Upstate Events

gs3

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jazz in the Park (Barnet Park, Spartanburg)

This Friday, May 27th at 8pm--it's Jazz in the Park!

With: Spyro Gyro (fusion jazz) with special guests Tuck and Patti (new age, pop)

*Tickets: $10 lawn (there are more expensive ones for like $27...but the Barnet Park lawn is nice!)

No coolers allowed but there will be vendors on site.

*You can get tickets via ticketmaster and they'll charge you services charges and shipping OR you can stop by the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium Monday-Friday between 9-5pm and just pay the ticket cost...

• 4 weeks later...

A new festival coming up in August 11 in Cherokee County called the Firelake Festival. Supposedly this is going to be huge. It is expected to draw many performers and tens of thousands in attendance (they compared it to a similar festival somewhere else that drew in 86,000 in attendance). They said the interstate could be backed up to the Greenville County line and the NC State line. Thats alot of traffic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read about this on a flyer at the Spice today. It sounds interesting to me, so I thought I would share with you guys, since it fits with our general subject matter here on the UrbanPlanet.

The End of Suburbia - Friday, August 5 2005, 7:00pm - 12:00am

"This will be a FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE screening on Friday, August 5th, at the Main Street Green (look for the grassy lot on E. Main near Church Street). PCF has teamed up with Hub-Bub.com to show a new documentary called End of Suburbia.

Bummed about rising gas prices? Frustrated that you have to get in your car to go ANYwhere in town? Now is your chance to take a closer look at the state of the world's energy resources and decide for yourself what the future holds for you, Spartanburg, the U.S. and the world."

hub-bub.com's caledar for this event

A quote from http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

"...How will the populations of suburbia react to the collapse of their dream? Are today's suburbs destined to become the slums of tomorrow?"

All of this sounds interesting to me. I might just have to check this out.

YOu nkow what the problem was? OTher than i think they didn't get the word out well. THey said it was going to be like boneroo and they got alot of minor acts to support that type of festival. They when it came to headliners they couldn't get any large hippie acts so they signed on a bunch of crappy rock bands like trapt and puddle of mudd. Tickets were to expensive and the headliners and minor bands have totally different audiences. If you are going to be Bonaaroo and OZ Fest at the same time you need major and minor acts from both genres.

Right. For those of us who like bands like trapt and puddle of mudd, the ticket price for a 1 day pass ($42) was not worth it, since these aren't even big rock bands, nor are they that popular anymore. And they probably weren't on the same day. I don't pay that much unless I really like the band, which is probably what most other people were thinking too.

I read this in the HJ today:

"Fire Lake Festival organizer Dave Mackenzie told Cherokee County Council members several months ago, when the festival idea was first proposed, that he didn't aim to make a profit off ticket sales the first year. If everyone who shows up has a good time, the event will have been a success, Mackenzie proclaimed.

Mackenzie signed a five-year lease on the Sunny Slope property for the festival."

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../508120342/1044

So perhaps this isnt as big of a flop as they thought it would be. We know for sure that there will be about 4 more of these since the guy signed a 4 year lease on the land.

If you want to catch some pretty big name guys for free, then come to Barnet park this weekend for IMPACT 2005. This event is a gift from FBS and will feature the wrestler Sting and singer Russ Lee on Friday night, former Philidelphia Eagles quarterback Randall Cunnigham Sat. night and Ricky Skaggs and Kentuky Thunder Sunday night. Yes, all these men are Christian, and each night starts at 7:30. Just drove by and you should see the set-up. Huge choir and orchestra set and a big "jumbotron" on a transfer truck. Pretty cool for little Barnet park.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post about this but Anderson has been hosting "The Raising Race" this weekend. A number of familiar names are in town to help promote it from "The Amazing Race" TV show including Joyce and Uchenna (last year's winners) and Rob and Amber of Survivor fame.

Kelly McCorkle, one of the contestants last year who I guess is from Anderson, organized the event to raise money for The Calvary Home for Children (an Anderson orphanage?).

One of the interesting things is that it got a little national publicity for Anderson and the Upstate. I believe Kelly went on one of the national morning shows promoting what's going on and teams came from all over the country.

Reference: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=179139

THIS ARTICLE in the Greenville News is an exciting report on the expansion of Fall For Greenville.  The already massive festival is planning to grow into the West End (incl. Falls Park and beyond) this year! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm curious...if the festival itself is going to extend on down SOBRO (South of Broad) into the West End, where will the bike races be held this year? OR...will there be any bike races? That's always been one of my favorite parts of Fall for Greenville.

Does anybody know about the status of the races?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived