Charlotteans and/or North Carolinians?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that most of the Charlottean posters here would consider themselves both, but what do you think about colleagues, co-workers, friends, fellow church members, etc. who are not native to North Carolina? Do they take time to explore the rest of the state? Do they even know who NC's representatives are in Washington (or their local representatives in Raleigh)? Or does their NC identity begin and end with the license plate?

When you say CAROLINA, say NORTH CAROLINA, when you say CAROLINA say HEELS! I'm a Tarheel born, I'm a Tarheel bred, and when I die I'll be Tarheel dead. So rah-rah, Carolina-lina, rah-rah, Carolina.....

Sorry. Had to throw that in there. I'd say I'm definitely a North Carolinean (I think Tarheel is actually the official word for it though) first and a Charlottean second but my pride of Charlotte quite often outweighs the other though.

I lived in chapel hill/the triangle for 5 years and have lived in charlotte for 5 years. In Charlotte, I have noticed much more association with South Carolina. I quickly stopped referring to my alma mater as 'carolina' because many people just assumed south carolina. I think that is actually very good for the city of charlotte overall, as it means there are many reps from NC and SC around here, truly making it a true capital of the carolinas.

I think the people who lived their lives in SC (and many still live in SC in the charlotte metro) consider themselves south carolinians, even if they live in charlotte. Obviously with the city being in NC, more people identify with as north carolinians. But, Charlotteans often see themselves as different or special in comparison with other north carolinians.

I'm a Charlottean, but I don't really think of myself as a North Carolinian. Not that I'm trying to be arrogant by any means, my sister now lives in Raleigh, but I'll always be a Yankee at heart. Grew up in SE PA but don't want to live there (like the climate down here). But I still love cheesesteaks, snowy christmas, all Philly sports teams, and I won't say ya'll if I can help it. I don't care for sweet tea, don't go to church, and don't like country music. I know, way to hype up stereotypes, but I just don't relate to much outside of the big city that is Charlotte.

I like big city living, and don't really see that anywhere else in North Carolina. There are a lot of Yankee transplants here, so I'm more than comfortable in my surroundings here and I've got a lot of southern and native friends as well. I just don't think I could fit in anywhere else in the state, so it's hard to see myself as a North Carolinian.

i was born in charlotte, raised in the mighty waxhaws. even though i grew up a stones throw away from south carolina - there was never a question as to the pure north carolinean blood that flowed in my veins. yes, i have run with the catawba, fought with and along side the rock hillian, i have won money in the back allys of cheraw, and loved many a love in the sands of the southern beaches. but only under the moon of the old north state do i feel the kiss of heaven. VIVA!

...and I won't say ya'll if I can help it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you feel comfortable saying "yous" or "yuns"? At least "y'all" is an actual contraction (you all).

I don't care for sweet tea...

Shame. How about bourbon?

...don't go to church...

Heathen.

...and don't like country music.

What? No Randy Travis fan? Next you'll say you don't like NASCAR or grits!

I know, way to hype up stereotypes...

Yep, pretty much. I guess this wouldn't be the right time to bring up my experiences of living in Philly for three years. Talk about stereotypes...

for some reason, i think you can't really call yourself something like a north carolinian or pennsylvanian or new yorker, unless you have longstanding family roots there, or were born or raised there. I have lived all over the place, and in NC for the longest by far, but i still wouldn't consider myself 'from' nc. I love NC, i love sweet tea (although, my grandparents have always made sweet tea, even though they are from pa/de), etc.

As far as the question as to colleagues, i think many people i know think like cooper. Not necessarily 'yankee', but simply don't consider themselves 'from' here, unless they have family or were raised here. That doesn't mean they don't love it or like it here, though.

welcome cinco. 

did you sing when you typed, because i nearly broke out into song when i read it :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dubone, you read me well. i sing often. also, thank you for your ...hospitality. i was about to say "southern" but i just read your current post. it just goes to show that a welcoming heart is universal.

for some reason, i think you can't really call yourself something like a north carolinian or pennsylvanian or new yorker, unless you have longstanding family roots there, or were born or raised there.  I have lived all over the place, and in NC for the longest by far, but i still wouldn't consider myself 'from' nc.  I love NC, i love sweet tea (although, my grandparents have always made sweet tea, even though they are from pa/de), etc. 

As far as the question as to colleagues, i think many people i know think like cooper.  Not necessarily 'yankee', but simply don't consider themselves 'from' here, unless they have family or were raised here.  That doesn't mean they don't love it or like it here, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. I love Charlotte, may live the rest of my days here. But it will be a long time until I feel like I'm a North Carolinian, if ever. 90% of my family has lived in SE PA since the 1600's and still do, so it would be hard to overcome the idea of not feeling like that was my true home.

Do you feel comfortable saying "yous" or "yuns"?  At least "y'all" is an actual contraction (you all).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, none of the above. I say you all (rarely) or just work around it.

Shame.  How about bourbon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once in a while, but I'm a Guinness man. I'm a beer-drinker in general and steer clear of most iquor drinks except for VT home games. Go Hokies!

Heathen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe in God, just not any ways the churches depict things. Raised and confirmed Roman Catholic, and then ran away as fast as I could from that religion.

What?  No Randy Travis fan?  Next you'll say you don't like NASCAR or grits!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm...No Peg. Don't do country. Watched NASCAR my first two years here, but now I've lost interest. Would still like to do a race sometime, but I'm on vacation for Memorial Day, and in the fall, well, it's football season.

Yep, pretty much.  I guess this wouldn't be the right time to bring up my experiences of living in Philly for three years.  Talk about stereotypes...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't doubt you got you're stories about Philly, mostly bad I'm sure. But that's my culture just as the culture in North Carolina is much different, but it proves my point. I'm a Charlottean, but not a North Carolinian.

Funstuff though, and meant with no ill-will of course.

Funstuff though, and meant with no ill-will of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No ill will seen here. You're missing out by not using "y'all", though. And for the record, "y'all" is used when referring to more than one person, NEVER is it to be used to refer to just one. You'll be spotted as a fake immediately if you use it incorrectly.

I have a tough time with this one. I was born and raised in Myrtle Beach, but have lived most of my adult life in Charlotte. Both are right on the NC/SC border. My Dad's family is from Myrtle Beach, my Mom's from Charlotte. I've got roots in the Low Country that are hard to forget but roots here in the Piedmont that are just as strong.

I guess I would say I am from The Carolinas.

No ill will seen here.  You're missing out by not using "y'all", though.  And for the record, "y'all" is used when referring to more than one person, NEVER is it to be used to refer to just one.  You'll be spotted as a fake immediately if you use it incorrectly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived here for five years, I just prefer not. I do use it correctly in the rare instance it comes flying out of my mouth, usually coated in beer bubbles late on on a Friday. :D

Cinco, it sounds like you were bursting out with a number from "Listen and Remember". "From the Birthplace of Jackson, Hurah Hurah, We come from the red hills of old Waxhaw...." Anyway, I'm native and definitely consider myself North Carolinian. There are too many other things in this state to be proud in addition to Charlotte. The Outer Banks, The beautiful mountains, towns like Wilmington, Boone, and Asheville. After North Carolinian though, I consider myself Carolinian, Where I grew up a good hard sneeze could throw you into SC. With SC's history and beautiful coastline, cities like Charleston etc. how can you not be proud be both carry the Carolina moniker.

Cinco, it sounds like you were bursting out with a number from "Listen and Remember".  "From the Birthplace of Jackson, Hurah Hurah, We come from the red hills of old Waxhaw...."  Anyway, I'm native and definitely consider myself North Carolinian.  There are too many other things in this state to be proud in addition to Charlotte.  The Outer Banks, The beautiful mountains, towns like Wilmington, Boone, and Asheville.  After North Carolinian though, I consider myself Carolinian, Where I grew up a good hard sneeze could throw you into SC.  With SC's history and beautiful coastline, cities like Charleston etc. how can you not be proud be both carry the Carolina moniker.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

appatone, wow, i never knew being from waxhaw could be stereotyped so easily...but you all have nailed it. for, i once played young andy in "listen and remember". it was the '85 season....you'll probably recall. rave reviews.

"...a masterpiece of historical truth, triumphant in its glory. hold onto your whigs - this seasons performance is wild and scandalous from the firing of the first muzzle." - the village voice (waxhaw)

"...not just good, like quincy's. great, like golden coral. if you could mix bojangles with hardees and sprinkle in some sonny's..." - the enquirer journal (monroe)

"SUCCESSION!!!" - the herald (rock hill)

*all silliness aside. i found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed reading all of your posts. i hope to contribute in a more professional aspect from time to time.

Archived