this place happen. It was previously a club called Jade, FWiW.

As I understand it, it is very popular among the Patriot's players and thus, very exclusive...

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new special projects section of the Summit NA site on North Main Redevelopment. This is one of SNA's main focii for 06-07.

For urban planning anoraks, there is a design guidelines study commissioned by DPD and completed by URI Dept of Community Planning posted on the site.

Additionally, the Congress for New Urbanism will look at North Main as a special "urban lab" on June 1 as part of CNU XIV.

Archived