Windmill Place?

wyattt

I lived in and around the Flint area for over 20 years. One memory I have was going to windmill place and eating the good food and shopping at the shops as a kid. I may be moving back this fall and so I stumbled across these forums and I haven't seen anything on this place.

Are there plans for windmill place?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know there aren't any plans for Windmill Place. The last time I heard about the place in the news was a few years ago. I think the Williamsons own(ed) it and they either owed back taxes and/or were talking about selling the place.

I know it's not that helpful :), but that's all I can recall. I was just talking about Windmill Place in another thread. It just seems like a good location for a variety of things, but now it sits mostly vacant. :(

• 4 months later...

You know Saturday I was leavinga wedding at St. Michaels church and noticed a sign in fornt of the old windmill place, something about retail coming soon, I thoght " Is this an old or new sign "and I fogot about it. Today on ABC12 news they said that there is a project in thworks to demolish the building and that a developer plans to build a new shopping center there and that they are talking with a major ratailer. I know this will go throght, I just can't wait till it does.

I just asked about this same thing on UrbanFlint! Was that all the information that was given, or were the more specifics about what time of retail, who it might be, and what the new center would look like?

If it does go through, this will be huge at finally starting to get development occuring outside the main strip along Saginaw Street.

• 1 year later...

Windmill Place may see new lifeNew retail development could see area thrive

By Dawn Jones

FLINT (WJRT) - (03/09/07)--A new retail development could soon occupy a Flint landmark that's been idled for years.

The Windmill Place on Fifth Avenue And North Saginaw Street was once thriving with businesses and restaurants.

Now there are plans in the works to bring vitality back to that area.

Over the years there have been quite a few plans talked about that would breathe life back into the building, but none of those came to fruition.

This new development is very promising. It's been confirmed that one tenant has already signed on.

Developers say the Windmill Place complex is prime real estate because of its location. It sits right at the corner of Fifth Avenue and North Saginaw Street.

It's just minuets from the expressway, and it's located across the street from the campus of the University of Michigan-Flint.

In the '80s it was a bustling place with a food court and number of retail shops. Now it's a weathered, nearly abandoned building.

But for the few businesses that have weathered the storm and remained in the area, they are filled with anticipation of what's to come.

Archived