North Main St.

Lova

Can I rescind my title as ambassador to South County because, well, I hate it?

There is no South County, that's like a term of endearment. If you hate it, call it

Washington County :)

Why the hate, though? There are plenty of cool places to go.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about the South Side other than there are naked babies with Glock 9s there..

I got Mt Pleasant, Olneyville and Manton covered though..

The East Side is fine as is I think.. North Main is an ok street.. Its suburban like.. Its not city like.. The focus needs to be on "The Rest of Providence", until there is no longer a "Rest of Providence & East Side", just "Providence"... Mt Hope could use some work though..

Your getting weird again!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Its shocking to see.. Dave Chappelle is right.. At first you feel sorry the the kids in South Prov... Where are the parents you think.. Then a 4 year old baby robs you at gun point.. Its a real perspective changer..

Where exactly is Pearl's? I tried looking for it one night?

Well, we've got Jenkins covering the North end

Doing my best to keep an eye on things round these parts. They re-paved a few roads here recenently, and did a rather shoddy job as far as I can tell. I assume the are not quite done, but fear they are. What is up with that? Pave once a decade and then mess it up? Ugh.

It is very easy to miss Pearl, hidden down the southern end of Charles Street near the intersection with Silver Spring. If you miss it you can always just hit the Wendy's drive through instead

:shok:

They re-paved a few roads here recenently, and did a rather shoddy job as far as I can tell. I assume the are not quite done, but fear they are. What is up with that?

Just like the Atwell's paving... I looked at it and said, "This is a precoating, right?" Nope, turns out they were done... Give it a couple of years, and it'll look like the surface of the moon again... :(

- Garris

Just like the Atwell's paving... I looked at it and said, "This is a precoating, right?" Nope, turns out they were done... Give it a couple of years, and it'll look like the surface of the moon again... :(

If we have a winter like last winter, Atwells will look like the moon by March. They also negelected to repaint the crosswalks. There's a crosswalk at the Dunkin Donuts which is very important, because of DD and because of Dominica Manor, that one's not repainted, and another one halfway from there to Dean is missing.

OK, now I am getting really mad. They finally get the funding to repave roads, and then half ass it!! That is just wrong. This is where the mayor needs to be hands on and follow up with this stuff. The other option is to call a news station, like channel 12. And I am not kidding. Nothing like a little media attention to get things changed. I actually called channel 12 once with a news story about an abandoned house in my neighborhood and that very night they did a story about it!

Jenkins, are you talking about state roads or local ones?

Well that's one place where Cicilline is trying to get some funding, apparently many of our main roads become state roads once they cross the city line into N.P., Warwick, Cranston... For some reason, Providence has been shafted on taking responsibility for roads that the state maintains in other cities.

I think the less than spectacular job that is being done on some repaving is the small budget, and huge problem. Even these repavings that are little more than skim coats are better than nothing. Roads like Atwells were an emergency situtation, the city had to scramble funds to get that fixed. The real test will be when these stop-gap measures fail, will the city be able to redo them for real? Like Atwells needs to be completely dug up and rebuilt from the dirt up for example. Is the city planning now to be able to do that in 2-3 years?

Well that's one place where Cicilline is trying to get some funding, apparently many of our main roads become state roads once they cross the city line into N.P., Warwick, Cranston... For some reason, Providence has been shafted on taking responsibility for roads that the state maintains in other cities.

Some of the state roads in Providence are N. Main St (Rt 1), Douglas Ave (Rt 7), Hartford Ave (Rt 6), and Plainfield St (Rt 14). Elmwood Ave (Rt 1) , Allens Ave (Rt 1A) and Smith St (Rt 44).

Some of the state roads in Providence are N. Main St (Rt 1), Douglas Ave (Rt 7), Hartford Ave (Rt 6), and Plainfield St (Rt 14). Elmwood Ave (Rt 1) , Allens Ave (Rt 1A) and Smith St (Rt 44).

the roads Jenkins is referring to are definitely city roads, and the city tends to do a more sloppy and less intensive job.

When the state redoes the road, it includes sidewalks, lighting, signage, the works.

Elmwood Ave will be getting this treatment next summer. (hopefully with some additional enhancements).

I attended the regional APA (American Planning Association) conference in Newport the last two days and heard about an interesting N. Main development. Walgreens wants to open a new store on N. Main and wants to do its typical franchise suburban development model. Walgreens has retained Andy Teitz (local land use attorney) to represent them and help seek needed variances for parking in front, signage etc. Curiously, he is the same attorney who wrote the anti-formula architecture ordinance for the Town of Bristol historic district and he presented a session at the conference today about how to get franchises to comply with local development standards. It will be interesting to see how he represents the proposed Walgreens on N. Main before the Providence ZBR.

I attended the regional APA (American Planning Association) conference in Newport the last two days and heard about an interesting N. Main development. Walgreens wants to open a new store on N. Main and wants to do its typical franchise suburban development model. Walgreens has retained Andy Teitz (local land use attorney) to represent them and help seek needed variances for parking in front, signage etc. Curiously, he is the same attorney who wrote the anti-formula architecture ordinance for the Town of Bristol historic district and he presented a session at the conference today about how to get franchises to comply with local development standards. It will be interesting to see how he represents the proposed Walgreens on N. Main before the Providence ZBR.

Walgreens is also planning a new store in East Providence at the busy corners of Pawtucket & Warren Ave. Miller's Roast Beef will be demolished as a result. They are in the permit & zoning stage. There is a CVS & Brooks right across the street.

The way North Main is set up there is plenty of opportunity for them to have parking in back. The only good thing I can see coming from this is if they got the stupid Brooks on North Main to actually make some upgrades. That store looks like a relic from a Death Wish movie.

Why can't Walgreen go into the Shaw's plaza where it belongs?

Oops! Please disregard.

I was about to post a message that Colonial Toyota on N. Main St was moving to Lincoln when I realized that they're actually just off N. Main St on Pawtucket Ave in Pawtucket. But here's the story anyhow. And didn't they have another showroom on N. Main across from Dunkin Dounuts?

Colonial Toyota of 550 Pawtucket Ave., Pawtucket, and Rizzo Ford of 1703 Mineral Spring Ave., North Providence, have jointly purchased the 40-acre site of the former Flexicore/Durastone just over the Lincoln line and will be relocating both of those dealerships there in new, modern facilities, according to Jim Botvin, Colonial owner and president

The newish buildings that Miriam built in the Shaws "hole" are now being connected to the back of the Sears/Anderson Little parking lot with a large curving ramp... like a road on the side of a mountian. Miriam also owns the Sears building... so maybe they have plans to tear down the Sears bldg and do something with it? Not sure why else they would build that big mountain... for parking maybe?

Walgreens is also planning a new store in East Providence at the busy corners of Pawtucket & Warren Ave. Miller's Roast Beef will be demolished as a result. They are in the permit & zoning stage. There is a CVS & Brooks right across the street.

I missed this one!! Say it isn't so!! Do we really need THREE drugstore chains at one intersection?? That's just stupid.

I missed this one!! Say it isn't so!! Do we really need THREE drugstore chains at one intersection?? That's just stupid.

Yes, it's true. A friends of the owner of Miller's told me about this MONTHS ago, but only saw the zoning notice in the journal a few weeks ago. I guess the closed marine shop next door will be demolished as well.

I doubt they'd open it unless there was demand for it.. some drugstores have ridiculous amounts of customers

a day.. the cvs at the reservoir/park intersection in Cranston and the walgreens on broad street in Pawtucket do well over 1000 scripts a day in their pharmacies.It may not sound like a huge number, but it is. Add that to the shortage of pharmacists being certified.. and it makes for a very dangerous situation.

The store I work at considers 200 scripts a day to be busy! We do have a smaller staff.. but still, add that to dealing with beotchy customers, non-english speaking customers, idiot doctors who leave out needed info which requires a phone call, and the idiots over at the insurance companies., and it gets very busy.

There have actually been a few reports on the news of local CVS pharmacists giving out the wrong medication or messing up dosage.. one was for a child!!, just due to over tiredness and lack of a lunch/bathroom break for their entire shift.. My boss goes through the same thing.. it's all due to lack of pharmicists in the area.

Now that I have gotten off topic..

Unless they have NEW pharmacists already hired to work at this new store.. then its very stupid to open it and force current employees to float over to that store.. (which they force you to do). But if they somehow have the

needed staff.. THEN GO WALGREENS!

I'm not aware of any other Lifespan construction projects there... My guess would be for parking. I'll ask around.

- Garris

Last I heard, Miriam sold the Sears property as well as Anderson Little to Procaccianti. I also know that Brown sold the Ethan Allen and the Sears Automotive parcels. Don't know who bought these.

As far as the Procaccianti properties are concerned, they're doing marketing and demographic research to determine the best use.

http://sna.providence.ri.us/blog/?p=31#comments

Last I heard, Miriam sold the Sears property as well as Anderson Little to Procaccianti. I also know that Brown sold the Ethan Allen and the Sears Automotive parcels. Don't know who bought these.

As far as the Procaccianti properties are concerned, they're doing marketing and demographic research to determine the best use.

http://sna.providence.ri.us/blog/?p=31#comments

Well, this is good. It's about time . It'll be interesting to find out what the people in the area actually want there rather than hearing about everything that they don't want. Trader Joe's is not a good fit there...too close to Whole Foods and even closer to Shaw's and Stop & Shop. Maybe a budget hotel wouldn't be too bad as they did say there could be underground parking..( forgot about the bowling alley and Sears underground spot) Some retail is inevitable as long as they don't construct it like Eagle Square. I know someone said that there wasn't enough space, but I don't think that would be the case. The Benny's Tire place and the Payphone? building could come down giving that section space for retail...The old Sears automotive would be perfect for a Walgreens and the old Sears/Anderson Little/ Duckpin bowling spot could support a budget hotel with ample parking...However, I don't know if the hotel idea will be a fit for Prociaccianti since he is already developing other hotels in the city..

Archived