Downtown Classics

Jmac823200

Hello guys! I'm trying to figure out which buildings downtown do you/we consider to be the classics. I'm referring to building that we would not want to see demolished or building that you think the government will never allow to be demolished. This list can include occupied and unoccupied buildings downtown. I think that we can expect to see many names on this list then we'll eventually take a poll and find out which building are downtown Jacksonville's classic buildings.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea for a thread. First things first, we should mention the buildings that are already preserved, for real. Jacksonville has something called "local landmark status," which means the owner (or a past owner) applied for historic designation. These buildings cannot be demolished without specific approval from the city council.

Just from memory, here's a list of downtown "local landmarks" ...

Laura Trio - Bisbee, Fla. Life, Marble Bank

Old Barnett bldg.

11E Forsyth

The Carlington

Ambassador Hotel

Moroccan Temple

Dyal Upchurch

Holmes Block

Churchwell Lofts

Suddath Lofts

Lerner Lofts

Greenleaf & Crosby bldg.

Knight bldg lofts

City Hall at St. James

Florida Theater

Prime Osborne Convention Center (the old train station part)

Pretty much every major church downtown.

Florida Baptist bldg (falling apart badly, will probably eventually be demolished, despite status.)

I'm sure I've left out MANY, so feel free to add more.

Also, keep in mind that landmark designation is actually no huge bar to demolition if the city wants to see it happen. Delany sucessfully forced the demolition of at least 7 "protected" buildings during his tenure as mayor.

Also, if you are just trying to find out what buildings we consider "classic" regardless of time period ... My favorites include ...

Bank of America

Modis

Riverplace Tower

2 Prudential Plaza

Jax's 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 7th tallest (depending how one measures such things).

I think Modis and BofA essentially are Jax's skyline at the moment. They define it. Riverplace is my favorite example of "60s modernism actually done right" - I'm not a total neo-traditionalist ;). And I just think 2 Prudential looks picture perfect as a background to friendship fountain.

I'd like to see some of the well-designed buildings on Main Street in Springfield preserved. While they may look dingy now, a little fix-up in the already gentrifying area will help preserve one of those "Main Street" style storefront buildings.

Also, I'd like to see the old Federal Courthouse preserved and fixed up. With the County Courthouse mess, this building is getting delayed too.

The St. James Building's interior and exterior are beautiful.  I think it is taken for granted.  Next time you're in Hemming Plaza study it or better yet step inside and you'll see exactly what I mean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob Broward was the architect for the redesign/renovation on that building.

Archived