Upstate Events

gs3

Two downtown events kick off their seasonal run this week. Moonlight Movie Series starts this Weds May 4 (not sure what movie is showing) at the amphitheater at Peace Center and The Saturday Market starts this coming Saturday May 7 in East Court. See you there!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

I'm planning on taking in the Moonlight Movies myself - if I can talk the wife into it.

May 4th: "His Girl Friday," starring Cary Grant

May 11th: "The Big Sleep," starring Humphrey Bogart

May 18th: "A Night at the Opera," starring the Marx Brothers

May 25th: "Shane," starring Alan Ladd

For more complete information, click here.

I changed the title so we can have one place for all of our events in the Upstate :)

Spartanburg's 27th annual Spring Fling downtown festival kicks off this Friday.

To allow vendors to set up, the first street -- Converse Street from Dunbar Street to Woodward Street -- closes about 9 a.m. Friday.

East St. John Street from North Liberty Street to South Dean Street will close about noon Friday.

"Spring Fling is an arts, crafts, culinary, and music festival that celebrates the community and downtown Spartanburg . The event always strives to offer

By the way, forgot to ask, did anybody make it to last weeks Moonlight Movie? I went....it was great....weather was a little chilly, but really good crowd. Thought I remembered last year somebody setting up a cart and selling wine and beer. Didn't see that this year....had to miss part of the movie and make a beer run. :)

Will be back tomorrow night!

I posted this in the bike lanes thread, but I thought some people who are not interested in that topic might be interested in the progress of the ICAR and Millenium campuses. I am looking forward to being able to explore these areas on Friday.

ATTENTION: Cyclists, runners, walkers, rollerbladers

Bring your gear! Following a brief dedication ceremony, Mayor White

will invite you to be the first to enjoy the recreational benefits of

the new roadways of the ICAR campus.

The City of Greenville cordially invites you to attend the

dedication ceremony of

Millennium Boulevard & Innovation Drive

at the ICAR and Millennium Campuses

City of Greenville

Friday, May 13, 2005 3:30 p.m. Rain (deluge) date - May 18

Main entrance to ICAR, Laurens Road, Greenville, SC

Directions: First traffic light after crossing over I-85 on Laurens

Road

Watch for electronic signs and police officers to guide you into the

ICAR Campus

The project includes the four-lane Millennium Boulevard and the two-lane

Innovation Drive and incorporates many design features, including a

roundabout, serpentine alignment, arched bridges with stone veneer, and

extensive landscaping. Bike lanes were also incorporated into the design

and one of the arched bridges was built to accommodate future pedestrian

trails along Laurel Creek.

post-857-1116003153_thumb.jpgpost-857-1116003206_thumb.jpgpost-857-1116003279_thumb.jpgpost-857-1116003305_thumb.jpg

In reading this thread, it's obvious Upstate residents enjoy a pretty active social life. Special events here (Main Street Jazz, First Fridays, Moonlight Movies, Art in the Park, The Saturday Market, etc, etc)

Here is an idea. Throughout Germany (and most Germanic countries), the holiday season is celebrated with Kriskindlemarkt (literal translation: Chris Child Market, standard translation Christmas Market). These outdoor markets go on for weeks prior to Christmas, with food, spiced wine, handmade toys, spiced wine, arts and crafts, spiced wine, jewelry, and MORE spiced wine. Everybody hangs out at the markets after work, and enjoys....much like we do here in Greenville for Main Street Jazz.

OK, here is my pitch....with the sucess that the downtown Saturday market has shown in Greenville, how do you think Greenville could parlay that into starting a Kriskindlemarkt. I would ceratinly think that with the amount of Germans here and BMW, this idea could take root. Munich (BMW's headquarters) is famous for it's Kriskindlemarkt. Think they would sponsor it? This type event goes right along with the outdoor Ice Rink being talked about for downtown. It seems to fit Greenville.

Attached are some photos from the Kriskindlemarkt I went to last year in Vienna.

post-857-1116003153_thumb.jpg

post-857-1116003206_thumb.jpg

post-857-1116003279_thumb.jpg

post-857-1116003305_thumb.jpg

Absolutely PERFECT for Greenville!!!!! This is exactly the kind of thing we need to bring here to set us apart from the rest of the state/region/country! I think it would be great to incorporate this festival into my dream of an international village along the Reedy River as well. I love Germany, its people, and festivals. Great idea, gsupstate! :D

Hey Skyliner, tell us more about your vision for an International Village! Sounds like a fantastic idea! :D

Greenville really needs to continue to promote it's international ties. We are number one in the nation per capita for European investment!

Archived